How bad is the rust on this 80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks,

I could use some help. I'll be taking a look at a 97 LX this weekend but have received some videos of the vehicle in advance. I've been a CA native my whole life and have always owned cars that are at most greasy underneath. So never having dealt with a vehicle that has come anywhere other than CA, I have a hard time evaluating how bad the rust on this 80 is. To me, any rust seems bad, but figured I'd go ahead and ask for opinions. Thanks in advance!

I know it's hip to hate on California but sure am stoked we don't dump salt all over our roads.

does not look bad at all, but looks like it might have had a couple rattle cans bombed on the frame rails in the rear wheel arches, though it might have been still damp from a recent wash too...... Has way less than mine had when I bought mine outta PA,

looks like just surface rusts, no biggie in the rust belt. But do note that fasteners will be rusted/corroded so expect a bit more elbow grease. If that's something you don't want to deal with then definitely get a rust free one, but expect to pay premium.

looks like just surface rusts, no biggie in the rust belt. But do note that fasteners will be rusted/corroded so expect a bit more elbow grease. If that's something you don't want to deal with then definitely get a rust free one, but expect to pay premium.

Soaking the underside with bar chain oil or Fluid Film, including all the fasteners, will make something with that little bit of rust easy to work on after a few months.

Plenty of rust free and low rust 80's for sale in the southeast. That one doesn't look bad but as others have said the price would be the determining factor for me.

Thanks for the feedback so far. The main reason I am attracted to this vehicle is because it is reasonably low miles (189k), good paint and interior (minus front drivers seat), is lifted and on brand new 35's, and most of all has the TRD supercharger. It sounds like it's still worth taking a look at this weekend.

Typically I would say that it always depends on price. But my experience with the rust has not been good. Spending 30 minutes to take off badly rusted bolt instead of 30 seconds wears on you after a while. I will never buy a cruiser with rust again. Of course I live in the south east so I can easily get them rust free.

If you are planning on keeping it for a while I would look for rust free.

Agree with musthave.
#IH8RUST

No worse than the rust on mine... doesn’t look structural.

For me, despite more rust than I’d prefer, the price, mileage, overall condition and timing were right at the time. I’m spending time bit by bit removing rust and painting. Removing rusted bolts sucks, no matter what.

If I could have found a more pristine absolutely rust free rig within in my budget? Probably would have been better. But I couldn’t find one at the time. Is the one you posted too rusty? Only you can say for sure.

There is never a day I regret purchasing my Cruiser. Not one.

“There are many like it, but this one is mine...”

With the supercharger and otherwise clean that is tempting. In this area with even that amount of rust I would wait. There are frequently clean 80s in the bay area. Better yet lurk the classifieds on Mud and try to find a clean one built with some skills. What you have there is gonna need some work and not just the rust. Nothing major just as others have mentioned everything is much more difficult to remove.
upload_2018-1-16_19-12-39.png

HI could use some help. I'll be taking a look at a 97 LX this weekend but have received some videos of the vehicle in advance.

That's the same rig we were criticizing a couple weeks ago. I recognize the custom, weird drop-bracket for the rear track bar @28 seconds.

Here you go:

Identifying a lift

As for rust, I'm more concerned about why there's so much bare steel under there. It looks like someone half-assed a rust removal job, then didn't bother to spray it with paint.

That's the same rig we were criticizing a couple weeks ago. I recognize the custom, weird drop-bracket for the rear track bar @28 seconds.

Here you go:

Identifying a lift

As for rust, I'm more concerned about why there's so much bare steel under there. It looks like someone half-assed a rust removal job, then didn't bother to spray it with paint.

That is exactly the vehicle...

The owner did say that he went to prep ahead of applying POR-15, but never got around to it. I agree completely that the lift looks like a hack job. Knowing now that it has been for sale for a while suggests that this owner only bought it to flip it for a profit.

I may still go take a look at it since I will be within a reasonable distance from the seller. If I can take him down a few grand I may just strip the S/C off, finish the rust removal, and sell it off. That or save the effort and start saving for the turbo kit...

Agree with Gummy...looks like it was wire wheeled and evenly coated with surface rust.

That is exactly the vehicle...

If I can take him down a few grand I may just strip the S/C off, finish the rust removal, and sell it off. That or save the effort and start saving for the turbo kit...

Not a fan of that plan. Buy it and treat it right or move on so someone else can.

The owner did say that he went to prep ahead of applying POR-15, but never got around to it. I agree completely that the lift looks like a hack job. Knowing now that it has been for sale for a while suggests that this owner only bought it to flip it for a profit.

For what it's worth, I don't think the lift is particularly bad, just weird. Plus, it seems kind of pointless given the tire size. Also, I just don't get why someone would strip paint and rust, then leave it bare. I mean, just hit it with some $.99 paint from Ace Hardware. It makes me doubt everything else about the vehicle. Nothing worse than a dumb person doing something more complicated than an oil change...

Incidentally, not knowing what that lift *is* or who engineered and welded it, I wouldn't want to be involved in the chain of sales involving it. You sell it to the next guy, he rolls it on the freeway when the front radius arms detach from the frame, and he sues you for damages.

Is that square tubing just home Depot stuff or some decent thick stiff? If that is hacked and obvious, what else was done that you can't see?

Also the rust is only surface but goes to show only prep a section at at time! I've been doing my undercarriage for sometime now and it seems I'll never be finished!

Last edited:
Looks nice to me. A quick scrape and spray a little corrosion x hd and it would look new again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom