What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (27 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I've been fighting with (and still am) whether I should sell my FJ62 once I hit the bottom of Argentina (currently driving an American registered FJ62 from Los Angeles down there), or if I should ship it to Denmark... Reason says no. Heart says HELL YEAH! There's so much I still want to do on the FJ62, and if I sell it, it probably won't get done.

If I sell it I might be able to find another one for future overlander-projects in Europe... Not very likely... And it wouldn't be the same no matter which one I find :-( However I have been thinking... And I love the FJ62, but it's not cheap to drive it 25000 miles. So maybe a 100-series would be better for a future drive.

Shoot me down guys. Heart or reason? 100-series or stay with 60-series?? View attachment 1588183
I'd be hard pressed to get rid of an iconic rig that just got you from LA to the bottom of Argentina. Especially a white one (my 60 is white :D).

You'll be able to find 100's in good shape for years to come, and the economics of operating a 100 vs a 62 probably aren't that far apart. Last time I checked they had diesel LCs in Europe. You should find a nice 1HZ while you're in Denmark and do a swap;)

It's funny, because I went backwards, chronologically speaking to arrive at my FJ60. Started out with a 2008 Sequoia (not an LC, I know), and had a '96 80 series, and have had my '85 FJ60 for 5 years now. It's much less refined, but has more character than the others. It's rugged and utilitarian, and built like an anvil.

If it was me, I'd keep the 62 and keep the adventures going with it.

I'm letting the Con-Ferr attachments soak in an Apple Cider bath for about 48 hours. Then I will sand them and paint them
I'm sanding painting the 4.5 x 7ft roof rack with Rustoleum. The rack was in great shape minus some service rust. Hey, I dont think any Cruiser Head would pass up a Con-Ferr in this condition for $100.

20171210_120856.jpg

I'd be hard pressed to get rid of an iconic rig that just got you from LA to the bottom of Argentina. Especially a white one (my 60 is white :D).

You'll be able to find 100's in good shape for years to come, and the economics of operating a 100 vs a 62 probably aren't that far apart. Last time I checked they had diesel LCs in Europe. You should find a nice 1HZ while you're in Denmark and do a swap;)

It's funny, because I went backwards, chronologically speaking to arrive at my FJ60. Started out with a 2008 Sequoia (not an LC, I know), and had a '96 80 series, and have had my '85 FJ60 for 5 years now. It's much less refined, but has more character than the others. It's rugged and utilitarian, and built like an anvil.

If it was me, I'd keep the 62 and keep the adventures going with it.

On this trip I'm on right now, I have to look up a lot of stuff ahead of time... "Is it safe to hike that volcano without a guide", "is it a good idea to stroll down the alleys of San Salvador" and so on... I always find answers on the internet that says: "no, you'll die". But if I keep looking, I'll eventually find some crazy dude who says it's totally doable, and not dangerous at all.

@Nostradamus, you're that guy right now. Thanks a lot :-D

A lot of sense says: "no", but I freaking love this rig, and there's just so much I want to do to it. My girlfriend would probably love it if I spoke about her in the same way... Haha.

I've hesitated to comment because you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. You can't win either way. I don't know 100's but I'd be lost without my 60, we got rapport. You will may hate it cause you kept it (the 60), but you there will be no sunshine when she's gone.... I know, I know, I know...

Including Friday, worked on crossing off more items on my '86 FJ60 build punchlist:

1. Greased the OME suspension bushings and new steering components.

2. Torqued some of the hardware on the OME suspension, will finish with the nuts on fixed pins and shackle pins after, as the FSM puts it, the suspension is stabilized.

3. Installed the front and rear shock absorbers.

4. Removed the A/C evaporator (I know, I installed it before I realized I should replace the pressure switch, expansion valve, and three O-rings - wouldn't have caught this except for reading @Aloha Jen's reply to an earlier A/C post) and got it ready for new parts. Luckily I hadn't finished installing the entire dash yet. Inventoried my O-rings, labeled fittings, marked up parts diagrams, etc. getting ready to reinstall the system. Reviewed the Toyota R134a Retrofit Technical Sevice Bulletin, the FJ62 FSM, and the Toyota Air Conditioning Fundamentals and Repair manual. I also took a look at Coolstream's website - will order the PAG 46 oil, expansion valve, and adapter fittings tomorrow morning. And I'll order the pressure switch from toyotapartsdeal.com.

Not me or my 60 (I wish!). A friend forwarded me this picture. I don't know whose it is (cruiser or buns!), but looked like a great photo at an awesome place!
IMG_7977.JPG

Not me or my 60 (I wish!). A friend forwarded me this picture. I don't know whose it is (cruiser or buns!), but looked like a great photo at an awesome place!
View attachment 1589722
I have seen that photo on instagram before. Think it was an advertisement photo.

Forgot to mention that I also changed out the brass pin to fix my intermittent horn problem. Turns out my old brass pin was fine, however. The electrical connection was just barely hanging on. Went ahead and replaced anyways and kept the old one. Reconnected the connection and clamped it down a little tighter. It was the first time I've ever taken a steering wheel off. It was pretty interesting to see how all of that works. FYI, I did not use a wheel puller.

IMG_8048.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8047.JPG

On this trip I'm on right now, I have to look up a lot of stuff ahead of time... "Is it safe to hike that volcano without a guide", "is it a good idea to stroll down the alleys of San Salvador" and so on... I always find answers on the internet that says: "no, you'll die". But if I keep looking, I'll eventually find some crazy dude who says it's totally doable, and not dangerous at all.

@Nostradamus, you're that guy right now. Thanks a lot :-D

A lot of sense says: "no", but I freaking love this rig, and there's just so much I want to do to it. My girlfriend would probably love it if I spoke about her in the same way... Haha.
How random you'd mention San Salvador. I spent a lot of time surfing in El Salvador (just outside of La Libertad at a GREAT place called K9 Surftours) over the past 15 years. It's at kilometer marker 59. San Salvador (and all of El Salv.) has gotten progressively sketchier over the past decade. My experience in El Salvador is that most of the people there are delightful and sincere. There is a segment of the population who are petty thieves/husslers and are more of an annoyance than anything else. Not likely to seriously harm you, but you would be well advised to hand over your watch or wallet if there are many of them and one or two of you. There is an industrial strength criminal element centered around the drug trade and battling the government's attempts to intercede in the drug trade. Getting on the wrong side of these guys or caught in the crossfire during one of their battles can get you killed in a hurry. If you steer clear of their game, you'd only encounter them by accident.

If your rig has good karma, I'd keep it :steer:

Pretty active day yesterday for BeBe as she got a new radiator. Old was doing ok but on its last leg due to split a the seam on the upper tank. As long as the tank was not full then it didn't really leak. But with it being in the teens/20s at night as of late I figured it was a good time to replace before heat of the summer hits. Took about 6hrs for me to complete and was interesting.

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

I am due to replace my radiator too. Just a small leak that hasn't gotten worse in the three years I've had this beast.
I did change all 8.5 quarts of oil today and checked to see if the 4-speed was full. Ninety weight started dripping out of the fill hole, it looked clean, but foamy. I suspect it hasn't been changed in the 107k miles, but I don't know. The fill plug and drain plug didn't show any signs of abuse like you get from those quick lube places. Hmmm?
What are you all's thoughts on foamy 90 W? The color looked like rust too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom