Northwesttaco's 80 series crawler slammed on 4d's and BS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems like a fairly easy thing to overcome...

The Cure!
Yeah but it's not... it just makes the binding happen more readily by forcing the tie rod end into polyurethane. People try to implement crossover steering as an improvement over y/t-link geometry because it sucks.

Yeah but it's not... it just makes the binding happen more readily by forcing the tie rod end into polyurethane. People try to implement crossover steering as an improvement over y/t-link geometry because it sucks.

Meh, I've lived with y/t link steering forever on my Early Bronco. I guess ignorance is bliss but all solid axle rigs i've wheeled always are a little numb.

Sounds like the only answer is full hydro then, or just run it like everyone else has for years.
What? No, it's to retain crossover steering... either like the factory had it, or with a traditional high-steer drag link, low-steer or high-steer tie rod, etc.

My $.02 from experience, these axles need both upper gusset and could really use a front lateral gusset going all the way to the edge of the knuckle balls. the housing wall is super thin and will bend if the impact is strong enough. I am currently waiting on a new Diamond axle for the front because the factory housing bent. I'll have to redo all my 3 link, coilover, shock mounts on the new axle and it sucks.

Don't mined @nukegoat he means well & knows what he is talking about. Follow his rig build Marshmallow.

Stock wheel base is 115", at least where I looked? Internet info for ya.

Yeah debating on the gears.. I have an appointment at Torfab on the 24th to have them done but not sure a 25% reduction is worth nearly $1500.. we'll see, hopefully going to test Andrew's on the rocks this week and that'll tell me.
In my opinion the Tcase gears are a huge improvement & the only chance to reduce gearing. Unlees you want to go with a 60 series manual & Tcase. On the H high end there are 10% under or over for more options on pavement.

Last edited:
Hey Apounder's truck looks great!

I agree with Nukegoat's comments regarding y-link steering. I have it and it sucks. You'll learn to live with the clunking sound when you turn the wheel each time. Y-link is a compromise you make due to space and interference. What you really want it crossover steering. I'm looking at ways to make it work on mine, but it will involve notching the frame on the passenger side.

I also had RuffStuff's "The Cure"and their TREs, both of which I thought were pretty poor. That Cure spacer didn't last. In a Y-link setup that tierod NEEDS to roll by design, that's just how it works. The Cure spacer tries to limit some of that roll and dead spot but IMO it doesn't really help.

Just wheel it till it needs fixing :cheers:

I agree with Nukegoat's comments regarding y-link steering. I have it and it sucks. You'll learn to live with the clunking sound when you turn the wheel each time. Y-link is a compromise you make due to space and interference. What you really want it crossover steering. I'm looking at ways to make it work on mine, but it will involve notching the frame on the passenger side.

I also had RuffStuff's "The Cure"and their TREs, both of which I thought were pretty poor. That Cure spacer didn't last. In a Y-link setup that tierod NEEDS to roll by design, that's just how it works. The Cure spacer tries to limit some of that roll and dead spot but IMO it doesn't really help.

I have it as well, and like you it was very "meh" until I added my hydro assist. The cure is OK, but took a lot of work to make fit, and it doesn't seal worth a crap.

Ever since the day I added that magic ram, the steering dead spot is damn near gone, and the steering in general got a whole lot tighter.

I'm no longer itching for high steer like I was 2 years ago.

Yeah im not worried. Andrew and many others have been wheeling it for years without issue. Im used to how it drives so don't really care to change it unless something bad happens.

If you guys weren't a nation away, there are some dudes (including myself) here in NC who aspire to get to this level. Would looooove to see these rigs in person. Great build, keep it up and have fun taking this build in a direction not many people go! I'll be following along.

If you guys weren't a nation away, there are some dudes (including myself) here in NC who aspire to get to this level. Would looooove to see these rigs in person. Great build, keep it up and have fun taking this build in a direction not many people go! I'll be following along.
Fly out for an event (TnS, Rubithon, etc.) I've taken a few out of towners wheeling with me in the past and a passenger is almost always welcome especially when they are bringing some quality adult refreshments.

Fly out for an event (TnS, Rubithon, etc.) I've taken a few out of towners wheeling with me in the past and a passenger is almost always welcome especially when they are bringing some quality adult refreshments.

Like Ensure or what

I do the same. I had people in my passenger seat I had never met before at BHCC a few years ago. They didn't even bring me good refreshments. That was a little sad

Cruiser is sitting at Torfab on the lift ready for transfer case gears tomorrow. Miscommunication as my original appointment was Monday but they still got me in.
I would probably suggest part timing the t case while in there. I didnt and sort of regret it

Not going to. Thought about it but like having the awd for going over the mountain passes in the winter and not having to pull over and get out to lock hubs
Its totally fine to keep awd but if you end up wanting more caster but dont want driveline vibration, etc, you need part time to do so. Just limiting overall. But yeah, i didnt either.

Its totally fine to keep awd but if you end up wanting more caster but dont want driveline vibration, etc, you need part time to do so. Just limiting overall. But yeah, i didnt either.
They built mine with 6 degrees caster and I like where it's at, don't really see a need for much more.
I thought about part time though in case I break a driveshaft or something. But I'll just put in the center diff lock anytime mod and should be good

Marlin gears installed early this morning thanks to my buddy Nick who's the lead tech at Torfab. He snapped this pic this evening. Featuring LS swapped 80, 70 series troopy, and Ruger!
Screen Shot 2017-11-22 at 6.26.31 PM.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom