Yet another FJ60...3rd time's the charm! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks. "Scorpion Cruiser" huh? That damned thing made me drop the vent...Lol. Was just a dried out exoskeleton.

Erse: Krylon Dual satin black from Advance Auto Parts; not all stores stock satin black but all can order it; cleaning and electric wire wheeling each part down to bare metal

60Toy: do you mean the spare tire crank?

Jim: believe it or not eBay and the truck had always been in TX

Will post more pics soon. Just got the 60's drivers seat back from the interior shop (same shop did the interior for the replica Lykan Hypersports used in Fast and Furious 7 movie). Replaced torn and oil stained sections as well repaired the seat foam. Seat looks brand new.

Since I've been up playing Santa late tonight and can't fall back asleep...here's the new drivers seat reassembled, tracks repainted, and reinstalled.

Before:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451032309.292170.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451032350.358835.jpg

After:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451032425.998580.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451032440.049991.jpg

Along with the repaired driver's seat, I did some work to the rear seat too. Installed another rear center seatbelt to replace the broken retractable belt...until I can get enough time to install the Fj62 rear shoulder belts. And disassembled the seat back so I could paint the upper seat frame too.

Last edited:
Almost done with the exterior 3 stage paint buffing. The 60 is looking great! After 30 years of applying wax and buffing compound by hand, I finally bought an electric buffer...why did I wait this long?!?!?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451072057.955067.jpg

Last edited:
Replaced torn and oil stained sections as well repaired the seat foam. Seat looks brand new.

where did you get new seat covers in the OEM pattern? or did you have the fabric replaced? where did you source that fabric or who did it?

thanks!

Just find someone parting a FJ60 with the same color interior and buy the seat or just the seat covers off the seats. Rear seats are usually in good condition and offer a ton of good quality fabric to recycle.

As long as the fabric isn't torn or dry rot from sun exposure, a good washing with HOT water and scrubbing with upholstery cleaner can make the most hopeless looking fabric appear new.

An auto upholstery shop can remove your seat cover, unstitch and remove the worn/torn section, and use it as a pattern to cut fabric from your "recycled" seat cover. Then restitch in the "new" section and put the seat back together (including repairing the foam) leaving it looking brand new.

Ping me via PM if you are looking for the grey/blue striped FJ60 fabric as I have a small hoard of it I purchased for my last FJ60. Love that interior color combo so much better than my "harvest gold" color.

Oh, if anyone has any extra seat(s) with the "harvest gold" fabric like mine and would be interested in selling the seats (or preferably just the seat covers) please let me know...

If your entire interior fabric needs replacing this isn't really cost effective. But if it's just to recondition the driver's seat in order to save the rest of the interior (like me) it's the only way to find the NLA fabric.

But I thought Shane (think that's his name?) from Metric TLC was having the FJ60 fabric remanufactured to exactly copy OEM fabric??? Think there might be a thread about it here somewhere on MUD...

Anyway, I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Just find someone parting a FJ60 with the same color interior and buy the seat or just the seat covers off the seats. Rear seats are usually in good condition and offer a ton of good quality fabric to recycle.

As long as the fabric isn't torn or dry rot from sun exposure, a good washing with HOT water and scrubbing with upholstery cleaner can make the most hopeless looking fabric appear new.

An auto upholstery shop can remove your seat cover, unstitch and remove the worn/torn section, and use it as a pattern to cut fabric from your "recycled" seat cover. Then restitch in the "new" section and put the seat back together (including repairing the foam) leaving it looking brand new.

Ping me via PM if you are looking for the grey/blue striped FJ60 fabric as I have a small hoard of it I purchased for my last FJ60. Love that interior color combo so much better than my "harvest gold" color.

Oh, if anyone has any extra seat(s) with the "harvest gold" fabric like mine and would be interested in selling the seats (or preferably just the seat covers) please let me know...

If your entire interior fabric needs replacing this isn't really cost effective. But if it's just to recondition the driver's seat in order to save the rest of the interior (like me) it's the only way to find the NLA fabric.

But I thought Shane (think that's his name?) from Metric TLC was having the FJ60 fabric remanufactured to exactly copy OEM fabric??? Think there might be a thread about it here somewhere on MUD...

Anyway, I hope this helps.

so i had pulled a drivers seat,, but had not thought of pulling a rear seat to harvest the fabric! awesome idea!

thanks

Replaced the antenna mast...no need to unwire everything as the mast just pulls out of the base with a pair of plyers. Nice! What I thought would be 1 hour was a 5 min job!

Just took the truck on a ~300 mile highway round trip. Had to stop and get the rear wheels rebalanced. Kudos to Discount Tire...I pulled up at 5:30 (closing at 6) and they did the rebalancing work at no charge with no paperwork from the prior owner's tire purchase from back in late 2012. Of course I found the papers when I got home...

On the road trip I was getting 14 MPG!!! Had to double check my math and double-check by also tracking MPGs on the trip home. Kept the truck between 65-70MPH and no AC running. By comparison, my late '79 FJ40 is lucky to get 10 MPG.

Really wanted to get a set of 33" tires to replace the 31" tires, but at 14 MPG I'm not touching the tire size!

Took one of my sons and the 60 today to a car show here in Atlanta. At just 2.5 years old he can already properly spot other FJs!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451881685.931650.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451881768.234614.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451881791.220020.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451881821.722376.jpg

You can really tell the difference in the gloss of the paint by comparing to the passenger side...that side still hasn't been buffed out yet. Can't believe 31+ year old paint can look this good.

Pulled off the rain gutter chrome trim as it was loose and bent in some places.

I love this Tan rig there is something special about it. Can't pin it down in words exactly but a lot of you know what I'm getting at I think.

Now a second Tan 60 and a Hula girl!:beer::clap:

Trip to Big Bear, CA, last spring when the snow was melting...overnight camping with two of my sons...slept inside the 60!
IMG_2234.JPG
IMG_2239.JPG
IMG_2256.JPG
IMG_2265.JPG
IMG_2267.JPG

Time for an update...

So I put the 60 to work helping with our latest move. And that did her in.

Not to shabby for this old LandCruiser as I got out a couple years out of a tired engine that burned oil.

Tried to use the spare twin FJ60 (shown in earlier post) as an engine donor. Good idea in concept but exponential labor cost made that a bad idea. Instead she became a parts donor for her nicer twin sister...

So, we will be going with a full engine rebuild and re-smog so she can be registered here in CA.

IMG_3907.JPG
IMG_3902.JPG
IMG_3904.JPG
IMG_3906.JPG
IMG_3903.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful 60! Thanks for keeping us updated especially with all the pictures. Keep em coming as you bring the scorpion cruiser back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom