Rebuilding Carb Question, stuck accelerator pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Trying my hand at rebuilding my first carb and my accelerator pump is stuck...it seems like it is just supposed to fall out, but mine is in there pretty good. Any tips on getting it out? Thanks!

IMG_1776.JPG

Trying my hand at rebuilding my first carb and my accelerator pump is stuck...it seems like it is just supposed to fall out, but mine is in there pretty good. Any tips on getting it out? Thanks!

View attachment 1535560
are you saying the pump plunger's top is broken off? All that should be in there is a spring a clip and a ball.

Your pump discharge weight also seems to be staying down...

light tapping with ball peen. Use a dead blow if you've got it.

Could also try a good soak in gasoline.

Blow some compressed air in the plunger hole...I used electrical tape to build up the nozzle so it sealed the hole....don't shoot your eye out kid....in other words, I would put a rag over it or hold it down as to not launch the stopper, spring, and check ball like shrapnel across the shop

IMG_6984.JPG

Well so far no luck. I am hesitant to hit it to hard with a ball peen hammer, and compressed air didn't do the trick, the thing is really stuck in there. My toyota dealer shows those parts are NLA or else I would try and drill it out.

Although, I haven't tried soaking it in gasoline...

Ding ding ding! I've got the answer. Unbend a staple. Stick it in from the inside of the bowl and push up. Could be if it's not moving then you have no spring. That's exactly how mine looked w/ that funky line cut into it and I believe 'if memory serves' I had no spring which is why it wasn't popping up like it should normally when the horn is removed from over it.

Also @Chad717 if you don't have a spring gather up ALL the pens in the house and you will find a spring that's close enough. Don't ask me why I know this.... just saying, I got lucky w/ number 5 pen.

Incase your wondering what I'm talking about... in this dark area there's the tiny port where the fuel shoots through. That's where you'll stick the straightened staple up into after you take the venturies off so you have space to get your hands in there.

IMG_8038.JPG

no luck so far, tried a paper clip and i couldn't get it up the port...i then switched to a safety pin and couldn't budge it either. got it soaking right now.

Staple! They're way thinner and far more stout. Bend it like a capital L and hang onto the small bent section.

Just searched thru my photos on my desktop but came up with nothing other than the exact scratch lines in mine but nothing of the staple. I know I sound silly but I just used a basic household one. Idk, maybe I got lucky. It was carb core I got from Georg... it was missing a bunch of weird parts which I why I finally hijacked my carb off the truck for its parts.

Maybe even a small suction cup could pull it up as well or a blob of something goopy. Hot glue maybe with a thread into the middle.

That's what Toyota calls a 'Pump Discharge Weight'. It has been staked in two places. Some rebuilders do that because it's what was done on earlier LC carbs to keep from falling out upon re-assembly.

Use an exacto-knife or very fine blade to remove the stake and then be careful with the compressed air to blow it out. Spring will fly to heaven if you let it.

@Spike Strip are the stakes you are talking about the two little holes? so use a blade around the edge of the pump discharge weight? when I do this the pump discharge weight turns easily, but still won't come out with compressed air.

Yeah that's what he means. It forces the material down and out to lock it outward making a lip under the very edge of the hole. So he's saying hold it still and lightly shave along the edge w/ a bit of a angle to the blade so it has no underlying lip. The plunger is soft so it should be fairly easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom