The Greatest tip for String trimmers Ever !! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok , If you take your spool off or the fixed length short sections of trimmer line and keep them submerged in a container of water when you aren't using the trimmer you will be absolutely amazed at how much longer your trimmer line lasts. I mean up to 10 times longer ! I prefer to use a fixed line head on my Stihl FS80 + FS65 and I can typically do a whole yards perimeter , side walks + fence lines , flower beds on 1 set of 2 12" strings (095) on my FS80 and usually do another yard or more on the same 2 pieces of trimmer line just by keeping them in water ! I never use anything smaller than 080 line , I feel the smaller sizes just aren't practical to begin with. And don't waste your money on cheapo trimmer line , I really like the Grass Gator Shaped line, Diamond Edge line and the Twisted line in various brands.

Ok , If you take your spool off or the fixed length short sections of trimmer line and keep them submerged in a container of water when you aren't using the trimmer you will be absolutely amazed at how much longer your trimmer line lasts. I mean up to 10 times longer ! I prefer to use a fixed line head on my Stihl FS80 + FS65 and I can typically do a whole yards perimeter , side walks + fence lines , flower beds on 1 set of 2 12" strings (095) on my FS80 and usually do another yard or more on the same 2 pieces of trimmer line just by keeping them in water ! I never use anything smaller than 080 line , I feel the smaller sizes just aren't practical to begin with. And don't waste your money on cheapo trimmer line , I really like the Grass Gator Shaped line, Diamond Edge line and the Twisted line in various brands.
Really , no comments ? If you keep your trimmer line in a can full of water you'll see for yourself what a difference it makes in how long the line lasts. I don't know why it works but When I tried it I was amazed and now i keep all my trimmer line under water when I'm not using it.

never heard that, but imagine that the submersion prevents the line from oxidizing??? I'll give it a shot next time I bust out the old echo...

don't forget, you need to submerge your trimmer line spool now and keep it in water all the time except when you are using it. I use a 1 gallon plastic bucket with a snap on lid to keep it clean, (the water and the line) and I keep the package spool that the line comes on in there too. It won't work if you just soak your line in water for a few minutes before using it

read that before but never tried to do it.
I could see that possibly it would keep the string less brittle but it's not obvious that polymer would let water in, if that's what's even happening.
I may take a bit of string and put some under water and see if it stays more supple as time goes by.

Got a Stihl trimmer head that takes inserts. They come in tube w/ sponge and directions to keep it wet.
I never use tap n go heads. All my trimmers have fixed line (insert) heads on them. they are quite a bit lighter and thus you can have more power to cut and operate at a lower rpm. but when I started keeping my trimmer line submerged in water boy was I surprised !

I have been tempted to use the fixed line heads, but never did because I thought they would break too often or shorten too fast and I'd spend a bunch of time changing them on long jobs. And likely you end up wasting half the line too probably. But if this works and the lines hold much better it may make it more viable.

I have been tempted to use the fixed line heads, but never did because I thought they would break too often or shorten too fast and I'd spend a bunch of time changing them on long jobs. And likely you end up wasting half the line too probably. But if this works and the lines hold much better it may make it more viable.
You should definitely try this, just remember you have to keep your line soaking in the water all the time when your're not using it , don't buy cheapo kmart/ ace hardware line. I've never tried it on anything smaller than 080 line. I use only 080, 095 and 105 line

I'll have to try this as I just had to install new line on my Stihl FS55 trimmer.

sounds like a great idea, until I am covered in water because the line is dripping all over me while I try to string the spool. if I used those sections like you this would be a pretty cool trick.

I use the Poly Cut head w/blades but also run trimmer line(the red stuff) thru it at the same time, best of both worlds, been using this set up for I bet close to 20 years on my Stihl's, currently a FS90

sounds like a great idea, until I am covered in water because the line is dripping all over me while I try to string the spool. if I used those sections like you this would be a pretty cool trick.
It will work just as well, just keep the spool in a bucket of water

Get you some square Oregon Gatorline, don't grind the piss out of it and you can forget all this keeping it wet nonsense...:cheers:

Get you some square Oregon Gatorline, don't grind the piss out of it and you can forget all this keeping it wet nonsense...:cheers:
It isn't nonsense , it makes a huge difference. If you don't want to bother, don't do it

It isn't nonsense , it makes a huge difference. If you don't want to bother, don't do it

As I recall you asked for comments did you not? Did you only mean ones that agreed with you? :confused:
Relax, don't get your panties all in a wad.

Going to look into this, the fixed line head seems like a good idea.

Seems to me you'd just cut the cable to a preset length and let those sit in water.

Out of curiosity, why so much hate for bump feed heads? I find them to be far better than fixed heads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom