New 60 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a nice survivor. And a bonus, it's been in the family. I would drive that forever.

You need to paint it if it is worn enough that rust might start. Otherwise, it's just old paint. Leave it alone, don't buff it. If you can keep in in the garage most of the time that paint has YEARS of life left in it. It looks authentic like that.

Very nice truck, do as little to it as you can, and baseline all the mechanical systems.

Save up for an H55f 5 speed. That will be a direct and easy swap.

Very nice FJ60. Good ones like this are getting unusual. Take care of it.

In my '86 FJ60 the tool roll is stowed in the drivers side rear cargo area, behind the panel with the stock bottle jack. Have you checked there yet?
I found a bottle jack under the drivers seat. I have entered looked behind the rear cargo panels. I didn't see an easy way to remove them ...

I'm going to get some new spark plugs this week. I saw there where some NGKs and Denso's recommended in the Toyota FSM. What is the MUD recommendation?

Denso. W14EX-U or resistor type W14EXR-U

On the 85 there should be a panel on the driver's side cargo that hides the water bag for the rear squinter. Should be a latch that turns to release it. Tool bag often hides in there.

coolfj40_2270_113209927

Last edited:
Denso. W14EX-U or resistor type W14EXR-U

On the 85 there should be a panel on the driver's side cargo that hides the water bag for the rear squinter. Should be a latch that turns to release it. Tool bag often hides in there.

coolfj40_2270_113209927
SS, I believe the rear jack/toolbag storage started in 86. All 85's I've seen are like the pic above. Easy check would be the underside of the drivers seat. If the forward mounts are the taller version and there are tiedown hooks mounted to the floor then you'll know.

SS, I believe the rear jack/toolbag storage started in 86. All 85's I've seen are like the pic above. Easy check would be the underside of the drivers seat. If the forward mounts are the taller version and there are tiedown hooks mounted to the floor then you'll know.

No luck finding the tool bag but I can definitely see where it was originally under the driver's seat. Bottle jack is still there.

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcomes everyone!

After giving it some thought I'm going to go with 31's for tires.)

Good idea to not lift and go with the 31's, IMO. Color looks nice from the photos, so I wouldn't paint it either. If the buffing works, that's great, otherwise consider it typical Cruiser patina. It's a beaut!

Today I put in some new plugs and during the install I found some cracked hoses and one that was c
Good idea to not lift and go with the 31's, IMO. Color looks nice from the photos, so I wouldn't paint it either. If the buffing works, that's great, otherwise consider it typical Cruiser patina. It's a beaut!
Thanks for the kind words. It looks much worse in person unfortunately. There are some areas that look bare metal but there's no rust. I feel like a decent paint job would really transform it. After I get a few more odds and ends cleaned up I think I'm going to look into paint.

I have a rear cargo carpet that's in great shape if you want to pay for box and shipping. I was going to try and sell it but I'd rather it go to good home. I also have the rear seat area in pretty good shape. My front is horrible and not worth anything. Let me know if your interested. It's just sitting in my attic

When putting in the spark plugs today I noticed some cracked hoses which I repaired and one that was completely disconnected. It's a big one but I'm not exactly sure what it does. Looks like it runs from the smog pump to the air cleaner?

I took the picture after I reconnected the hose but its the hose that runs toward the upper left corner of the pic. It was completely disconnected and the clamp was out of place, you can even see the imprint of the clamp a little ways up the hose. Can anyone tell me what this is exactly? Its definitely been disconnected for a while and I'm not sure if it was intentional or not. What would the consequences be with this hose disconnected? It does seem to run better now that I've reconnected it...

IMG_0935.JPG

I have a rear cargo carpet that's in great shape if you want to pay for box and shipping. I was going to try and sell it but I'd rather it go to good home. I also have the rear seat area in pretty good shape. My front is horrible and not worth anything. Let me know if your interested. It's just sitting in my attic

Definitely! That would be awesome. Nothing would make me happier than to get this truck looking back like it did when I was a kid.

Congrats! What a great looking rig and an excellent story.

What paint code is that? I'm pretty sure that's the original color of my 60...8b4. Can't wait to get mine painted it's original color.

Congrats! What a great looking rig and an excellent story.

What paint code is that? I'm pretty sure that's the original color of my 60...8b4. Can't wait to get mine painted it's original color.

I looked the paint up once and I think that's correct. Is it easy to get the paint matched? I saw a place online that will sell you the paint but can you also just go to the local automotive paint store and give them a code and have them mix it up for you?

I looked the paint up once and I think that's correct. Is it easy to get the paint matched? I saw a place online that will sell you the paint but can you also just go to the local automotive paint store and give them a code and have them mix it up for you?

It's easy to get the paint matched at an automotive paint store being that its a stock Toyota color. When my time comes, I'll go down to the local paint store to get mine mixed up. Now, if you were talking some crazy custom paint with candy and pearl added, that's a different story. If you can, take a paint chip or a really good clarity picture with you so you can make sure you're happy with the blend. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

It's easy to get the paint matched at an automotive paint store being that its a stock Toyota color. When my time comes, I'll go down to the local paint store to get mine mixed up. Now, if you were talking some crazy custom paint with candy and pearl added, that's a different story. If you can, take a paint chip or a really good clarity picture with you so you can make sure you're happy with the blend. Shouldn't be a problem at all.
Are you going to do the work yourself?

I'm going to do as much of the prep as I can in my garage. Once I get the truck sanded down, I'll have a better idea if there's any surprises. Once I get the prep done, I'll take it in to have any dent repair done and then have it sprayed.

First things first, I'm taking the frame out and having it blasted and painted. Also going to coat the underbody. I want to make sure this thing outlasts me once I'm done restoring it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom