New 60 Owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wanted to introduce myself to the board. My name is Steve and I recently inherited my Dad's 1985 FJ60 that he purchased brand new. I'm looking to do some work and this site seems like the best resource on the web for a guy like me. Hopefully you guys can give me some advice to help me along with getting this rig bad in good shape. It has been neglected a bit.

Right now it's stock with 112k miles. I spent the first few days cleaning her up and doing fluid changes. Overall its in pretty good shape. The worst area is the paint, it is badly oxidized. Other than that the rear carpet in the cargo area is shot but the rest isn't too bad. The seats have the usual '60 wear on the drivers seat. And probably the most important detail of all... no rust! This vehicle lived it's life in California and has been driven on the street exclusively.

My plan is to keep the vehicle mostly stock and will mostly be used as a camping vehicle. All childhood camping trips took place in this vehicle and I'd like to carry on that tradition. I already have a nicely built go-anywhere TJ that suits my needs for any hardcore offroading adventures.

I'd like to replace the tires pretty soon. I'm trying to decide between 31's and 33's. Seems a lift would be needed for 33's but would 31's fit on it currently? If a lift is in order it will be a modest one. Tires need to be snow capable, I was thinking AT's with an aggressive look if anyone has any suggestions?

Here are some pics. Let me know what you guys think.

IMG_0900.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0894.JPG
IMG_0897.JPG
IMG_0898.JPG
IMG_0900.JPG

Sweet low mileage FJ60!

You can probably run 31's without too much trouble, assuming your leaf springs still have some lift. BFGoodrich All Terrain KO2's are a good quality option that aren't terribly expensive.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you do end up installing a lift kit, then you're almost certainly going to want to upgrade to 33" tires. If you have a large enough budget, you should do the lift before the tires.

Looks like a great 60! 31s are perfect for stock suspension. 33s with 2" lift is most common upgrade. If you ever see snow, forget the ATs and opt for MTs.

@klinetime574

Steve, let me help you. A neglected 60 is going to bankrupt you, its not worth it. I am feeling charitable let me come up there and take it off your hands so you can buy a nice econobox ;)

Seriously though I am envious of your 60 because of its history, good job keeping it in the family. I sold a 60 recently that had a 2ish inch lift and 33's and I thought it was just about spot on in terms of stance etc. Lots of options out there just read as many threads as you can before plunking down your hard earned $$'s on a suspension. With that low mileage maybe the original suspension still has life left in it?

Great looking rig. If you do lift it and go up to 33s, don't forget to re-gear. You can buy a used set of FJ62 third members that just slide right in for around $300. Have fun making it yours. Welcome to Mud.

Nice rig and story. Got mine from my Dad as well. I'd recommend a lift kit. @reevesci will have some Tough Dog kits for sale soon (if not already). Looks like a nice option. OME is tried and true but I think there are a few modifications that need to be made to run the kit. Welding in the spring eyes being the main one. Tough Dog doesn't use sleeves in the spring eyes so that's already an advantage in my book.

If you're comfortable leaving it like that 31's are a great option. Just see what it looks like loaded with camping gear. I have a feeling you'll be riding on bump stops.

Looking forward to seeing your build!

I like it. Same color as mine and almost same except my paint....lil better. I have 109K on mine. I lifted my 60 2in with OME. Rides smooth. I put on 31x10.5x15 Toyo Open Countrys.AT2s .ride smooth and do well off road. If you stay stock height 31s look real nice. If you go with lift, I recommend the 32s, 33s are taller and look real cool. I stayed with 31s since itwould have limited my entry into the garage with a roof rack,..something to consider if you park in garage. I also recommend if you lift and go bigger tires adding some A pillar and B:cheers: pillar grips to assist with the entry. My wife is very happy I ordered the A pillar grip for her..

Welcome to MUD!! :steer:

Thanks for the kind words and warm welcomes everyone!

After giving it some thought I'm going to go with 31's for tires. I don't think I would recognize the old truck with anything bigger, plus I don't have the funds to put in the other necessary upgrades to run 33's.

Besides that I have some odds and ends to fix like broken reflectors and various other broken/worn items but thankfully nothing major and nothing I've had trouble finding so far. Just a matter of placing orders and explaining it to my wife, lol. I have a feeling some of the guys on this board can relate...

My next project is what to do about the exterior. I don't need a flawless finish but the oxidation on this paint is down right offensive. I thought about taking a buffer to it just to see how well I can get it to look. I did a small area on the hood by hand and, although it didn't match the fender, it al,osteoporosis looked passable. I might get flamed for this idea but had anyone tried that "Dip your car" stuff? I know it doesn't last but I thought it ,ight get me through until I can spend the money on a proper paint jog ($$$!)

*almost looked passable

Sorry! Typing on my tablet and somehow submitted it by mistake while fixing typos. Seems we aren't allowed to edit posts for spelling on this board?

Another question...
I saw somewhere online that FJ60s came with a tool roll with tools in it? If so, where did they put it from the factory? I didnt see one in my truck but I would be surprised if my dad removed. it.

Tool roll is usually just tucked under driver seat with the jack extension and handle. Best thing you can do is leave the paint until you have funding for a paint job. Any "short term" fixes in this department will cost you (and the truck) in the long run. Just get used to calling it "patina" and you will be fine!

Like farman said wait til you have the funds for a real paint job. Maybe throw some wax on it in the meantime for protection. The dip stuff I would avoid, its just wasted money to me and not very cheap.

Great looking 60. 31x10.50's work great on a stock truck, just remember to add about 10% to your indicated speed. There aren't a lot of 33x10.50 options and I'm pretty sure most tire shops won't mount 33x12.50 tires on the stock rims.

My '85 is blue and a light buffing made it look better - not perfect but it is 32 year old paint.

Enjoy it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I'm going to go with your guys suggestions and just buff the paint to try to make it look as good as I can until I can afford a decent paint job.

In my '86 FJ60 the tool roll is stowed in the drivers side rear cargo area, behind the panel with the stock bottle jack. Have you checked there yet?

Last edited:
As mentioned previously, 31" BFG ATs go perfectly on a stock 60 series. KO2s are also very good in the snow. Regardless of which tire you go with, enjoy in good health.

In my '86 FJ60 the tool roll is stowed in the drivers side rear cargo area, behind the panel with the stock bottle jack. HAve you checked there yet?

Ditto in my "87.

Sometimes the tool bag is hidden in one of the compartments behind the cargo panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom