Starter noise/clunk (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did you find that fixed the issue?

The starter had been rebuilt by the previous owner and that did not fix the issue with the loud noise. I ended up getting a re-manufactured genuine Toyota starter back in 2013 and have not had an issue since.

In know this is an old theead, but I’m hoping to find some resolve. So was the consensus a chipped tooth on the flywheel?, or a starter tolerance issue. I bought a ‘94 with the same issue. Ive never had it on any other 80's I’ve owned which were a '94 and '95. I’d like to get it fixed, and if that means pulling the transmission I’ll do it, but don’t want to if I don’t have to.

What would be the best way to check? Visual inspection of the teeth on the flywheel? Starter is OEM but old, it does have new contacts.

Last edited:
In know this is an old theead, but I’m hoping to find some resolve. So was the consensus a chipped tooth on the flywheel?, or a starter tolerance issue. I bought a ‘94 with the same issue. Ive never had it on any other 80's I’ve owned which were a '94 and '95. I’d like to get it fixed, and if that means pulling the transmission I’ll do it, but don’t want to if I don’t have to.

What would be the best way to check? Visual inspection of the teeth on the flywheel? Starter is OEM but old, it does have new contacts.
Did anyone figure out what the solution was? I had my 97 for 5 yrs before it started doing this. Only started after my key broke and had to put a new ignition cylinder in. I know this is a 15 yr old post but if anyone has successfully fixed this issue, plz lmk. Thanx

Did anyone figure out what the solution was? I had my 97 for 5 yrs before it started doing this. Only started after my key broke and had to put a new ignition cylinder in. I know this is a 15 yr old post but if anyone has successfully fixed this issue, plz lmk. Thanx
I replaced my starter with a new OEM starter and haven’t had the issue since the replacement. I tried afrermarket and rebuilding but never had success until the OEM replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom