Thoughts on importing a HZJ75? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone out there have experience with a Webasto or Espar unit. Any pros or cons of either company? What unit would you recommend for a HZJ75 Troopy? Finally, what would you expect to (or have) paid for one of these units with a quality install?

They are both German companies, therefore quality :). The only difference I was told between the two is that Webasto is now owned by some other company. Espar you can buy any part, including a specific bolt or nut, Webasto you can only buy sub assemblies to replace/repair, so I was told. They both offer a simple on/off controller or a 7 day controller, where you can set 3 pre-sets for when you want it to come on, or just turn on/off. I don't know if either now offer remote starts, seems like I remember someone saying something about this. Smarter people than me have figured out ways to install auto starts and use these to remotely start them.
As to cost, you will have to find dealers and ask. I think they are roughly in the $1100-1400 range, install would be shop labor don't know how much time they charge for installs. If you have any mechanically inclined friends you should be able to install it on your own.

I
Anyone out there have experience with a Webasto or Espar unit. Any pros or cons of either company? What unit would you recommend for a HZJ75 Troopy? Finally, what would you expect to (or have) paid for one of these units with a quality install?
I have an espar, bought in US yet most of the detailed information it comes with is in German, yet to install it but if all things were equal webasto might be friendlier in terms of technical service. I can't remember what advantage for my set up made me chose the espar, buried now at the back of my mind.. Now that you remind me I might have to consult the scribblings in my build thread LOL!

Edit: I now remember I got a good price for one in a sealed box for mounting underneath up the back, and I also went for the option of the dual battery fan heater, where as soon as the espar starts the battery source for the cab ventilation fans changes from the factory to auxiliary. As coldtaco said lots of options for changing Parts as you please... I think I was swayed just from seeing all the german build troopy tourers using them more so than webasto, but I never saw any evidence than one was more reliable or more efficient than the other. But I plan to run it all night as a cab heater, not just for cold starts, and espar seemed to cater more to that market, at least i thought at the time 4 years ago!

Last edited:
I installed myself a second hand webasto. Had another one on the old truck, it ran for 4 years without issue. at 100 euro ebay price, once it dies, u just buy another one.
I routed a dash switch and a gps locator. with the gps locator you can start the webasto by text message, so all very decent.

I have basic mechanical skills, so It took me a while to rig it, but its not that difficult really.

Most time was spent figuring out where to install it and how to make brackets for it. I managed to install it with only one extra drilled hole.

however, not all second hand units can be fired by switch. some are computer controlled, so useless for our situation.

@coldtaco, @damienperu, and @ALEXY. Thanks for the responses and info. I like being able to buy individual parts should something need fixing down the road. I am much more of the repair what you can instead of replacing and create less waste in the process.

@damienperu, my first priority is to have a happy warm engine on really cold mornings for starting. That being said, I plan on building a camping platform in the back as well and would love a warm interior for cold weather camping. From what I understand you have the coolent heater for warm engine starts, and the air heater for interior warmth. Are you saying a Espar unit can do both?

Finally stop anyone with experience what size or model Webasto or Espar would you recommend for a 1HZ Troopy? As said earlier happy warm engine starts in -40f (this is the extreme) are my first priority and a warm interior overnight or when I get in her are a second priority or down the road if it requires two separate units.
Thanks again as always everyone!

Both offer both kinds, a coolant heater and a air heater but you can't get both in one unless you modify your coolant setup. Theoretically you can set up the coolant heater so that the interior fan will come on when the heater comes on thus if you turn the fan on it will blow warm air in the cabin, you are doubling battery usage though. For some reason I couldn't figure out how to wire mine to have the interior fan come on when the heater is on, oh well, maybe when I run out of things to do i will look into this again. I had the cabin heater fan come on on the three Dodge 2500 I have had in the past. The air heater will have ducting that you can put where you want so as to have heat where you want instead of just in the front. The air heater might use less battery than running the trucks interior fan, but I don't know. If you want heat for sleeping then you probably will want to add more batteries.

Both offer both kinds, a coolant heater and a air heater but you can't get both in one unless you modify your coolant setup. Theoretically you can set up the coolant heater so that the interior fan will come on when the heater comes on thus if you turn the fan on it will blow warm air in the cabin, you are doubling battery usage though. For some reason I couldn't figure out how to wire mine to have the interior fan come on when the heater is on, oh well, maybe when I run out of things to do i will look into this again. I had the cabin heater fan come on on the three Dodge 2500 I have had in the past. The air heater will have ducting that you can put where you want so as to have heat where you want instead of just in the front. The air heater might use less battery than running the trucks interior fan, but I don't know. If you want heat for sleeping then you probably will want to add more batteries.
One of the reasons I went for the espar coolant heater is they also have a dedicated kit that automatically toggles the factory cabin heater fan 12v source between crank battery and auxiliary battery. You can wire it manually but I couldn't be bothered. Webasto may offer the same kit, but I found it all first with espar and didn't want to waste time researching more, I have no brand preference whatsoever.

Still trying to figure out a coolant heater option as I plan on installing one at the time of purchase. I believe I have narrowed it down to two options, either a Webasto thermo top C or an Espar S3. Or if you would recommend something else what and why? I definitely plan on getting a "fancy" timer or controller and would like to be able to activate it remotely eventually. I like the idea of adding a air heater eventually as well, so a controller that can handle two units is what I would like.

I have searched and only came up with one short thread on the matter that was last posted in three years ago. If I'm missing one please point me that way or if you know of someone specific that has experience with this.

I can't speak to your specific question but you might want to search around here if you haven't already.

Expedition Portal Forum

Even if you found a troopy in Australia today, it would be a much warmer time of year by the time you have it. Just something to keep in mind. Keep your focus on the vehicle search is my only advice. The good ones sell the same day they are listed usually so keep your eyes peeled.
You will have a few months to acquire the upgrades while its on it way! ;)
Good luck

webasto has a timer kit. as I mentioned before, I use a gps locator with a gsm sim. that way I start the webasto by text message.
not the same with timer, but works. backup for no gsm areas is just a simple switch on the dash.

@PNWScooby I have thought of this and agree, just want to be prepared in case I find one sooner. This is one of if not the only upgrade I plan on doing in the first year and its one I plan on doing at time of purchase. Thanks for the well wishes, I know I will find one eventually.

@ALEXY do you have a build thread on your setup? Are you saying that you can send a text to start the unit using either the cellular or gps network? Do you have to pay for this service on top of your regular cell phone bill? If so may I ask how much if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks everyone

Last edited:
hello, if you search on the forum "1986 lj 73" will bring up my truck and you see pics of the webasto.I don't know how to copy the link, sorry.
Im not saying I have the best location in the engine compartment, but was easiest and required only one drilled hole in the inner wing.
ideally you should install the water pump lower. however, in my case, if you have an air bubble, the webasto enters protection shut down cycle and warns you something is wrong.

Most work was to design the bracket to hold the webasto , then rigging the wires took some time since my experience is limited.

If you commit on having one I happily send you more pics.

As for the gps locator, it does use a phone sim, enabled for text messages. the gps locator must be the variant that has option for text message for "oil" or "elec". depends what type of sim you have, u must match the type of the locator. 3g only sims require more expensive locators. basically you can command a relay placed on the car by text message to the gps locator, provided you are in gsm area.

the unit will normally reply back to you saying the command was taken.

I pay 4 euro/month for my sim.

Ha ha, not that cool....
Gps locator will have an admin password, so only given phone numbers can send the command.

You can also request vehicle gps location by text message and other functions, but these are gos locator functions, not webasto.

Webasto just starts by getting an earthing signal, then stops when reaching 70deg coolant by itself and relay surely must be closed by text message command at some point.

@PNWScooby I have thought of this and agree, just want to be prepared in case I find one sooner. This is one of if not the only upgrade I plan on doing in the first year and its one I plan on doing at time of purchase. Thanks for the well wishes, I know I will find one eventually.

@ALEXY do you have a build thread on your setup? Are you saying that you can send a text to start the unit using either the cellular or gps network? Do you have to pay for this service on top of your regular cell phone bill? If so may I ask how much if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks everyone

Read through this entire thread. Looking for the same thing. There was just a really nice rust free (more rust free than I've ever seen from AUS) troopy for sale in the classifieds. It even had a low psi turbo and 1hz. It was pretty pricey, but I'd bet it wasn't far off what one would be after import.
I am having the same trouble as you, finding one that was well maintained and no rust! There are some really nice ones for sale with all of the toys (ARB Air lockers, drawers etc) , but the AUS version of "no rust" is like someone from the rust belt of the US.

Back to searching. Good luck with your search as well.

Read through this entire thread. Looking for the same thing. There was just a really nice rust free (more rust free than I've ever seen from AUS) troopy for sale in the classifieds. It even had a low psi turbo and 1hz. It was pretty pricey, but I'd bet it wasn't far off what one would be after import.
I am having the same trouble as you, finding one that was well maintained and no rust! There are some really nice ones for sale with all of the toys (ARB Air lockers, drawers etc) , but the AUS version of "no rust" is like someone from the rust belt of the US.

Back to searching. Good luck with your search as well.
As you have already figured out, nice troopys are hard to find which is why they demand such a high price when they come around. Just like their 75 series ute counterparts, they have almost always been used very hard their whole life. Most people looking for a clean troopy wait for over a year to find one it seems. That being said, rumor has it that the OP found a good one :D

Have you checked out the one listed on Atlanta craigslist?

I heard he found a nice and rust free example with a turbo here on Mud. In fact, the most rust free one I've seen from that era. Worth the premium I'm sure. Back to the searches....
I did see that one. Oddly, I almost prefer to find one in AUS so I can have a Mulgo Poptop thrown on it. I keep getting pics from my buddies who are enjoying there's and it's driving me insane.

As you have already figured out, nice troopys are hard to find which is why they demand such a high price when they come around. Just like their 75 series ute counterparts, they have almost always been used very hard their whole life. Most people looking for a clean troopy wait for over a year to find one it seems. That being said, rumor has it that the OP found a good one :D

Have you checked out the one listed on Atlanta craigslist?

DJI_0019.jpeg

Last edited:
@SOAZtim I wish you all the best with your search. I see the rumor mill is alive and well. The ball is rolling but not finalized yet, I don't foresee any issues just don't want to count my chickens before they hatch. Also that is one sweet Troopy in one beautiful spot, pretty much what I want to build in time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom