would you turbo this 3B? dyno run and comp test done (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1985 BJ73 with 400,000km on the clock.

Recently had a compression test, injector rebuild and dyno run done.

compression test results

1 - 390PSI
2 - 400PSI
3 - 400PSI
4 - 410 PSI

Dyno sheet attached

Is this 3B healthy enough for a turbo with this many km????

Attachments

• 0598_001.pdf
    146.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 0598_001.pdf
    146.5 KB · Views: 150
According to my FSM specs, normal is above 427 and rebuild is 284 psi, acceptable difference 28 psi, so in the light of that, Yep, I'd turbo it, but then again I try and turbo most things so...

I've known of quite a few 3B's around that age and condition that have been turboed successfully. I'd go for it. With a smart tune of course.

It's cool to see your dyno sheet. Seems to be around the same as a lot of stock 3Bs. I've always wondered about drivetrain losses in a cruiser. If the 3B is a 90hp engine new, say 85hp with age, that would put the drivetrain loss around 40-45%. Seems on the high side, but maybe the transfer case eats quite a bit of power? I've looked at a number of dyno plots of stock Toyota diesels, and a 45% loss seems pretty typical.

I remember dyno days at BD and a stock non turbo bj60 was tested and posted up 37hp to the wheels. There was some serious debate as to whether that was enough power to drive on the freeway. Amazing really, but explains that wow this is a slow truck feeling.

With 400k on the clock, it may not last long with a turbo if you start using it. Most 3Bs start dying around that mark. All depends how long you want it to last.

3Bs die from dropped precups and broken cranks. Redo your head gasket with an MLS one and replace your cups at the same time. Intercool it and retard your timing to help with the crank life.

thanks for the replies, I am reasonably set on doing the conversion but i at least wanted opinions and experiences before i bite the bullet, if i get another 100,000k's out of it i would call that a success and worth the money.

the power figure is always interesting 51hp at the wheels sounds like i should not be on a highway at all but it will pull to 110km/h and stay there with 35's no problems as long as it is flat, hence the want of a turbo.

gerg, precups... that is a new term. this is the first diesel i have owned but i will do a search now. and what benefit is retarding the timing? i assume you are talking about injector timing. is this to reduce egt's??

Does anyone have issues with lag after intercooling?

Ok so after reading about precups it seems that replacing the precups is a bit of insurance (as one could fail on my engine seeing its relatively unknown to me what its life has been) so i could consider pulling the head and having those done at a shop before turbo.

So i am thinking

Replace precups
turbo install + intercooled
Dyno tune for fuelling adjustment
Monitor EGT,boost, and inlet temps? and stay within reasonable parameters when driving

Does this sound like a good approach to the turbo install? I am an engineer by trade so i probably would like to take a measured and calculated approach with something like this. I am mostly sold on the TurboGlide kit at the moment.

You don't by any chance drive the white middy that I keep seeing in bunbury?

I'm honestly pretty impressed it made 51hp! The few dynos of stock 3Bs on this forum have been high 30s and I think one did 42 hp? I don't think mine would make 51hp, maybe with new injectors.

If you don't mind, how much did the dyno cost? Might head up to bunno and get mine done, I didn't even know there was a diesel place with a dyno there.

I'd turbo that, no stress. I'd certainly do the precups. MLS headgasket if you're planning to run higher boost but they are expensive/hard to get in Australia, heaps of people are running composite gaskets on lower boost setups (and they're what the 13B-T had anyway).

15.5afr is almost stoich!

I wouldn't dyno for the fueling adjustment, you can do that easily yourself. They're just turning the screw out until it hits whatever EGTs they're aiming for. However it would be worth getting a diesel shop to set the timing properly, if you're aiming for megaboost then retarding the timing is a good idea as it keeps the peak cylinder pressure down. I think 3 people on here have broken 3b cranks but that's with crap tons of boost and advanced timing.

Basically, the advantages of changing timing.

adv timing
potentially better fuel consumption
lower egts (they're only lower because more heat is going into the engine itself though)

Retarded
lower peak pressure
smoother idle

There's lots of alternatives to the conventional turbo kits. Assuming they haven't changed it, the Turboglide turbo is a T25 which was obsolete almost 20 years ago. Many people are running the GT2052 52 trim (the diesel42 kit uses this) which is the modern equivalent and maps remarkably well to a 3B. It will bolt onto the turboglide manifold. If you're planning higher boost+intercooler then you might want to look at a the GT2x56 or TD04-13t family of turbos, gerg is getting remarkable results from his dual scroll TD04HL-13t at the moment but that does require a custom manifold.

Also when you do turbo it it's important to put hose clamps on the lines from the throttle body to injector pump as these can blow off and leave you stuck on full throttle.

Nope, i just updated my avatar that's my rig there. I do see that white one though as well with the big chrome PTO winch bumper on the front?

Dyno was $120 comp test was $110

Well i think we will need to catch up for a chat sometime mate next time you are in town or if i am down south and pick your knowledged brain because I think i would be able to manage building an alternative kit out of the correct parts. I come from a family of boilermakers so anything will be possible. I just have no experience in the landcruiser world or diesel world for that matter. all of my previous cars have been petrol fords so my mechanical knowledge lies there.

The timing thing is interesting so peak pressure i assume can help the longevity of the crank.

The worst i would do with this car is going to collie (up the hill) and back so i dont need ridiculous boost, but that would be a good tuning ground for adjusting the fueling.

Yeah, that import with the PTO and I've seen a white one with an xrox bar too. Also a bronze one. Haven't seen yours!

I end up in bunno pretty often with not a lot to do but it's always on weekdays and normally in the Getz. Would be good to catch up with a fellow middy owner! Add me on facebook if you've got it, hayden.williams.106

I'm making a turbo manifold because a RHD BJ73 LX is a tight fit with the clutch booster and mostly I'm to cheap to fork out for a cast one. If you've got boilermaker hookups then that might be the way to go. I'd ask turboglide and AXT how well their kits clear if you do run them, they were probably designed around BJ42s.

Collie hill would be a good test ground for tuning. :)

Yeah it only goes up to collie and back to work really not around town much.

No facebook sorry, will pm you or something

yeah good point... when I make turbo enquiries i will ask about the clutch booster and clearance, dont want to be boiling the fluid either i guess...

Well i had an estimate today from a head rebuild joint and $600 AUS for new precups, milled flat again and they recommended a new set of valves with the age of the engine, so i will account for this as part of the conversion.

I'm looking at turbo'ing my 73 with a clutch booster and since my booster is stuffed and irreplaceable, I'm considering deleting it and using something like a HZJ73 clutch master instead.

Or fabbing a manifold that puts the turbo forward away from the booster but then run into clearance issues with the p/steering pump maybe

Power steering pump reservoir looks easy-ish to move. hopefully i can make a custom manifold to put it in a spot that will keep everything... does putting the turbo flange closer to the front of the manifold have an effect? rather than right between cylinder 2 and 3?

With 400k on the clock, it may not last long with a turbo if you start using it. Most 3Bs start dying around that mark. All depends how long you want it to last.

you see my signature .. ?

Yes, but who does a turbo conversion to putter along at the pre turbo speed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom