roof mount antenna with roof rack...problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am thinking of doing a roof mount antenna for a 2m HAM. I have a full length Gamaviti rack. Will the rack interfere with the signal? I would do a magnet mount in the center or some type of rack clamp or fab up a mount like a fender mount that attaches to the rack some how.

is getting it placed up high worth the hassle or should i just use edge of hatch mount or front fender mount?

Will you need to worry about trees, loads of camping gear on the top or ladders/poles on the roof rack? Will you need the 2 Meter for trails , city or a mix? Smack dab in the middle of the rack is a great place for an antenna unless it has company (tools and gear).

Larry in El Paso

Either the roof rack or the roof itself will give a great ground plane for 1/4-wave and 5/8-wave antennas. On one of my trucks, I run a 1/4-wave Flexi-Whip in a gap towards the front of my full-size Gobi rack, and it works great - in fact, the range is good enough that I just leave it there all the time. On flat ground, I have hit 2m repeaters 60 miles away. The performance of that little 1/4-wave is almost indistinguishable in use from a much taller 5/8-wave I used to put up there for long trips.

I will share my experience. My 1/4 wave antenna interferes with my radio on my 80 series. The radio antenna sticks up above the ground plane of the roof. When I go to transmit with the radio on you can hear the speakers take a hit from the signal. When I eventually get around to re-doing this I will run a 1/2 wave from the rear hatch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom