Engine replaced? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, do you guys know if there is a way to tell if an engine has been replaced? Does the serial number of the engine correspond to the VIN of the truck?

Thanks in advance, Eric

The engine serial number does not have any relation to the VIN of the truck that I can see.
This number is on the LH side of the engine block, up and behind the starter.
Mine was almost certain original, and this number doesn't relate to the VIN.
DSC_5380.JPG

OK, thank you. Took the truck to the dealer today and they are fairly certain the engine has been replaced. Trying to find out if there is a way to confirm

Why does the dealer think the engine has been replaced? Is there documentation that an engine replacement was done at a Toyota dealer

@beno is this true? no tie between engine number, frame and VIN?
I thought that was a regulation item...

Time to get a list going like in the 40 section

SANY0144.JPG

If the engine was replaced with a new OEM short block there would be no serial number after the 1FZ (11400-66041).

If a junkyard engine was installed, a serial number would be present as the engine assy was one of many in sequence.

During the 1990's, correlation between engine serial number and VIN was probably still in its infancy.

Today, all assys (blocks, engine, transmissions, transfer cases, differential assys), have RFID and bar codes that have both manufacturing information (plant, line, date and time of build, etc) as well as correlating assembly information per the build sheet that hangs in front of every Land Cruiser from the core support.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom