Underhood Detail - Scrubbing Bubbles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

PabloCruise

SILVER Star
Threads
I was thinking about how nice the engine bay looks after a professional detail and figured I could do it myself, but not sure about products to use.

I checked the Chemical Guys website, but it did not seem like they had much for under the hood?

Then I saw references to using Scrubbing Bubbles shower and tile cleaner to clean under the hood - has anyone used this?

What about after things are clean? What product to use then to put a little shine on things? I had a car detailed years ago and they cleaned up the wheel wells with some product and the shine looked great. Hoping to recreate that on a project...

I wouldn't recommend bathroom cleaners due to many of them being corrosive and will cause some issues with raw aluminum/steel or any unpainted surfaces. Even on painted surfaces it could leave streaks since it can't be clayed and polished.

I normally use Simple Green under the bay to keep it clean and powerwash very carefully. In order to maintain, you will want to use some rubber dressing for the hoses and for metals, it depends on the material. Since these motors don't have plastic covering, you will have to use some elbow grease to really maintain. I've been contemplating steam cleaning the bay as well, but haven't attempted myself yet.

I actually acquired a new fj60 that needs heavy cleaning all around and might attempt steam, if I do I will pop back in with results.

If you think about it, a tub and tile cleaner really doesn’t have any of the attributes you’re looking for - they’re designed for soap scum and water deposits, not grease, oil, and road grime baked on by heat. I second the Simple Green. Spray it on and keep it damp for awhile - mist more on every now and then. Then hose it down to see where you’re at and work from there.

I have use "bars keepers friend" a few times with very good result..( any super market, golden color cardboard jar)

You moist the surface, apply the poulder let it seat for about half a hour, not much more on aluminum and then brush and rince.

Inside a engine will be a total pain and a waste because the walls are vertical and the substance will roll, plus will be very difficult to apply but for things like bash plates will work great..

Also experiment with pine Sol, specially what you can soak the parts like carb and brake calipers

Sorry I.m not to much of a help but at least they work on some stuff.

Purple Power and 3M citrus spray.

J

Before

P1030655.JPG

After

SAM_2269.JPG

Now hold on one dag gum minute, that must be some miracle cleaner! Turned all your vac lines, valve cover and body orange and took the wrinkles out of your air cleaner hose.

Now hold on one dag gum minute, that must be some miracle cleaner! Turned all your vac lines, valve cover and body orange and took the wrinkles out of your air cleaner hose.

That weekend I ran the valves, painted the valve cover, replaced all the vac lines, plugs, wires and the intake hose is the same one, just a close in shot.

BTW, that's 309 freeborn red, not orange. Same rig, same motor... lighting I suppose.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom