15b-ft or not to be? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

go for the 15b ft! are they not mechanical and then if you add the e they are elecronic??
i like the four valves per cylinder and the direct injection idea
i know as soon as i get my hands on one ill have one in my 45
definitly wouldnt do the V8 gas Diesel is the way to go
mmmmmmmmmm a souped up 15b i can hear is now mmmmmmmmm

15B and 15B-ft interchangable???

He dudes,

Since we're talking about 15B's,

I've got this Toyota Coaster 4x4, it's a BB58, and it's got the 15B in it. Totally gutless in a bus this size. I know a bloke who got a later model BB58 with a 15B-FTE in it. Now that goes!!!!

But, since it's eletronic, I better not put one of them 15B-FTE's into my old bus without electronics.

What I would like to do however is either turbo charge the existing 15B or find a 15B-FT for it and drop that in.

NOW, does anybody know if these engines are interchangeble in engine mounts, exhaust, intake etc etc. obviously we'd need to have space for the turbo (maybe intercooler too?) I guess.

Anybody know where I can find a BB55 Coaster in Japan? or a BU-297 Dyna truck?

Have fun.
HUGO:popcorn:
Coaster-4wd_BB55_Portal-hub_front&rear_2004-02-20@Fujibus-sales-co-jp_2.jpg

hace the impresion that the 15B-FTE runs a variable vane turbo . ?

I would run a CT26 out from a 1HD-T engine .. just one option of many others ..

hace the impresion that the 15B-FTE runs a variable vane turbo . ?

I would run a CT26 out from a 1HD-T engine .. just one option of many others ..

One of the 15BFT engines ran the CT12B, similar to the 1KZ-TE. Later models may have changed to variable vane but there isn't much available in variable vane turbos that size. If there was I'd have one for my Isuzu.

Since the original clutch disk haves 14 splines with 300mm diameter, and i will use the h55 (21 plines), i have found an ISUZU clutch disk with 300mm and 21 splines:

NW-2262 IZUZU
8-94462-789-2
8-94462-789-3
NIPPON CLUTCH CO LTD

Mate .. where do you source tha disc .. ?

my local Izusu dealer it's useless as usual ..

I went to a local OPEL dealler in my country and they have it. Its about 270 euros (only the clutch disk).

But i am searching it online at europe trying to find it at a low cost.

Same one in Portugal told me that thar clutch disk from Isuzu, inserts perfecly at the 15B-FT Flyweel and also at the input shaft of the H42 (4speed) T-CASE (21 spline input shaft) and also in the H55F (5speed) T-CASE (21 spline intup shaft).

Hi guys, I recently bought an FJ60, original 2f has been swap out for a 15bf-t. It is mated to a 5 speed manual tranny. I believe this is the only 60 in my country with this setup as most of 60 owners here i have met have 1hd-t/fte in theirs.
Performance wise i can only relay through on the road seat of the pants experience. Acceleration is good for the 60 but wont catch another 60 with the 1hd-t/fte in them. Handling is great as the engine is smaller, weighs less and sits further back to the firewall that weight distribution contributes to the almost sports car handling when going on the blacktop. I will post up some pics of my 60 soon.

Hi Tapage, i am big fan of Tencha and Marilu. I also have an 80 with 1hd-t/A442F. I will take some pics of my 60 and 80 tomorrow to post up. Both are in pretty rough shape at the moment but hope to get them the way i want bit by bit as soon as funds permit.

Hi Tapage, i am big fan of Tencha and Marilu. I also have an 80 with 1hd-t/A442F. I will take some pics of my 60 and 80 tomorrow to post up. Both are in pretty rough shape at the moment but hope to get them the way i want bit by bit as soon as funds permit.

thanks .. time are on our side .. come with those pics .. !

hey everybody. i am doing a conversion from my 13bt to a 14bt in my 40series cruiser. just wondering since i am going from a in-line pump to a rotary pump, will i have a mechanical fuel feed or will i have to make an electric feed back down at the tank? it may be hidden there somewhere but i cant seem to find anything about 14bt feed pumps.

also, im using the old style 3b h55f gearbox that came out in the bj42 lx, the 13bt bolted right up since it could share the old 3b clutch. i cant use the 13bt flywheel as it was 6 bolt i think and the 14bt is 8 bolt. so i am using the 14bt flywheel but which clutch would be the best for the job. all i can think of is getting a 14bt clutch and converting the spline? if anyone could help that would be fantastic. i hear that the later 13bt's and 3bII's came out with 8 bolt flywheels. if so could i use one of them and a 3b clutch but will the clutch slip with extra torq. my car is practly a 40 wiht a 45 ute cab bolted right on so its much lighter than a standard 40 cheers

Hi Guys, Here are the pictures of my babies and the 15bft shoehorned in to my 60. Apologies for the lengthy delay as i was caught up with work issues.

This is the direct link to the picture gallery ImageShack® - Gallery
DSC00475.jpg
DSC00467.jpg
DSC00468.jpg

Finally, i am doing the starting tests on the 15B-FT.

The starting engine is runing good and the flywheel is spining well.

The Vacuum system is runing good, and also the intake air warmer

But i am runing problems with the diesel injection bomb!

I Can not see diesel in the diesel injection pipes, althougt it was bleeded on the fuel filter.

Another thing is that diesel is runing on the diesel injection return pipe.

Can anyone help me finding the problem?

YouTube - 15B-FT Starting Test 1

YouTube - 15B-FT Starting Test 2

YouTube - 15B-FT Starting Test 3

Last edited:
OK, this if far too interesting a thread to die like this. After years of watching these forums, I have signed up mainly to bump this thread back to life.

Next year I will be moving to Australia and have wife approval to build another J40. Our last one was a 1983 FJ40 in Kenya that had been 'africanised' by twenty years of local mechanics and drivers.

I am thinking about a late model BJ42 with the H55 gearbox and installing a 15B-FTE from a coaster bus, but with whatever the last inline mechanical injector pump denso made was.

I have a few questions;

1) Does anyone have an electronic copy of the factory service manual? I have looked on Downloads Index - Page: 1 but there is only the 3B/13B-T manual.

2) What is peoples best 'guestimate' at how much heavier (installed weight) the 15B-FTE would be compared to the factory 3B?

3) Which pumps are 'built in', it looks like the power steering pump is gear driven and the alternator and water pump are twin belt driven. Is anything else gear driven? I'm trying to visualise how much room I'd have for a belt driven compressor.

4) What is the 'gizmo' in the inlet manifold? It looks like some type of heat exchanger but for what, and some photos show what looks like a butterfly valve in there, is this an engine brake?

Thanks

Dan

4) What is the 'gizmo' in the inlet manifold? It looks like some type of heat exchanger but for what, and some photos show what looks like a butterfly valve in there, is this an engine brake?

Thanks

Dan

Possibly a grid heater. Used on engines that don't have glow-plugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom