91 factory lockers (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This guy on craigslist claims factory locking diffs on a 1991 fj80

i thought these were only offered 1993-1997 .....anyone?

Lots of uninformed people think that the center diff lock switch means that they have "lockers".

No factory diff locks in '91.

Mark...

You see that a lot on ebay and craigslist. All 91-92 trucks have a center diff button because they do not have a viscous coupler in the TC. People confuse the center diff button with locking diffs. 91-92 did not have factory lockers as an option.

so basicly the diff lock he is pertaining too is disengaging from 4wd -2wd ......not a locked FR-RR

No

FJ80s are full time 4wd.

The center diff lock... locks the center diff.

Mark...

so basicly the diff lock he is pertaining too is disengaging from 4wd -2wd ......not a locked FR-RR

No, the truck is full-time 4wd. The switch activates the center differential lock. Many people equate this to awd/4wd.

sooo correct me if im wrong 93-97 had the VC TC with optional locking FR and RR diffs (all 4 wheels locked)

Yep. 6% of the 93-97 Cruisers int he US were sold with the optional locking front and rear diff locks. This varies regionally. A much larger number of them up here have the lockers.

Mark...

Thanks for the knowledge folks,,,,,thinking about getting into an 80 series ;)

6% wow that's really low. I feel like I found a diamond in the rough with mine!

It's actually closer to 12-13% based on Toyota sales figures from the early 2000's according to CDan.

Regardless, still a small number.

May be closer to 6% now with all of the parted vehicles and trashed cruisers. :doh:

Just to clarify:

People find it very hard to comprehend the fact that a car can be called 'full time 4WD' and yet this is only when all 4 wheels are on the tarmac or a surface that offers traction. Lift any one wheel and the car comes to a stop due to the action of the three differentials, add a centre diff lock and you have 2WD one at the front and one at the rear, the centre diff lock is now forcing driving to each axle but if one of the front and one of the rear wheels is on a no traction surface then again the car will not move, this is now due to the differentials in the axles however, if you have the extra diff locks as fitted to the axle then you can engage true 4WD, only one wheel needs to be in contact with a surface that has traction to move the vehicle and all wheels will rotate at the same speed.

I hope that helps?

Regards

Dave

Mine is a 1991 (HDJ80) and has difflockers, so it is possible the seller is right.

Mine is a 1991 (HDJ80) and has difflockers, so it is possible the seller is right.

Yes, diff locks were available from the start of the 80 series production run in 1990-1991. We in the USA didn't see them as an option until 1993.

We're lucky Toyota even made the diff locks an option. Lots of other great 80 series factory options that were NEVER offered in the USA.

Not a lot of HDJ80s for sale in the States. ;) Especially by anyone who is not very aware of what they have and selling it accordingly. Doubtful that anyone selling an HDJ80 with lockers would be calling it an FJ80. :)

Mark...

This is a little strange, I have never seen a pre mid 92 with lockers. The locker option was (AFAIK) only with vehicles that had full floater axles and 16" wheels and these were not available untill mid to late 92?

I have also looked on my Toyota parts discs and they do not show lockers pre 92 so again a little odd? Just to throw in a little more confusion I know of a 1990 HDJ80 with A/C and leather electric seats which also were not supposed to be available untill late 91, Mr T must have had all sorts going on!

regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom