91 factory lockers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is a little strange, I have never seen a pre mid 92 with lockers. The locker option was (AFAIK) only with vehicles that had full floater axles and 16" wheels and these were not available untill mid to late 92?

I have also looked on my Toyota parts discs and they do not show lockers pre 92 so again a little odd? Just to throw in a little more confusion I know of a 1990 HDJ80 with A/C and leather electric seats which also were not supposed to be available untill late 91, Mr T must have had all sorts going on!

regards

Dave

lockers were available from the go (1990) in the uk/euro market. we never got semi float axles. Lockers were available with the 15" wheels also.

i think the above goes for hdj81's, but the lockers were an option rather than standard equipment. I've never seen factory leather that early, only the stripe velour or the japanese market alcantara-like stuff.

Hence the small differentiating factor in the name: HF2A vs. HF2AV

:)
I have a 91 LC. I have not tried to push the diff button and don’t know if works (a little hesitant). Am I correct that it might have button but doesn’t do anything. How can I check and anyway to know? What’s worst case scenario? Sorry newby with learning and lots of questions.

I have a 91 LC. I have not tried to push the diff button and don’t know if works (a little hesitant). Am I correct that it might have button but doesn’t do anything. How can I check and anyway to know? What’s worst case scenario? Sorry newby with learning and lots of questions.
The CENTER DIFF LOCK button (CDL) on the dash of the 91/92 FJ80 was standard. It allows you to lock the center differential in high range, and it automatically locks the center in low range.
It is NOT front and rear axle lockers, as these were not available on the FJ80.
Here is a great tutorial regarding lockers:

The CENTER DIFF LOCK button (CDL) on the dash of the 91/92 FJ80 was standard. It allows you to lock the center differential in high range, and it automatically locks the center in low range.
It is NOT front and rear axle lockers, as these were not available on the FJ80.
Here is a great tutorial regarding lockers:
Thank you. Great explanation an article. If I read the article and understood correct does it does say that some had lockers? Not sure if correct but if so is there a visual way to know or do you have to test it?

E910A110-3836-4AC1-AC2F-365793FFCD7E.jpeg

Thank you. Great explanation an article. If I read the article and understood correct does it does say that some had lockers? Not sure if correct but if so is there a visual way to know or do you have to test it?
As previously stated, the 91/92 FJ80 did not come with factory front and rear lockers. Factory lockers were available from 93 on.
All US spec 80 Series from 91-97 had a locking center diff.

Thank you
Keep in mind that there are aftermarket lockers available for your truck.
Some folks have done complete axle swaps from later model FZJ80s to get factory lockers. However I think that is a waste of time and money.

I have a 91 LC. I have not tried to push the diff button and don’t know if works (a little hesitant).
No way you could hurt anything. Just drive easy in front of your house and push it.

If it's in good order it will almost immediately lock, dash indicator will illuminate, and you'll feel the steering handling tighten. (Avoid too may turns an dry pavement till you unlock it.)

If it *doesn't* quickly lock, go ahead and drive around the neighborhood making plenty of turns, speeding up slowing down, etc. That often revives a lock that hasn't been used much.

91 JDM triple locked VX Wagon. Four wheel disc brakes with rear rotors smaller than anything ever sold by Toyota in NA. I had to order Toyota replacements from Japan $$

IMG_20220717_152646.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom