Stupid Dash Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Im taking out my dash to work on my stereo. I have all the screws out, but Im having a heck of a time unplugging all the buttons and switches. I must be doing something wrong. Is there a trick to unplugging those?

I usually break first and ask questions later, but this time Im going to ask.

Thanks

Are you able to remove the faceplate that goes around the radio and switches and heater controls?

2 screws in ash tray and two screws in cupholder slot above radio and the hole thing pops right out with switches still installed.

Does it not give you enough access?

He's in a '91, so dash is different.

It may, but I was hoping to pull the whole thing off. Im going to install a switch as well as remove the head unit to tap into some wires. If those plugs come off easy (somehow), Ide prefer to take them off.

Ive got the whole thing pulled and loose, just hanging on by the switches

You need a apolstry right angle hook. I bought one at the auto store. Its basically a screw driver handle with a right angle at the tip, that narrows to a dull point.

The switches, like the CDL, defrost etc, have a push button on the bottom of the switches. If you can get your fingers on it, you may be able to get them loose. I had to use the hook to push in on the button.

The heater switch is easier to remove if you push it through the dash plate, then take the hook and pry the button over.

The light for the cig lighter twists out clockwise I think. the cig plug just pulls off.

On the other side of the steering wheel, just pop off the mirror switch as you did the CDL. I left the next inward plug on. I tilted the dash plate up from the stereo side, and hooked it on the dash without completely removing it.

Don't forget the screw to the right of the ashtray, and the three that include the ashtray plate.

I just did this a couple of nights ago.

If you really want to make it easy, get the stereo harness plug from auto store.

Make sure you unplug the amp behind the glove box (remove wto bottom bolts and slide the box out). It's a black box with another push button plug.

Don't hook up the blue power antenna wire at all.

PM me if I can help with anything else.

Great instructions! Thanks.... the stupid heater switch killed me! It took an hour to get that one loose.

Mark

The easy way to do it is to remove all screws, then pop all the clips loose so the panel is only held in by the switches, etc. Each switch (except for the climate controls) can be pushed out of the dash panel from the rear. Then, you can flip them upside-down while on the front side of the dash panel and easily press the little release buttons. The climate controls can be unplugged by using a long slotted screwdriver to press the release buttons on the 2 electrical connectors. With the steering wheel as low as it goes you can bend the dash panel out at each end and it will lift straight up and out with the climate control panel still installed. Now lay it in the back seat - it's much easier to work on things without that whole mess still hanging there.

Toyota did a nice job of making it dummy-proof when you go to reinstall, as none of them can be plugged in wrong and the wiring harness is shaped well enough to keep the plugs where they should be. This is a big help when you leave things hanging for a few days and then come back and try to remember where the hell it's all supposed to go......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom