Baja Claw or Baja MTZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm debating on putting Baja Claws or Baja MTZs on my 80 series. Any input from owners of these tires would be appreciated.
Thanks

i love my MTZs. Great in snow and rain if your going to DD. good off road as well. Very sticky.
As for the Baja Claws. My friend had them on his Scout. He is getting rid of them. Doesn' t like the noise and how quickly they are wearing down.
my .02

might as well get some fake beadlocks and some mud graphics too. ih8claws.

So I'll go against the grain here and cast a minority vote. I like the Baja Claws on my 80.

That being said, they wouldn't be my first choice on an 80 that was going to be driven around town a fair amount like you mentioned.

claws SUCK!! I used to have some on my 4runner. Hated them. I know someone that has a heep w/ 46s (claws) and he hates them, too. You know, just to muddy the water a little, I really like my SSRS so far.

:cheers:

I just got some 295x75x16 radial claws. They work well in the sand and are not that lound on the road. Not like mud tires. They are not AT's like I had and I didn't expect them to be. They will wear faster and make a little more noise. They do however look good and keep me floating on the sandy beaches I run on.

Kevin

93 w/130K, ome50mm, 33" baja claws, ramsy winch, air comp. and holding tank, locked, garvin roof rack...

But, the design of the tread gives it less "side traction" in off camber situations.

But, the design of the tread gives it less "side traction" in off camber situations.

Less "side traction" than what? My personal experience with the Baja Claws seems to be different from yours. If they are going to be mainly trail tires, I've been happy with their performance. As I said earlier, they are not an ideal street tire. Rapid wear and noisy...

To each his own. :cheers:

That is lateral traction you're talking about. It is inherent that a directional tire is somewhat lacking in this department. I think you'd need somthing really slick to notice it, such as wet slick rock or snow. My xterrains worked great in the snow, they just had to go way way down on psi.

I just ordered a set of MTZ's for my pickup over another set of directional's like the xterrains that are comming off. Also when my xterrains are done on my 'cruiser either SSR's radials are going on or MUCH larger iroks.

Less "side traction" than what? My personal experience with the Baja Claws seems to be different from yours. If they are going to be mainly trail tires, I've been happy with their performance. As I said earlier, they are not an ideal street tire. Rapid wear and noisy...

To each his own. :cheers:

Mine were strictly trail tires. They had considerably less lateral traction (thanks, Bear80) than my IROKs or SSRs or TSLs or BFG M/Ts or Goodyear MT/Rs.

That is lateral traction you're talking about. It is inherent that a directional tire is somewhat lacking in this department. I think you'd need somthing really slick to notice it, such as wet slick rock or snow. My xterrains worked great in the snow, they just had to go way way down on psi.

I just ordered a set of MTZ's for my pickup over another set of directional's like the xterrains that are comming off. Also when my xterrains are done on my 'cruiser either SSR's radials are going on or MUCH larger iroks.

I know I couldn't hang on to the side of some rocks on Carnage Canyon or Mt Blanca. You start sliding sideways on Jaws 2 and you'll be really concerned about lateral traction. That being said, IROKs are directional tires as well, it's just the big, straight lugs on the Claws, Xterrains, Bogger, or the like that i don't like for off camber situations.

Sorry if you guys don't agree, I just want to voice my opinion, having owned several sets of aggressive off road tires through the years.

Understood. FWIW, I have a set of Goodyear MTR's on my 40 and I wouldn't buy them again for strictly trail duty. To me, my Baja Claws (bias ply, not radial) are superior to my MTR's in every category except for wear and road manners and in the case of a trail truck, I didn't care about either one of those.

JMHO opinion as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom