84 FJ 60 2F Engine Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

D'Animal

Rescuer of Beagles & Landcruisers
Threads
I pulled the engine out of my 1984 FJ60 last weekend. It has 264K on the Odometer. The PO said he replaced the head gasket and had head work done since it was overheating. It ran great before I took it out. It is going into my 86 FJ60.

Now that I have it out, what should I replace? The power steering pump leaked and there is oil all down the drivers side of the engine. When it was running I could not find any leaks anywere. The gasket to the heat exchanger is blown. The rear main seal weeps and there is a washer glued to the back of the head on top of the frost plug. The compression is good but should I do a set of rings? I cannot believe that this is the original engine or that it has not at least been rebuild already with 264K mile on it. The oil pan gasket has black looking RTV silicone sealant. is that stock Toyota stuff?

I do not want to have to pull this thing again in 6 months.

Just adding my .02 but I would rebuild the bottom end completely just because then you would pretty much have a brand new engine ready to go for another 300K. Its a lot of work and some $$ but I think it would be worth it. I'm actually thinking of a rebuild for my 2F but thats not for while down the road right now.

-Brian

I would change the rod bearings and main bearings as well as the piston rings. Check the cylinder walls for wear.

I'm thinking that I should get a FSM before I do anything. Is the Haynes just as good? I will want to mic the lower end components before ordering new bearings. The pistons should be stamped if they are oversized.

I will also need the torque specs for reassembly etc. What else and I missing. Should I replace the oil pump?

Personally I'd get the 2F engine manual Publication Number: 36104E - that is what I used to rebuild mine and it wasn't that difficult. It had all the torque specs and step-by-step instructions.

I'm thinking that I should get a FSM before I do anything. Is the Haynes just as good?

Hey Dan,

I've found the 1980-96 Haynes is actually a pretty good manual, even when it comes to the engine stuff. It even has some of the same pics and drawings as the FSM. Sometimes they're written a little easier for someone like me to understand. Although I would definitely get the FSM as well.

Hope your rebuild goes well, keep us updated.

if you have the time, money, and resources?? I would go through the whole thing.......

I pulled the engine out of my 1984 FJ60 last weekend. It has 264K on the Odometer. The PO said he replaced the head gasket and had head work done since it was overheating. It ran great before I took it out. It is going into my 86 FJ60.

Now that I have it out, what should I replace? The power steering pump leaked and there is oil all down the drivers side of the engine. When it was running I could not find any leaks anywere. The gasket to the heat exchanger is blown. The rear main seal weeps and there is a washer glued to the back of the head on top of the frost plug. The compression is good but should I do a set of rings? I cannot believe that this is the original engine or that it has not at least been rebuild already with 264K mile on it. The oil pan gasket has black looking RTV silicone sealant. is that stock Toyota stuff?

I do not want to have to pull this thing again in 6 months.

the washer glued to the freeze plug is not a washer but a an overheat sensor that was applied buy some one who sold or rebuilt the head . these indicators have a material in the center of the "washer " that melts at a perscribed temp. I used to put them on all of my customers engines to see if when the next time they came in complaining of head gasket leaks or over heating problems if this indicator showed that the engine had overheated. wrecking yards and engine rebuilders use them to discount warranty claims due to overheating .

Oil leaks

I have been told that oil leaks around gaskets can be a symptom of excessive blowby into the crankcase from worn piston rings. It probably is time with that many miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom