Early / Late 85 FJ 60 How to Know (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can any one clarify the differences in the Early vs Late 85 Fj 60 and how you can tell the one you have ? Is there a reference on the changes?

Thx Dan

Here's how you can tell. Open the drivers side door and take a look. Not sure what the difference is, sorry.
Vehicle Info.jpg

Thanks Can any one tell me the Differences

I know the made som significant changes in the early Vs late but not when and not what changes

Thanks

One of the for sure things is to check to see if you have a double cardon driveshaft up front or if it is a traditional style driveshaft and also check to see if there is a ~3" spacer behind the transmission and the t-case. There has never been any definitive answer (to my knowledge) on the official date change over from early to late model.

I know my 60 was made in June 1985, so I think it is an early model. Is there some where that has a complete list of changes?

Thanks Dan

I know my 60 was made in June 1985, so I think it is an early model. Is there some where that has a complete list of changes?

Thanks Dan

June would make it a late 1985... Early would be in the fall/winter of 1984...

I have an April '85 and it has the "late" trans and drive shafts.

Dynosoar :zilla:

my build date is OCT/1985 but was sold as a 85. It too has
the spacers

my build date is OCT/1985 but was sold as a 85. It too has
the spacers

Yours must have been right at the cutoff. October is usually the changeover date for Toyota.

10/84 is the usual date given for Late 60s

thats what i thought too with toyota until
i bought this truck, and have seen quite a
few 60's with a build date of October.

The only significant change was for the 1985 model year. The beginning of that production run marked the start of the "late" 60s. There continued to be evolutionary changes, for instance the mid 86 switch to the 38mm idler in the transfer case. There are also minor differences in the 2F-I think the later ones use a different bearing to control crank thrust fore and aft.

The same carb, distributor, smog gear etc, was used from start to finish. JimC has a really good handle on the production differences-talk to him if important.

The only thing that is important now, is how much rust is in the body. No rust = good FJ60. JMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom