4wd help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I put my 60 in 4wd this morning, drove it to work, stuck to the road like a champ. But now it doesn't want to shift out of 4hi. It's stuck. Any ideas, I tried putting it in reverse and backing it up and rolling it forward. I tried forcing it, putting it in neutral, etc. etc. etc. Any tricks?

I need to drive home tonight? anybody?

are you sure its not in 4lo? i got confused one time when i hit the button to turn 4wd off and it wouldnt disengage. turns out i was still in 4lo.

you can always unlock the hubs if you need to be out of 4wd for driving. the driveshaft may still spin but you wont have bad mileage or tire wear

Hey, I put my 60 in 4wd this morning, drove it to work, stuck to the road like a champ. But now it doesn't want to shift out of 4hi. It's stuck. Any ideas, I tried putting it in reverse and backing it up and rolling it forward. I tried forcing it, putting it in neutral, etc. etc. etc. Any tricks?

Its not really designed to be used on road unless its slippery all the way.
Try reversing and pushing the stick at the same time.
I suppose it would be ok to unlock the hubs and drive home.

try taking it out driving very slow.sometimes ive seen it need just a couple of quick bursts of the gas pedel to also get it out:beer: keep us posted

Sometimes I have to hit mine with my hand after moving forward. I am not able to push it but if I kind of pop it, it will come out of 4 wheel. Can you go to low?

Also you can unlock the hubs and drive it home

My guess is your acuator solenoid went bad. Do a search for it. I think the common fix is mac valves. You can also swap the vacuum hoses to disengage. I have to do this every time I want out of 4 wheel drive.

Last edited:
Where in SE Idaho are you from?

This never fails for me. Sounds crude/rough... but never fails. You said you did this but do it with more force. Put it in reverse....POP the clutch.. really pop it & push forward on the t/case shifter @ same time. Might need to do same in 1st gear.. then repeat reverse again.

Sometimes doing the reverse thing in low 4 but with not as much pop. & then repeating the above. Be certain you have oil in t/case.

Good luck, John

Thanks Guys, I was able to get it by reversing down slope in the parking garage. It popped right out. And just for clarification the roads were a virtual ice skating rink this morning, 5 slide offs and one head on in the 5 miles to work. But it all melts by afternoon. Jreed, I'm in Pocatello, how's Boise treating you? PM me if you're ever in the area. Thanks again....Case closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom