Valve wear question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I searched and read some stuff, but I didn't see this discussed.

I took the head off my spare 2f last night.

One thing I noticed is that the tops of 3 or 4 of the valves were much lower, closer to the retainers, than others. If they're worn, they're worn very evenly. The rockers for those valves didn't look exceptionally worn. I've never heard of keepers wearing out, but???

Questions are:

How close to the tops of the retainers can they be?
Should I replace the worn ones?

Anyone have pictures of the different head types, closed vs open chambers? This motor has flat-top pistons. I'm kind of assuming it's a standard '78 2f head, but...

Engine rebuild 101:

Do you keep the pushrods in the locations they came out of, or does it not matter? I marked them. I know the lifters matter.

I was taught to keep EVERYTHING in it's original position unless replacing with new or machining to fit. Something about wear patterns and all that... :grinpimp:

Don't have a clue about your valves I have yet to tear into my engine that far.

Don't know about the valves, but I've been told over and over to keep the pushrods in their original holes. They develop individual wear patterns to fit their respective rocker arms.

Don't know about the valves, but I've been told over and over to keep the pushrods in their original holes. They develop individual wear patterns to fit their respective rocker arms.

...............................and lifters:)

I know y'all are just rivited to this thread waiting to find out what's up with my valves. :rolleyes:

I pulled a few of them last night to take a look. I used a big 'C' clamp and tried to shoot keepers into my head without success. I did manage to shoot a retainer somewhere where I can't find it.

On 1, 2, 5 & 6 exhaust valves the keeper has worn away the two narrow ridges on the valve where they sit, so the valve can sink just a bit further down into the retainer.

In a perfect world, I'd replace them, but I'll bet it will run the way it is for a long time. #3 has a pretty ugly intake port, so I may take it in for a valve job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom