Yet Another Valve Stem Seal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All -

I did review the other posts on the form regarding this prior to install.

I went to replace my valve stem seals today on my 1970 FJ40 (i.e. F155). Got to the first one, and I have two questions.

First, the oem seal is the umbrella type. It is hard as a rock. I am assuming that when originally installed, it was a pliable rubber. Is that correct?

Second, I ordered the newer style seals from Rock Auto (with the spring around top). I read in another thread that the seal should "slide" on over the stem base. They do not really "slide". I have to tap them down with a socket to seat and it is a pretty tight fit. It took a little persuasion (i.e. prying) to get it back off (thankfully they came back off). Is this pretty normal? I might just go with the 2F OEM seal route if people have success with that. I don't want to do this again any time soon.

Thanks for any help

I've never done them on the 40, but they are usually rock hard after many years of high temperatures.
New ones should be a snug fit - if they're too easy to fit then they leak.
Oil the stems lightly to ease assembly, but the valves should be able to open and close once assembled - how tight is tight?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom