Looking for manuals that dont suck! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is there any other manuals out there, I have a Chilton but it is for pickups, 4 runners, and supposed to be for Landcruisers. It dint show very much at all. Then I got a Haynes 1980-1996 Landcruiser manual it is a joke, they dont show much either. Haynes and Chilton are the same company now, I called and talked to a tech guy and he emailed me a vacuum diagram that wasn't much help. In the manual the 2F isnt covered that much mostly the 3F, in the diagrams it usually say 3F pictured 2F is similar. Then it says that when pulling a tranny unbolt the bellhousing from the motor. Well anyone that has worked on one of these knows that you have to unbolt it from the tranny not the motor.

I may look into those too. I am in the same boat as MWM16. I have a Haynes manual, that not only sucks and doesn't show much, most of what it DOES show, is off the 80 series Cruisers, not 60 series trucks.

Last edited:
I fully concur. Nothing is better than the Factory Service Manual. Spendy, but worth every penny.

I pulled the tranny from my FJ62 and you do indeed have to unbolt the bell housing from the engine. The bolts that attach the bell housing to the transmission are inside the bell housing.

Believe me, I was in your same shoes with the Haynes manual. Basically shows every type of toyota truck but no detail. I ordered all 3 FSM manuals from Cruiser Dan for $116. Worth every penny!

also: if you don't believe me, ask user kevinmrowland about them.

I have a 1988 OEM manual that I got on ebay. I need one for a 1985. 88 was a big change year so it doesn't work for me. any one want to swap. or buy my 88. It covers , engine, body, chassis,electrical. I paid $60.00 for it.

I have a copy of the FSM FJ60 Heavy Duty manual that covers the axles, transmission and transfer case, along with some other stuff. No engine, though, if I recall. $35 plus the ride.

I don't seem to be able to dl from birfield. Maybe a pop up blocker issue.
I do need a 2f engine manual. I have 3 after market manuals and they all suck.

I don't seem to be able to dl from birfield. Maybe a pop up blocker issue.
I do need a 2f engine manual. I have 3 after market manuals and they all suck.
if i remember this right,it took 2 or 3 trys before i got mine down loaded.yea turn off the blocker,that may help.its worth the hassle:beer:

I was somewhat unimpressed with the newer manuals. I have the older 1972 F engine book and early 70's chassis book for my 40. I love them, great books. But the chassis book for my 60 is kind of crappy I thought. Just picture after picture, no real info, or explantions of stuff. I liked the older manuals because they explained a little of the design to you. It made it easier to troubleshoot I thought if you understood how the system in question was supposed to work.

And Haynes, pretty much a copy of the Toyota manuals, just with alot left out. But nothing more than copied photos from the factory manuals, and some of the text is nearly copied also. There are also errors and descripancies in the two.

And Haynes claims every manual is based on a complete teardown and rebuild, not really, or they would have thier own photos.

Thanks for the tip on birfield.
I also like to have the technical and design Info. I have done a lot of troubleshooting on Electical, electronic and computer systems and the stripping down of tech manuals in recent years shows up there too.
My 88 cruiser manual has efi and automatic transmission so not much use for my 2f with manual T.

For those who complain that a FSM does not contain enough explanation, remember that FSMs are written for mechanics who are assumed to have a knowledge of automotive fault diagnosis, etc.

In any case, if you're working on your own vehicle, the FSM is a must--wanna know how something comes apart or goes together, it's in there.

The Max Ellery guides are also good. They're basically condensed FSMs that cover multiple models. Nice if you just want to carry one book in the truck.

Chilton and Haynes are garbage, of course, but worth having for the occasional cross reference on a head-scratcher. Wouldn't rely on them though. Best thing is to have them all--and access to this board.

agree on the max ellery.
I managed to get all the factory manuals, both frame, body, engine etc with my 60.
So far the M E has set me stright on the 3b ( i know, diesel stuff). I also have the "glovebox " manuels for all of the early '80's BJ's, cool reading material

is there a good manual for the 3F engine..? That birfield one appears to be for the 2F...

Cheers ~PHIL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom