Poor life decisions epitomized; Taking Mom's car to the party (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really don't know how y'all Yankees live with the atrocity that is salting the roads. Can't y'all write a Congressman? Anyway, Alexa! Play "Patches" by Jerry Reed
PXL_20221018_215820239.jpg

PXL_20221018_220929058.jpg

PXL_20221018_220918171.jpg

PXL_20221018_220526450.jpg

PXL_20221018_235652241.jpg

I am still baffled this even held. Tacking stainless sheet to thin, rusty, aluminized, mild steel is not the business. Especially when you're late for a party.

I was packed, but I wasn't ready. Something was missing. I quickly realized I hadn't made this car mine, officially. Sticker installed, GTG! I've had a TLM banner on every car I've driven over the past probably five years, now we're cookin' with gas!
PXL_20221019_165200283.jpg

EASTBOUND AND DOWN!!!!
Screenshot_20221019-133629.png

PXL_20221019_182305158.jpg

PXL_20221019_202022065.jpg

Started calling the Boys Dan and Eddie the way they kept Trading Places lol
PXL_20221019_215712602.jpg

TX to TN is no joke, especially working on little sleep over the week and not hitting the road til after 1pm the day before you're supposed to be somewhere so far away. I think I made it 13 hours before I threw in the towel and caught a reststop near Nashville for a few hours of snuggles with the Boys. A quick stretch and feed for my guys and we're on our way. I am SOFAKING tired now and the coffee just isn't cutting, luckily I've got anxiety!
PXL_20221020_020345228.jpg

PXL_20221020_112842916.jpg

I did what any man would do at this point and put my hair up in a bun, grabbed a fresh cup of coffee, and hit the road.
PXL_20221020_111204423.jpg

As the sun comes up in the mountains it's really starting to hit me, all of it. I remember waking up to the sun starting to show it's face and looking out into the Smokies as they start to grow larger and larger in front of us. My father would smile and tossle my hair, a Marlboro Red loosely dangling from the corner of his mouth, and inform me that we were X amount of time away. It's been 25 years since that last time, but I could almost smell the cigarette and hear the roar of the Boggers in that moment. It's funny how certain things can transport you to a different place in time whether it be sight/smell/touch and evoke such strong emotions.
PXL_20221020_113850922.jpg

The Boys DGAF lol, they're way over being in the car despite not complaining a bit.
PXL_20221020_115225591.jpg

Coming off of 40 onto 27 which is the last leg of the trip!
PXL_20221020_123851416.jpg

Decided to stop at the Marathon to search for some Bangs since I pretty much live on caffeine and the Joe from Love's is long gone. A quick trip to the loo has me thinking some of the recent Boyscouts visiting the camp are from Memphis. The bathroom review seemed to do the trick which gave me a great chuckle as well.
PXL_20221020_124240584.jpg

PorkBabe started feeling the energy and decided to come see what had me babbling excitedly as I was sending videos to people. I'm pretty sure in this picture he's wondering how long until his chonked up butt gets breakfast and I don't blame him.
PXL_20221020_124719708.jpg

Saw this joint and had to check the ABS to get a shot. It's now one of my preferred euphemisms and a picture I saved EXPLICITLY for text responses. I really need to stop and eat there next time since I now inadvertently think of them on the reg.
PXL_20221020_125117547.jpg

About a mile and a half out from camp at this point. This is where my hair started to stand up as the reality that I'm ACTUALLY here is starting to sink in. This 230k trade-in that someone bought at auction and sold to my friend was pretty much in pieces in my living room three days ago. I'm not sure if confidence, stupidity, or the need to feel closer to my father was how this happened but if I had to bet on it, I'd place it on the Trifecta.
PXL_20221020_131818762.jpg

We're here! I had actually reserved a campsite because registration sold out fast AF. I was gonna crash the party either way, but reg opened up due to some cancellations and I got to come camp with the group and get the cool swag. Killed two birds with one rock and cancelled my res and picked up a three day pass for the trails. The first leg of the shakedown is done and dusted, this thing actually MADE IT!!!
PXL_20221020_132545818.jpg

We pulled into camp and started getting setup. The Boys were extremely eager to do some big smelling and I was just ready to be outta the car. My stupid steering wheel change made cruise control inoperable which lead to me feeling like sawing my mothereffing ankle off and installing a pegleg for the last few hours. It's not a big issue and is on the board of things to suss out. The resistance values for the functions are different. The actual stalk itself is smaller than the 100 series unit as well or I woulda modded the wheel to accept it from the jump. I didn't because I'm an extremely reckless driver and will drive with my knee maybe 60% of the time. Don't judge my kinks.
IMG_20221020_094524.jpg

After getting the tent setup I immediately jumped back into basic-bitch mode and started taking pictures of my Dogs. Windows isn't usually the Ham, but he really brought his A-Game for this trip! There's no less than seven of these shots. I literally started buying the good phones after I got Pig because I'm THAT basic. Currently rocking a Pixel6 Pro, my first android.
PXL_20221020_140354139.PORTRAIT.jpg

Pig back there not GAF, he had a chew-chew and was enjoying that good morning sun and cool weather.
PXL_20221020_140316228.jpg

PXL_20221020_140314158.jpg

It was an amazing morning. Camp was pretty much empty as it seems everyone was making their way to the trails as I was coming in. It was my first time seeing that many Land Cruisers running (hahaha) in one place and I was starting to get those old GSMTR feels.
PXL_20221020_140421165.jpg

Speaking of GSMTR feels, before I left I went ahead and coughed up my scheckles and got my TLCA membership. I grew up reading Toyota Trails and remember reading them cover to cover as soon as they came in. Ultimately that's what brought me here. I remember getting an issue and it had an excerpt about this neat get-together in a small place called Tellico Plains, TN. It was probably written by Rainey Kirk, and it had pictures of wheeling the likes we had never seen. At that time my father hadn't quite found that local group of like-minded individuals, so when the registration came up we mailed in our check and saved the date. Back to business, I reached out before joining and asked if I could have my Father's number and they were gracious enough to oblige; number 1427!!! Totally cried opening the letter with the sticker, and I'm sure I'll cry again holding that first copy of TT in my hands again. Words just can't express how much this meant to me.
Screenshot_20221011-214919.png

With camp setup I decided I wanted to go checkout the trail system. Seeing as I drove 1000 miles exactly to get here with no sliders and a stock front skid in a 200% untested vehicle, I better stick to all the easy trails. ESPECIALLY since I still haven't installed a winch, and I'm alone. The last thing I need is to get stuck somewhere with a couple Dogs and no cell service, amirite? Before I could do that I needed to do two things; drop the spare and toss it in the truck for clearance, and slap on my Father's plate.
PXL_20221020_145017689.jpg

PXL_20221020_145128165.jpg

View attachment 3153327

Well imagine my surprise when I come across this thing a few rows over. It was the end of the day, so I got my ass in gear and got what I could with what time I had left in the day with plans to return in the morning. While this is technically my first Land Cruiser and first time I've had a 100, I'm not new to Toyotas and keep my ears open. So I leave with an OME 2.5" kit, a 4 pinion front diff, and my steering wheel parts all the whole telling myself I'll be able to double my money on the diff and the lift is a selling point.

View attachment 3153352
View attachment 3153357
For the money, I'd be stupid not to grab the T Case to hoard (I have a problem, lol) as I was wanting one of these cases for a 3uz build in something else. So I go home and slap the lift on it and continue looking for a $50 steelie. About this time I see GSMTR pics after joining a few facetube pages. I was kinda sad to see it was no longer in October as that was a big part of my childhood, and flat-out devastated about Tellico closing. That place will forever hold a special place in my heart. Then I see registration for COTR22 drops, and I knew. It may not be Tellico, this 100 may not be a 55, but this is now and that was then. So I started ordering things that I felt would get me where I wanted to be instead of trying to appeal to a Cali-transplant looking for something to run to Central Market in.

View attachment 3153394

A week or so later I have five 255/85r16 Yokohama G003s wrapped around the light OEM wheels and a Chinese snorkel on the way. A little time in the creek and I'm starting to get excited. For what it lacks, the factory locker definitely helps make up for it. A couple things that bother me are clearance and flex, so I quickly remove the tow hitch and the sway bars and toss them in the round file then snag a campsite at Hidden Falls.

View attachment 3153401

Soooooo when do we get to see the 86-88 Supra that will get that nosecone you brought home?!
Pinging off the limiter in reverse trying to get outta mud with locker engaged and one wheel catching traction instantly and one in mud twisted the short shaft inside the locking collar. OEM design is kinda meh since I guess they never accounted for ham-fisted idiots like me. That coupled with a 3rd that already had a noisy pinion bearing and you get the magic.

You and I have very different problem-solving tactics. I'm not sure if yours is "right", but I'm confident you have way more fun in the process.

Soooooo when do we get to see the 86-88 Supra that will get that nosecone you brought home?!

You and I have very different problem-solving tactics. I'm not sure if yours is "right", but I'm confident you have way more fun in the process.
Oooo another Mk3 nerd! I bought that one for parts a few years back. IMO Mk3 is best Supra, but I'm honestly more of a sedan guy and they tend to be rolling boxes of Cressida parts. That being said, if y'all didn't spam IG with COTR posts earlier this year this thing would have run again. I think this pic was taken 2015 a few days before the 1G spun a bearing. I liquidated a 2jzge MK3 I traded a GX81 MarkII for and tossed all the goodies on this after it blew; coilovers, 4 piston brembos, etc. Currently waiting for me to have the space to slap the 3uz together with the r154 so I can measure for a driveshaft, then wire it and build an exhaust. But y'all just HAD to go posting pictures from last year's party...
IMG_20220531_090204.jpg

As it sits now. I only remember it exists when I need to go use the press or find a tool.
PXL_20220316_002849714.jpg

Coming up to the general store I was really hoping to catch the tail end of one of the runs for the morning, but they were gone.
PXL_20221020_151127825.jpg

With a map purchased I set out for the easy trails and quickly realized that these were pretty much equipment service roads and are mostly a waste of time for anything other than a picnic or a photo opp. So I did a bunch of the latter.
PXL_20221020_164450140.jpg

PXL_20221020_171328211.jpg

PXL_20221020_171328211.jpg
PXL_20221020_200950447.jpg

PXL_20221020_222015281.jpg

PXL_20221020_222941873.jpg

With the first taste of the Windrock trail system down, I head into town to the nearest AutoZone to grab a few things I need to be ready for some actual wheeling. I hadn't reinstalled my fender liner after annihilating my fender to install the cheapest possible snorkel I could find delivered to my door and I also needed new breather hose to replace the dry rotted stuff for the transfer case/trans breathers. I had seen signs of a few bog holes that were a solid two feet deep and was hoping for some water crossings and wanted to be ready. With supplies in hand, I made it back to camp and started knocking these tasks out. While underneath it I realized I didn't need the OEM locker harness hanging, so I clipped it, folded the ends of each wire, and added heat shrink to the tips. Now it's ready for fun.

As the sun starts to fade the cold starts setting in. Seeing as most of my supplies were locked in a Caravan a thousand miles away, I load the boys and head back into town for the Goodwill and Walmart. A few swipes of the fake money gets me a hoody, some towels, a couple sleeping bags to zip together to make a pocket for me and The Boys, some propane, and some food. Wimdows always likes posing for his Fit Check.
PXL_20221020_234108114.jpg

Pig had me cracking up looking like Alan Alda as Hawkeye after hearing Colonel Blake's plane was shot down. Jeez I'm getting old lol.
PXL_20221020_234056318.jpg

After about four hours of the M*A*S*H theme song on loop in my brain and a good night's sleep, we woke up and added our name to the list for the run to Panther Rock. I figured if I was gonna break this thing and send it home on AAA's partial dime and a U-Haul, might as well shoot for the photo-opp so people that follow hashtags think I'm out here living my best life (I'm actually not, lol).
PXL_20221021_131913729.jpg

PXL_20221021_131918134.jpg

A quick driver's meeting or what have you and we're off. I'm SUPER excited to see how far this LSD out back and 2wd will get me. I know what a true locker will do, but this is completely untested and my experience with these clutch types has left lots to be desired in other platforms. My expectations aren't high for the rear diff.
PXL_20221021_134747103.jpg

About here is where I realized I should probably lock the hubs. This is the real test; the front diff is either gonna work or it ain't. I gotta say one of the most impressive things I've seen all year and one of my favorite parts of the entire trip was watching these fitted out, 8klb, soccer-mom-mobiles work it up the mountain with very minimal effort.
PXL_20221021_162611377.jpg

PXL_20221021_162829599.jpg

Right here is where I took some body damage. It was 2000% avoidable but I was having fun taking really stupid lines because I could. It's been 25 years since I've done any ACTUAL wheeling and I just wanna see what this thing will do. This actually made me smile and I know that sounds weird, but it did. Cat Stevens said it best, The First Cut is the Deepest. Or you can go with Harry Hogge and say Rubbin' is Racin. Either way, Let's GO!
PXL_20221021_163507319.jpg

We end up getting back on what appear to mainly be access roads so I unlock the front hubs because driving at speed with a locked front sucks and I'm not trying to wear these parts that are known to break under duress Amy more than needed.
PXL_20221021_171008372.jpg

It was here where the group split up. Some folks headed back to camp, the rest of us hit some pavement right quick en route to Panther Rock.
PXL_20221021_172555070.jpg

PXL_20221021_173430151.jpg

The last section of trail down to the lookout is pretty cool! Mostly deep ruts with some tight sections near trees, there's multiple options to make it challenging or simple.
PXL_20221021_175907467.jpg

Once we made it to the bottom The Boys were extremely happy to get out and stretch some paws and see what all the fuss is about as folks shuffled rigs in and out for a sec.
PXL_20221021_180723967.jpg

It's good, this! Thanks for sharing your gift of gab with us!

This is a fun ride. The glorious hounds make it for me though!

Love it. Great writeup, and dang, amazing documentation of the (also quite impressive) work. I can't remember to take pics of anything while doing it, and here you are with like a composed photo essay. Fun read.

Also: ain't windrock cool? I was like "heh, camped there." "Yup, that little rock garden tested the sliders." etc. Just went first time for GSMTR this summer and going back up in January for CCWS. Excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom