LX570 accumulators vs LX470 accumulators (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone figured out if there's a legit difference between these two? I had the specs on the LX470 accumulators at one point, can't find it. Any search for specs on the LX470 or LX570 accumulators has not been helpful.

I know some people have run rear lx470 accumulators in the front on their lx470.

Why I'm asking: LX570 accumulators are almost half the price of the LX470's.

49141-60010 - front lx470
49141-60020 - front lx570

49151-60010 - rear lx470
49151-60020 - rear lx570

The 100 series ones show up at $154/ea on Amayama. In any case, I wouldn't mind comparison of specs on the 200 accumulators.

Please pardon my ignorance, but this is my first Landcruiser and I’ve only had it a week… but what!s an accumulator used for on this model?

Please pardon my ignorance, but this is my first Landcruiser and I’ve only had it a week… but what!s an accumulator used for on this model?
accumulators are globes/spheres with slightly larger than a softball. They have a rubber like membrane running through the middle and a nitrogen charge on one end. The other end has a hollow screw that attaches to an adjustable flow valve that then attaches to the shock. The shock would compress, sending fluid though the adjustable valve and into the accumulator that would then press against the rubber that has a nitrogen charge behind it. So the accumulators absorb the fluid movement from the shock, acting as the shock.

It's the best system and the worst system.

accumulators are globes/spheres with slightly larger than a softball. They have a rubber like membrane running through the middle and a nitrogen charge on one end. The other end has a hollow screw that attaches to an adjustable flow valve that then attaches to the shock. The shock would compress, sending fluid though the adjustable valve and into the accumulator that would then press against the rubber that has a nitrogen charge behind it. So the accumulators absorb the fluid movement from the shock, acting as the shock.

It's the best system and the worst system.

You should probably start with it’s part of AHC (Active Height Control), a hydro pneumatic suspension system. Originally standard equipment on all (US) Lexus LX470s, and optional equipment on 06-07 (US) Toyota Land Cruisers.

You should probably start with it’s part of AHC (Active Height Control), a hydro pneumatic suspension system. Originally standard equipment on all (US) Lexus LX470s, and optional equipment on 06-07 (US) Toyota Land Cruisers.
So that’s different than the globe? Or is it the same thing, and just the official name vs. colloquial term?

So that’s different than the globe? Or is it the same thing, and just the official name vs. colloquial term?

I believe that “globe” is the preferred term on this forum, but if I’m not mistaken, the proper Toyota/Lexus term is”accumulator”

Hey now, this is 'mud. We start at level 9 and go up form there. Can't waste our time with simple explanations! lol
The technical term from Toyota/Lexus is accumulator in the parts diagrams. I think the service manual refers to them as "gas chambers". In the Citroen world I think they were/are "globes". To make matters slightly more confusing there is also a "height accumulator" which is not the same as the accumulator/sphere/gas chambers found at each corner of the AHC vehicles.

"Accumulator" is a generic term for a component that stores energy - in this case, pressurized fluid. The accumulators (height accum or the accum at each corner) have pressurized gas inside a flexible membrane. The flexible membrane and pressurized gas mean you can shove pressurized fluid inside the accumulator (on the opposite side of the membrane) and "store" that energized fluid for use at a later time.

The accumulators at each corner provide nearly all the shock absorbing capability of the AHC suspension systems. They store and dissipate vertical movement energy of the suspension. There's a little motor that can alter the fluid flow rate in and out of the shock/globe assembly thereby changing the firmness of the suspension.

The height accumulator stores pressurized fluid to help the pump out when you select a higher height. This allows you to get a sudden (relatively sudden) boost of vertical height without having to wait for the pump to move all the fluid. If this component dies you'll have longer rise times.

Hey now, this is 'mud. We start at level 9 and go up form there. Can't waste our time with simple explanations! lol

The technical term from Toyota/Lexus is accumulator in the parts diagrams. I think the service manual refers to them as "gas chambers". In the Citroen world I think they were/are "globes". To make matters slightly more confusing there is also a "height accumulator" which is not the same as the accumulator/sphere/gas chambers found at each corner of the AHC vehicles.

"Accumulator" is a generic term for a component that stores energy - in this case, pressurized fluid. The accumulators (height accum or the accum at each corner) have pressurized gas inside a flexible membrane. The flexible membrane and pressurized gas mean you can shove pressurized fluid inside the accumulator (on the opposite side of the membrane) and "store" that energized fluid for use at a later time.

The accumulators at each corner provide nearly all the shock absorbing capability of the AHC suspension systems. They store and dissipate vertical movement energy of the suspension. There's a little motor that can alter the fluid flow rate in and out of the shock/globe assembly thereby changing the firmness of the suspension.

The height accumulator stores pressurized fluid to help the pump out when you select a higher height. This allows you to get a sudden (relatively sudden) boost of vertical height without having to wait for the pump to move all the fluid. If this component dies you'll have longer rise times.
This is a great explanation, thanks!

Has anyone figured out if there's a legit difference between these two? I had the specs on the LX470 accumulators at one point, can't find it. Any search for specs on the LX470 or LX570 accumulators has not been helpful.

I know some people have run rear lx470 accumulators in the front on their lx470.

49151-60010 - rear lx470
49151-60020 - rear lx570

Info from @PADDO:
570 #1 front accumulators and 470 fronts have the same volume and precharge at 400cc and 2.26 MPa. Can’t comment if they are physically interchangeable, haven’t tried.
570 #1 rear is 400cc and 1.90 MPa whereas the 470 rear is 500cc at 2.65MPa. Myth busted I believe as to if fitting 570 globes would give a 470 extra payload capacity: they’d actually reduce overall payload capacity (in the context of maintaining good dampening and ride quality) if they fitted.

49151-60010 - rear lx470
49151-60020 - rear lx570

The differences between AHC/AVS systems on LX 570 and AHC/TEMS systems on LC100/LX470 can be seen in the attached Toyota/Lexus descriptive documents.

Performance comparisons may be difficult without some on-vehicle trials by willing volunteers -- but observations by @PADDO need to be taken on board.

Gas Chambers (Toyota/Lexus-speak) = ‘globes’ = ‘spheres’ in various parts of the world -- and are listed as ‘accumulators’ in some Parts Catalogues – but not to be confused with the long cylindrical ‘Height Control Accumulator’ on LC100/LX470 nor the similar ‘Suspension Control Pump Accumulator’ on LX570.

Volume and ex-factory pressures are given, but not physical dimensions nor thread details etc -- physical interchangeability between LX570 and LC100/LX470 is unclear.

In the LX570, there are different kinds of suspension 'Gas Chambers' as part of the system -- so best to check pictures when looking at Parts Catalogues (such as Partsouq):

Page:
CH-90: No. 1 Gas Chamber – Front and Rear, volumes are same but pressures are different,
CH-91: No. 2 Gas Chamber – Front and Rear, volumes and pressures are the same,
CH-92: Relief Gas Chamber – Front and Rear volumes are same but pressures are different,

In the LC100/LX470, there are only the well-known Front and Rear suspension 'Gas Chambers':

Page:
208: Gas Chambers – Front and Rear, volumes and pressures are different.

Attachments

• AHC LC100-LX470 - General Description and Diagrams.pdf
    319.4 KB · Views: 113
  • LX570 AHC-AVS Suspension Description.pdf
    634.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Volume and ex-factory pressures are given, but not physical dimensions nor thread details etc -- physical interchangeability between LX570 and LC100/LX470 is unclear.

If this is same size as OEM, then LX570's globe can be installed on LX470 physically.

Hello everyone I saw this thread and thought hey I need those bad and I’ll try the swap. Well I’ll happily tell you they can be swapped and they do work. The rear is slightly stiffer than I remember. The LX570 globes have a nut on the rear of the globe as opposed to having the 36mm flair on the front

Hello everyone I saw this thread and thought hey I need those bad and I’ll try the swap. Well I’ll happily tell you they can be swapped and they do work. The rear is slightly stiffer than I remember. The LX570 globes have a nut on the rear of the globe as opposed to having the 36mm flair on the front
Were you able to get the pressures in spec and do the gradient test?

Were you able to get the pressures in spec and do the gradient test?
I have no done that yet I still need to replace all my bushings on the shocks seeing she is at 400k so I just did a temporary bleed so I could put the wheels back on the ground for now. But without the pressure specs and gradient test she feels like new again with a stiffer rear shocks

I am legit doing all my research and making my parts list to tackle a full suspension overhaul including my AHC Globes. I am VERY VERY interested in the LX570 Globes and compatibility with my LX470.

I am legit doing all my research and making my parts list to tackle a full suspension overhaul including my AHC Globes. I am VERY VERY interested in the LX570 Globes and compatibility with my LX470.
Compatible yes, exactly the same in size yes, easier install and future change out than the lx470 (definitely). Only thing is the rear specs are very different internal from the spec sheet. My coil springs are shot so I still have some wiggle between those and the rear control arm movement

Compatible yes, exactly the same in size yes, easier install and future change out than the lx470 (definitely). Only thing is the rear specs are very different internal from the spec sheet. My coil springs are shot so I still have some wiggle between those and the rear control arm movement
Do you have any update on pressure readings?

Do you have any update on pressure readings?
I don’t and honestly I probably won’t do it because it works, is 100x better than having blown out globes, and I’m too cheap to go have someone read the pressures. My globes had 400k on them before replacement and the truck is a 1999 and just my spare ride at this point in its life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom