Trade FJ40 early barn doors for tailgate. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’m just about to convert my barn doors to a tailgate, but before I do I thought I’d check to see if anyone wants to trade for a tailgate. These barn doors are in great condition.

AF04ABC9-24A6-43F6-BA57-9E850086ADB0.jpeg

5A62E64C-2C00-4BBF-B8A2-70924EECA752.jpeg

Still have them, but never found a good tailgate, so still thinking about converting them into a tailgate, but I guess I can start to look for a good tailgate again...

Still have them, but never found a good tailgate, so still thinking about converting them into a tailgate, but I guess I can start to look for a good tailgate again...
Yes, wait on making a tailgate out of barn doors. They show up, what year tailgate are you needing?

Yes, wait on making a tailgate out of barn doors. They show up, what year tailgate are you needing?
I’ve got a ‘79 FJ40 that I want to run a soft top with tailgate. I didn’t know there was a difference in tailgate years.

Thanks
Scott

It’s the width of the raised vertical section between each depressed panel.
FJ25-65/40,45? Are narrow. Not sure on change date, I’d have to look it up. This makes the depressed panels wider.
Later tailgates have a wider vertical raised section with smaller side depressed panels.

I like the functionality of the Aqualu, but IMO it's ugly, it looks like a door off a utility bed. Of course that's just my opinion.

I like the functionality of the Aqualu, but IMO it's ugly, it looks like a door off a utility bed. Of course that's just my opinion.
Agreed

It is ugly, it reminds me of a tailgate on a kubota xtv but to see a good set of barn doors get welded just kills me.

I’m with ya, but funny thing is when I put them up for sale no one wanted them, so instead of storing them I figured I’d put them to good use.

I’m with ya, but funny thing is when I put them up for sale no one wanted them, so instead of storing them I figured I’d put them to good use.
I have a nice set but have been waiting to get a good soft top and bows for my 77. My issue is I need to get my tub all decent before I do that.

I have seen theirs and have considered, but only if I can sell the good set of doors I have. That was the trade-off to me, sell these doors to fund a tailgate, or just turn the doors into a tailgate.

I have seen theirs and have considered, but only if I can sell the good set of doors I have. That was the trade-off to me, sell these doors to fund a tailgate, or just turn the doors into a tailgate.

So, what would these doors set a country fella from WV back? Also, do you adhere to the ancient rite of the barter? Anything between “Money, guns and lawyers” is on the table..

I really never put a price on the tailgate, the purpose was to trade of a used tailgate so I could have a tailgate without much cost to me. Barter is good, but all my costs are Land Cruiser related right now so anything Land Cruiser would be considered. I guess I could add '72 suburban and '60 Jeep FC to the list. :D

I've been gathering parts for years for my fj45xcab build and have the same delima about a tailgate but i have a few extra set of hatch doors and have seen a tailgate made from them and it looked great. Tailgates are much harder to come by than half doors so I don't feel too bad about welding mine up.

I've been gathering parts for years for my fj45xcab build and have the same delima about a tailgate but i have a few extra set of hatch doors and have seen a tailgate made from them and it looked great. Tailgates are much harder to come by than half doors so I don't feel too bad about welding mine up.
Do you have a passenger side for sale?

No, I’d want to sell them as a pair.

Thanks
Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom