Taking the plunge on Friday (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been lurking on here for a few weeks since I learned that I will be acquiring a '95 Land Cruiser. It belongs to a good family friend who is unfortunately suffering from dementia and who is being put into memory care. It has a buttload of miles (roughly 380k) but it's been immaculately maintained and garage kept. He bought it new so I know the entire history. I've went to the two local mechanics he used and had all the maintenance records pulled. I haven't completely poured through them yet. I was supposed to get it weeks ago, but liquidating an estate is a lot of work and they've been super busy and I'm getting a pretty screaming deal based on the recent market so I've just laid back and been patient.

Anyway, it's a '95. It has factory lockers. It's dark green. He had the interior redone last year. Transmission was serviced earlier this year. Looks like most if not all belts and hoses have been replaced in the last two years based on appearance and maintenance records. Brakes done last year. A/C overhauled last year.

The plan is to use it as basically an emergency vehicle/toy. I also have a '97 Jeep TJ that fits the same bill so it's a bit redundant but my wife has always wanted a LC, I'm always down for another fun 4x4 project, and we do need a non-manual emergency vehicle since my Jeep is a stick and my wife refuses to learn how to drive a stick.

I'll follow up with pics on Friday or Saturday.

I've always liked the idea of a Jeep, can't quite seem to shake it. Then I drive one and run right back to LC.
LOL

I've always liked the idea of a Jeep, can't quite seem to shake it. Then I drive one and run right back to LC.
LOL
I aged out of DDing a Jeep over 15 years ago. Great to have as a secondary vehicle but a daily driver? Nah, I'm good.

If you have to compare a Land Cruiser to a Jeep, here's an interesting stat, the Toyota Land Cruiser is consistently rated as one of, if not the most reliable vehicle ever made . The Jeep is consistently rated as one of the least reliable vehicle and on the "vehicles to avoid list", don't take my word for it look it up . My 28 year old Land Cruiser runs nearly as good as the day I bought it and its nowhere near its end of life. In 28 years all of those new Jeeps that you see driving around will still be on the roads but as Hyundais, maybe even Hyundais then recycled again into Subarus. Was that too harsh? I apologize in advance to all the Jeep owners.

Last edited:
If you have to compare a Land Cruiser to a Jeep, here's an interesting stat, the Toyota Land Cruiser is consistently rated as one of, if not the most reliable vehicle ever made . The Jeep is consistently rated as one of the least reliable vehicle and on the "vehicles to avoid list", don't take my word for it look it up . My 28 year old Land Cruiser runs nearly as good as the day I bought it and its nowhere near its end of life. In 28 years all of those new Jeeps that you see driving around will still be on the roads but as Hyundais, maybe even Hyundais then recycled again into Subarus. Was that too harsh? I apologize in advance to all the Jeep owners.
No comparison being made here. If you're deciding between a two door TJ and a FJ80, I'd argue that you're very confused as to what you actually want because you're deciding between two extremely different vehicles. Honestly, not sure how this turned into a Jeep bashing thread. I'm gonna have and enjoy both soon. I guess some people will be mad about that. That's on them.

No comparison being made here. If you're deciding between a two door TJ and a FJ80, I'd argue that you're very confused as to what you actually want because you're deciding between two extremely different vehicles. Honestly, not sure how this turned into a Jeep bashing thread. I'm gonna have and enjoy both soon. I guess some people will be mad about that. That's on them.
I actually really like Jeeps, they are probably the most capable off road vehicle ever made not to mention with the right build they look amazing. I considered buying a Rubicon more than once but every time I get serious and read owner reviews I am always turned off by their reliability. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Land Cruiser.

My friend has a built TJ and I have a pretty stock 80. We dog on each other all the time in good fun. I'm not a huge fan of jeep but what I would give for that level of domestic aftermarket support. You can't throw a rock without hitting a solid jeep parts supplier.

You know that the "still be on the roads but as Hyundai" was petty funny or at least it was funny to me!

I actually really like Jeeps, they are probably the most capable off road vehicle ever made not to mention with the right build they look amazing. I considered buying a Rubicon more than once but every time I get serious and read owner reviews I am always turned off by their reliability. Maybe I'm just spoiled by my Land Cruiser.
What I've found with Jeeps is that they're either the best vehicle you'll ever owned or the worst and there's no gray area in between and they most are the latter. I've been very lucky with mine. The thing has been dead nuts reliable and I've done nothing but absolutely abuse it. The plan was for it to be sitting on full size axles and an LS swap long ago, but the stock drivetrain just refuses to die despite getting nothing but fluid changes every couple of years.

Honestly, not sure how this turned into a Jeep bashing thread.
Be glad that the old crusty curmudgeons haven't chimed in (yet). My dad has been a Cruiser owner for 48 years and has never said one positive thing about a Jeep.

I guess I shouldn't have mentioned I also have a Jeep. A Jeep discussion was never the intention.

This thread is almost as bad as the 3FE vs 1FZ threads.
Anyway, congrats on the new rig. Show us pictures when you can. Post pics of your jeep next to it so all the Hilary fans will shriek like banshees.
I don’t apologize in advance if I offend anyone. :flipoff2:

It's here. Y'all can calm down about the Jeep. That's the primary DD in front of the LC. ;)

PXL_20210820_183530484.jpg

The market on these things is insane. I've had it less than two hours and have already been offered $5k more than I paid.

It was garage kept so overall the paint is in great shape for 26 year old vehicle.

PXL_20210820_194140430.jpg

The underneath is completely rust free.
PXL_20210820_193815060.jpg

Front seats were reupholstered last year but the rest of the leather is in pretty rough shape. I'll probably just put an aftermarket seat cover on the middle seat and call it good.
PXL_20210820_194031963.jpg
PXL_20210820_194040779.jpg

Underneath the hood is clean. There's a pretty decent oil leak that I'm going to have to look into, but I'm almost certain it's all coming from the rear main seal. In my experience, if a 26 year old vehicle isn't leaking some oil it's because the 26 year old vehicle is out of oil.
PXL_20210820_194203345.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom