1996 FJ80 power steering issue......still (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The issue I am having is the steering wheel is very hard to turn left, only left......steering right is one finger easy!

Alright so I have done everything I have thought to do.
Brand new PS pump from Toyota (yes the keyway is in) and bled using FSM
Overhauled steering box with 105 sector shaft with 105 pitman arm
Rebuilt the front axle (used Koyo bearing all around) used oem shims and on the pull scale the knuckle was around 6 lbs.
Also check the crank torque of 304 LBS. which is a pain in the ass

Weight off the wheels everything feels fine as soon as truck hits the ground hard to turn left.........

any further help and or insight would be awesome.

Thank you,
Mike W.

The issue I am having is the steering wheel is very hard to turn left, only left......steering right is one finger easy!

Alright so I have done everything I have thought to do.
Brand new PS pump from Toyota (yes the keyway is in) and bled using FSM
Overhauled steering box with 105 sector shaft with 105 pitman arm
Rebuilt the front axle (used Koyo bearing all around) used oem shims and on the pull scale the knuckle was around 6 lbs.
Also check the crank torque of 304 LBS. which is a pain in the ass

Weight off the wheels everything feels fine as soon as truck hits the ground hard to turn left.........

any further help and or insight would be awesome.

Thank you,
Mike W.
Check your tie rod that it's hitting your lower front control arms. Frequently the clamps on the ends of the tie rod are in the wrong position and they hang up.

Check your tie rod that it's hitting your lower front control arms. Frequently the clamps on the ends of the tie rod are in the wrong position and they hang up.
No boots on the tie rods.......and no contact of DOM tubing hitting arms or binding when on jack stands.

No boots on the tie rods.......and no contact of DOM tubing hitting arms or binding when on jack stands.
I'm not talking about boots. I'm talking about the CLAMPS that hold the threads in the ends of the tie rods. The CLAMPS hit the control arms.

1624326382551.png

1624326419838.png

No claims sir I have DOM tubing with lock nuts on tie rod ends.
OK, Now I understand.

I would guess the PS gear then if it limits travel only one direction.

If you disassembled the birfs, did you get the ball cage back together in the correct orientation? They can go back together backwards and bind, but I would think they would bind in all directions.

Did the problem exist before any of the repairs listed above, or was that what ALL the repairs were intended to fix?

OK, Now I understand.

I would guess the PS gear then if it limits travel only one direction.

If you disassembled the birfs, did you get the ball cage back together in the correct orientation? They can go back together backwards and bind, but I would think they would bind in all directions.

Did the problem exist before any of the repairs listed above, or was that what ALL the repairs were intended to fix?
The issue was before any work was performed.
A little back story, I rebuilt the front end 3 years ago with RCV axles after a weekend overland trip which induced a bit of death wobble.....been great until 9 months ago when I felt the issue at hand.

First fix attempt was the steering box due to the steering also feeling loose.

I did not take the axles/birfs apart just re-greased via the nipple on the end of the birf.

You should have someone work the steering while you go under and look. You could have a whack joint in the steering too that is stiff in one direction or something.

The issue was before any work was performed.
A little back story, I rebuilt the front end 3 years ago with RCV axles after a weekend overland trip which induced a bit of death wobble.....been great until 9 months ago when I felt the issue at hand.

First fix attempt was the steering box due to the steering also feeling loose.

I did not take the axles/birfs apart just re-greased via the nipple on the end of the birf.
How about a couple pics from the front as well as the rear underneath.

Maybe one of us will see something you don't because you're too close to it......

It could also be the steering damper if you have one and whether or not it is attached in the factory locations.

You should have someone work the steering while you go under and look. You could have a whack joint in the steering too that is stiff in one direction or something.
I have when I was bleeding the pump and box but will get a hand to help again and let ya know.

How about a couple pics from the front as well as the rear underneath.

Maybe one of us will see something you don't because you're too close to it......

It could also be the steering damper if you have one and whether or not it is attached in the factory locations.
I will take a few pictures tomorrow before work.
I do have the tough dog adjustable steering dampener.

Sorry for not posting yesterday was pouring buckets over here. Here are some photos I can get her into the garage maybe tomorrow to get some with the wheels off of needed.
20210623_100934.jpg
20210623_100916.jpg
20210623_100845.jpg
20210623_100811.jpg
20210623_100725.jpg

Does the pump make (more) noise when steering in either direction, tires on and off the pavement?

Symptoms point to the box, specifically the input section.

Does the pump make (more) noise when steering in either direction, tires on and off the pavement?
Under normal driving conditions no noise. When you go full lock right the rpms drop and the pump (strains) I guess is the best way to explain the sound, full lock left intermittent rpm drop (strains)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom