Amber Fog Light (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My next question is the two little lights on the top portion of the tailgate. I've tried to search to find out what bulb that one is, because the two I have don't light up at all. Any luck knowing which bulb that is?

Two lights above the tag are 194 or 168 bulbs same as corner lights up front.

Can't tell in these photos but I put in the hella yellow h3s off of Amazon, they look way better in person. Also cleaned up my lenses.

Going through those reviews, it sounds like these bulbs have a 100 hour life span so may not last long if you always keep them on.

My buddy tented his lenses yellow so that may be the way to go.

IMG_20200803_204505.jpg

Planning a solo hunt myself to CO in a month.

Over the last 2 years I've been experimenting with yellow/3k bulbs. Started with Nokya + Hella H3's, both sets "bubbled" and failed. Ended up going to set 1 of LED Amazon yellow h3's - solid performance, but they ultimately failed and seemed to run very hot. I finally swapped to an H3 35w 3K HID set, great output and they seem to maintain their cutoff very well.

54EE29A8-79EA-4652-A432-673B70B92384.jpeg

IMG_2054.jpeg

IMG_2055.jpeg

Over the last 2 years I've been experimenting with yellow/3k bulbs. Started with Nokya + Hella H3's, both sets "bubbled" and failed. Ended up going to set 1 of LED Amazon yellow h3's - solid performance, but they ultimately failed and seemed to run very hot. I finally swapped to an H3 35w 3K HID set, great output and they seem to maintain their cutoff very well.

View attachment 2400335

View attachment 2400336

View attachment 2400338
This is so good. Ok, so question, for the side break light...how in the heck do you get to that bulb? I don't see access to in through the hood.

This is so good. Ok, so question, for the side break light...how in the heck do you get to that bulb? I don't see access to in through the hood.

As in the corner lights next to the headlights? I believe you have to take them out entirely IIRC, there's a screw at the top of them you need to undo, then a clip on the headlight side of them towards the bottom that clips into the headlight housing - then they should pull out. Easier said than done unfortunately. I replaced mine with no-name amber LED bulbs and they've had no issues over 3 years now.

As in the corner lights next to the headlights? I believe you have to take them out entirely IIRC, there's a screw at the top of them you need to undo, then a clip on the headlight side of them towards the bottom that clips into the headlight housing - then they should pull out. Easier said than done unfortunately. I replaced mine with no-name amber LED bulbs and they've had no issues over 3 years now.
Right on. I'll give it a shot later today. Thanks!

Good to know, any photos of how you mounted your HID balast and wiring? plug and play with the H3 wiring or did you have to drill a hole in the back of the dust cover? IMO HIDs are the best output for the money at the moment, you really need to spend big on LEDs to get comparable lumen output.

I got it done without breaking anything. Yuuuuuge win for me haha.

IMG_20200811_171028.jpg

Good to know, any photos of how you mounted your HID balast and wiring? plug and play with the H3 wiring or did you have to drill a hole in the back of the dust cover? IMO HIDs are the best output for the money at the moment, you really need to spend big on LEDs to get comparable lumen output.

Mediocre picture, but drilled into the dust cap. I wanted to maintain the OEM wiring since I figured the dust cap was the easiest thing to replace if I wanted to revert this a bit. The ballast is mounted in the bumper above the fog light (you can barely see it here), used silicone glue to hold it there - again because I wanted to be able to remove it without much of a trace after.

IMG_2081.jpeg

Hey guys,

I've just bought my 1st 100 series, LX470. Wanting to remove the OEM fog light bulb and put in an amber/yellow upgraded bulb. I've searched and searched and just not seeing something that definitely feels like it is what I want. Lame question, I know...but super grateful for anyone who has done this and can share which bulb you bought. This was uper easy to find for my FJ 🤷‍♂️
not a lame question at all. i've just purchase an 06 LC, and i'm wanting to upgrade to the gnarliest zenon/HID or LED 3000K fog lights i can fit in the original bumper housings. even if the new elements require some additional co-located drivers.

View attachment 2398228

View attachment 2398229
these are the amazon h3 LED switchback 6k - 3k in the oem fog housings. Plug and play no cutting or issues with the install. Didnt even have to remove the housing. Better than oem light output but not a HID level of lumens.
How are these holding up. Which ones did you happen to purchase? Was looking for a pair of switchback but wasn't sure if the built in fans would fit without modification. Sounds like you didn't have to modify anything?

These color match perfectly for yellow fogs and parking lights:

Parking lights
Fog lights

EDIT: these are 3000K, which is the popular yellow color.
Thought I'd follow up, that link goes to the 6K fogs. Apparently they pulled the highest power 3K fogs from the market.

Thought I'd follow up, that link goes to the 6K fogs. Apparently they pulled the highest power 3K fogs from the market.
I can highly recommend the Evolution the Micro Evolution fogs from VLED. The specs speak for themselves. I got the 6K to match my new projector headlights/halos. I have no idea why everyone thinks fogs have to be yellow? Sure, contrast, bla bla, bla.

You do have to protect the light housing fan from wheel throw-off, but I engineered an easy DIY solution. Use a Penta brand, 1 liter bottle (the straight version). Cut off 4" of the bottle end. Use a 2" hole saw to cut a breather hole, and then double wrap 2 duct tape loops over that. The beautiful thing is the Penta bottle is a thick wall plastic, and exactly the right size for a friction fit to the large gasket around the OEM fog connector - I tried a million different plastic bottles. If you put a little dish soap on the rubber gasket, the Penta bottle will just barely twist over. Pretty dope, and never coming off! Now the Micro Evolutions can both breath, and have their little micro cooling fans protected! Laugh at my McGeyvor fix, but my fogs will be brighter than yours! :)

IMG_3075.JPG
IMG_3076.JPG
Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 4.48.02 PM.png

Last edited:
How are these holding up. Which ones did you happen to purchase? Was looking for a pair of switchback but wasn't sure if the built in fans would fit without modification. Sounds like you didn't have to modify anything?
Doing well after 10k miles. The amz ones i bought dont have a fan, just a heatsink. Multiple 1200k trips driving all night, no issues or no flickering after non stop use. Only complaint is that light output is stock or alittle bit better. When the amber is on, you can see the hue on the pavement. If your looking for light output id look at something higher quality. These are great if you just looking for a stock replacement with some amber once in a while.
on amz
CIIHON H3 LED Fog Light Bulb 3030SMD 35W Lighted Bulbs Not Headlight 1900LM Dual Color 6000K White 3000K Yellow DRL Replacement Pack of 2

Last edited:
Doing well after 10k miles. The amz ones i bought dont have a fan, just a heatsink. Multiple 1200k trips driving all night, no issues or no flickering after non stop use. Only complaint is that light output is stock or alittle bit better. When the amber is on, you can see the hue on the pavement. If your looking for light output id look at something higher quality. These are great if you just looking for a stock replacement with some amber once in a while.
on amz
CIIHON H3 LED Fog Light Bulb 3030SMD 35W Lighted Bulbs Not Headlight 1900LM Dual Color 6000K White 3000K Yellow DRL Replacement Pack of 2
Funny thing is I ended up buying the same pair. This is a silly question but did you only plug on the red spade connector? I have no clue why my lights wont turn on...

Edit: the second spade connector (oddly for an h3 looks to be the ground). When I touched the metal clip the light turned on so I'm assuming the circuit wasn't complete.

You're right about the output. Looks great but I'm debating on keeping them myself now.

Last edited:
Funny thing is I ended up buying the same pair. This is a silly question but did you only plug on the red spade connector? I have no clue why my lights wont turn on...

Edit: the second spade connector (oddly for an h3 looks to be the ground). When I touched the metal clip the light turned on so I'm assuming the circuit wasn't complete.

You're right about the output. Looks great but I'm debating on keeping them myself now.
Yeah im thinking the same thing, the light output is lacking. I may upgrade to @BenCC LX fog light print bracket and use a quality aftermarket fog (nudge nudge @BenCC haha) in the future.

Yeah im thinking the same thing, the light output is lacking. I may upgrade to @BenCC LX fog light print bracket and use a quality aftermarket fog (nudge nudge @BenCC haha) in the future.
The Baja Designs Squadron lights seem a very popular choice. I just made a pair for the lights for LC. I am still figuring out how to develop a set for LX.

1616208315003.png

The Baja Designs Squadron lights seem a very popular choice. I just made a pair for the lights for LC. I am still figuring out how to develop a set for LX.

1616208315003.png
Hey @BenCC any updates for the LX fog like the LC above?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom