lesson learned... FIPG effing expires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So im paying stupid tax today. I bought some FIPG orange (00295-01281) only to find that after 2 days, it is still gummy and wet.

so I called the number on the tube for ThreeBond product support. turns out, the product was expired. There is an expiration date, but Toyota chooses not to include one on their packaging.

according to the rep, the product I have is 3 years old, and the tube expires after only 6 months.

So, if you are going to use orange fipg, be sure to check the expiration date: the end of a tube is a 6 digit code. the 2nd and third digits represent the year it was made. if its not current, don't use it.

the rep even advised me that even if the product did dry, not to use it expired, as the expired material even if it did dry, would likely cure to a porous state and not be reliable long-term.

Just thought I would share this bit of knowledge, because it was new to me. Never heard of this before.

Why wouldn't Toyota put an expiration date on this product? Now I have to redo my trans pan and rear transfer case. :( not happy with Mr T rn.

So, my dealer is telling me that they cannot get any replacement Orange fipg to me until next Tuesday... if I used the gray Permatex, would I regret it? Anybody ever used that with good success?

So, my dealer is telling me that they cannot get any replacement Orange fipg to me until next Tuesday... if I used the gray Permatex, would I regret it? Anybody ever used that with good success?
What are you sealing?

Nevermind. Just saw it.

Any permatex rated for the fluid will work.
I used the grey one in green grey tube for differential. Should work on T case. Napa has a rubber gasket for the trans pan that is way easier then FIPG and in my experience reusable.

Check to see if your "gray Permatex" is compatible with ATF. If it is, I think you're good.

I used the grey one in green grey tube for differential. Should work on T case. Napa has a rubber gasket for the trans pan that is way easier then FIPG and in my experience reusable.
OEMs go back and forth between tube sealants and die cut gaskets. The difference has no relationship to performance; it's all about component cost to the assembly line.

As long as what you're using to seal the fluid in is compatible with the fluid and the operating environment, you're good.

Just ordered the Napa gasket... gonna give it a shot. I didn't know one was available.

with an iron pig crossmember, and inherent atf bath, I don't wanna go back in there for a good long while. only reason I went in there to begin with was my throttle cable was overstretched. when I was able to change it out without dropping the throttle body, I thought I had gotten out of it easy. Little did I know the fun was just beginning. lol thanks for the info

Last edited:
A6F96BCC-938F-4E7E-B15D-48EBA0015AE6.jpeg

Expired. Expired.

I use the product "The Right Stuff" in BLACK from the FLAPS. (the grey is not suited for oil contact)

It's about $25 in a cheeze-wiz type can, but it is oil-resistant and sets in 5 minutes an can go into service within 15 minutes.

This is NOT the same stuff as the Permatex Black in the squeeze tube. That is more an RTV silicone and doesn't do as well with oil products.

I used Permatex gray on the back of my transfer case when I yoinked out the viscous coupling. Never leaked.

I used the black FIPG on my transmission pan because I keep buying the wrong one. I used it for 2 filter changes no problems there either. Would definitely go with a gasket next time. Such a pain to scrape off so much adhesive.

Cna you provide a photo of the box and tube you used that indicates that Three Bond is the manufacturer?
... sure if it helps. also.. the last part of the Toyota pn corresponds with the ThreeBond part number. plus, if you call them, they acknowledge they make the product, and their support is very responsive.

20210204_115930.jpg

20210204_120003.jpg

I purchased mine from Elmhurst Toyota in July, 2020. The numbers and letters on my tube read "B18I10". Elmhurst responded that it is a Toyota product. See quote below and the photos of my item. You'll note in the images of mine, the "Supplied by:" note is missing.

I did confirm that, while initially behaving like yours, mine is firming up. My application is in a garage at 40F or so. Two test samples left overnight (one left in the garage and the other inside) confirm that temperature is greatly affecting cure time.

The numbers on the bottle are not a date stamp, they are a lot number. This is not a Three-bond product, it is a Toyota product. The product should be used within 6 months of opening, a sealed bottle does not expire in 6 months. If the product is used properly it will seal. If any fluid makes contact with the sealant, the sealant will not cure.

PXL_20210204_180859212.jpg

PXL_20210204_180904734.jpg

Cna you provide a photo of the box and tube you used that indicates that Three Bond is the manufacturer?
according to the unusually knowledgeable product support guy i talked to, what happens is is the silicone becomes unbound, it has to do with time, not temperature. It will eventually dry, but it will never perform properly. sounds like that dealer parts guy was just making stuff up, with a little effort they have a product support number they can call to get more accurate information. for the transmission, the gasket available through Napa is a winner.

also thought I'd mention, threebond actually called the Toyota and got a replacement for me. I guess the dealership just had it camped out on the shelf for years. They had no idea it expired either. They might be able to do the same for you.

also thought I'd mention, threebond actually called the Toyota and got a replacement for me. I guess the dealership just had it camped out on the shelf for years. They had no idea it expired either. They might be able to do the same for you.
Agreed. I'm not suggesting that the Elmhurst Toyota Parts guy knows anything, just reporting the stereotypical and expected response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom