My BudBuilt Sliders are on! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Seems less sturdy. But what do I know.

Seems less sturdy. But what do I know.

I don't have the engineering data to know how much additional stiffness / strength the welded version would have over the bolted in face plate. Anecdotally I'd say it makes sense that the bolted in face plate would not provide quite as much stiffness / strength as the welded version.

Now, with that said, I guess it's all relative. These sliders have 3/8" steel base plates (that mount to the frame rails), 6 gusseted tubes which connect the base plates to the main loop on the sliders themselves. All the tubing is .120 DOM steel. To my knowledge, these are the "beefiest" sliders on the market for a 200. They weigh over 100 lbs per side. I don't think I'm going to have any strength issues here.

After inspecting what I received, a lack of strength is about the last thing that went through my mind with these things. Its almost comical how robust these sliders are.

I don't have the engineering data to know how much additional stiffness / strength the welded version would have over the bolted in face plate. Anecdotally I'd say it makes sense that the bolted in face plate would not provide quite as much stiffness / strength as the welded version.

Now, with that said, I guess it's all relative. These sliders have 3/8" steel base plates (that mount to the frame rails), 6 gusseted tubes which connect the base plates to the main loop on the sliders themselves. All the tubing is .120 DOM steel. To my knowledge, these are the "beefiest" sliders on the market for a 200. They weigh over 100 lbs per side. I don't think I'm going to have any strength issues here.

After inspecting what I received, a lack of strength is about the last thing that went through my mind with these things. Its almost comical how robust these sliders are.

Agreed. As someone who has the welded variety, it is intriguing to have the step plate with a textured finish and the rest of it powdered wit ha smooth finish. Probably would have gone that route. Looking forward to seeing/reading more about these.

I know, I have a set of the welded ones.

Edit: I know how robust Budbuilt sliders are because I have them.

Last edited:
Found wh
sorry, found this funny
Found what funny? I know how robust Budbuilt sliders are because I have them on my rig. I think the welded version like I have would be stronger than the bolted plate version. What do you find funny about that?

"what do i know" followed by "I know..."

Just a general comment, ease up a little.

I'm glad that gives you joy. We all need a little funny in these times.

Here is what I was trying to convey:
  • I am not a materials engineer, and I do not have any knowledge about strength differences between sliders with fully welded plates and sliders with bolted on plates.
  • I know how robust BudBuilt sliders are, in general, because I have a set of them on my Land Cruiser.

I would say that the strength difference of the plates being welding in is insignificant. But the removable option is pretty cool, would allow options like stainless diamond plate (no rust) but with all the strength of steel for the structure. Then I start thinking... walnut/rosewood inlays for the 1% folks! Plexiglass/lexan for see-through!

I'm sure you guys can come up with other cool ideas...

since people seemed interested in how this bolts on. Pics attached.
20200507_163404.jpg

20200507_163334.jpg

20200507_163324.jpg

To clear up some questions up about strength, the sliders gain no strength increase from a fill plate. All the strength of a BB slider comes from the tubing arrangement and angles used.

The bolt in is something that I've wanted to make for a very long time, possibly a decade. So now that I've joined BudBuilt, we started on it about a year ago. These are some of the first to be out there, but so far, the response has been what I taught it would be. A cool option for some, and others that like the weld in. Not like we can't make both.

Sliders are now on. 3/8" is so thick, good lord. Please excuse the car (mid atlantic pollen + black == :( )
20200512_145935.jpg

20200512_145919.jpg

20200512_145856.jpg

20200512_145845.jpg

They have a nice subtle upslant, that should help slide off rocks. They also make the large side steps appear much smaller. Overall I was expecting them to be a bit more obnoxiously large, and they are not at all. Very happy so far. Now I just need the trails to open back up!

Sliders are now on. 3/8" is so thick, good lord. Please excuse the car (mid atlantic pollen + black == :( )
View attachment 2304030
View attachment 2304031
View attachment 2304032
View attachment 2304033

They have a nice subtle upslant, that should help slide off rocks. They also make the large side steps appear much smaller. Overall I was expecting them to be a bit more obnoxiously large, and they are not at all. Very happy so far. Now I just need the trails to open back up!
Looks great, especially the kick-out.

I don't know if it matters, but it looks like maybe the P5 and P4 bolts are flipped. Since the gas tank is on the other side of those bolts, I was pretty sensitive to bolt length when I installed mine.

Just ordered mine and got the last set in this batch. On their way to the powder coating, back to Bud's for a QC and then on their way to SoCal. Rob was gracious with his time and explained that because I got on the waiting list I was able to get notified of what was available. He says they are selling out before they get back and get posted on the website. So for anyone else interested get on the list and get the next available.

Last edited:
Anyone else get the updated budbuilt sliders installed with the bolted fill plates? Curious to see what the step version looks like if anyone snagged those and if they got them without the kick out. Not seeing the no kick out option and I haven't reached out to budbuilt yet. Website includes the measurements below, which indicates the steps don't have a kick out option currently while the sliders likely do.

Steps =16" from frame (assume no kickout per website description)
Sliders = 15.5" from frame (no kickout)
Sliders = 17.5 from frame (w/ kick out)

Last edited:
Anyone else get the updated budbuilt sliders installed with the bolted fill plates? Curious to see what the step version looks like if anyone snagged those and if they got them without the kick out. Not seeing the no kick out option and I haven't reached out to budbuilt yet. Website includes the measurements below, which indicates the steps don't have a kick out option currently while the sliders likely do.

Steps =16" from frame (assume no kickout per website description)
Sliders = 15.5" from frame (no kickout)
Sliders = 17.5 from frame (w/ kick out)
IMG_3291.jpg
IMG_3295.jpg
IMG_3296.jpg
LC200 Step sldr Woman on step.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom