Covid-19 thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Rant time for Avi….

Crew, I need to get some things off my chest considering the current situation. Think after reading Chris’s dealings with Amazon I have finally boiled over myself…

I have about had it with the occupants of the Dover area. I have done as much as I can to not have to go out shopping, and when I do, I have a sense of purpose. I go. I know what I need I hit the isles I have to, and I grab what I can and keep moving to limit my time out in public as much as possible.
  • What really grinds my gears about this is I feel I am the only one that is doing this! Everyone else is just taking their time, strolling along singing their song, side by side, not 6 feet apart!
  • I am tired of having to wait in lines to get into places because of people like this.
  • If I could call ahead and have my order ready I would but that seems to be a feat in and of itself, I tried the Walmart thing once and got quarter of the items I had put in a cart and I had to wait 5 days to go get it!
  • Speaking of Walmart, I will never go back there again, even when this is all said and done, even with them being a mile and a half down the road, it is NOT worth it anymore, my local grocer and hardware store will continue to get my business.
And to hit the point of Amazon. A few weeks ago, I order something, then a day later I ordered another item, and again a day later ordered another item. The first item was scheduled to come before the other (I feel like that is common sense but wait….) and so on and so forth. I wait, nothing comes, I wait the next day, nothing comes, and then I wait three more days because the last item I ordered was slated for a week after the first two. Every day, an Amazon truck passed my house, nothing till the day the final item was do, and there is a big box with everything in it…. No notice from Amazon that the first two items were to be delayed because they wanted to lump sum my items! Then I ordered a few more things last week to complete projects on the 4Runner and Lexus. One item was supposed to be due Monday. No show, Tuesday, notification it may be a day late (fine considering the current status of the world), wed nothing, finally Thursday they give me another notification “your item may have been lost” and they give me a button to either refund or reorder free of charge. Considering I need it, I hit the button which brings me to a page that says “sometimes our orders run a little later then scheduled, please wait till Thursday and if nothing has arrived come back and hit the link again to reorder” mind you, IT IS THURSDAY when I hit the link! Why even give me the option? So finally this morning I hit it again and reorder, then I get a notification “Your item will arrive today by 6pm.” ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! if you had it in stock at the warehouse (which according to the tracking information they did….) why didn’t you just send another one out and have it arrive!?!?!

Due to those two recent wrinkles in my experience with amazon, I have decided not to try to press my luck with their online food order stuff.

My husband still is working every day, and I worry, because 90% of the people I see out and about can not wear a mask correctly. As one person said on Facebook “Not wearing your mask over your nose is like putting a condom on your balls only….” And I understand, people who wear glasses it tends to fog them up, but the people I am talking about ARER’T WEARING GLASSES!!!! And the amount of gloves getting left over all the parking lots just is the cherry on top of the ridiculousness of what is going on!

My last gripe is being stuck at home. Its nice when I can do projects but then sucks when I can’t or its raining. I could still go to work when it is raining…

I want to work.
I want to earn my paycheck.

The idea of having to collect unemployment makes me feel like a failure.
Trust me, if I could find a job that pays anywhere close to what I was making in the field I work in (automotive technician) I would have taken it.

But there isn’t.

I would even do side work, but there are already a million adds on Facebook market place and craigslist of techs looking for work, there are at least 5 alone in my neighborhood!

It’s not worth the fight, even with the clientele around here that are supper sue happy… (you know the ones, ever since….)

Thankfully with all the current perks, the unemployment I do receive is enough to get by without dipping into my savings or project funds that I have worked hard to put aside.

But I still don’t like it.

And to top it off, people make comment about people like me on unemployment wanting to milk it for all its worth.

I don’t.
I want to work.
I hate that I get categorized into that group.
Just makes me feel like more of a failure...

And its not even in my control!

I miss my family, I miss my friends, I miss my co-workers (shocking I know). I miss my day to day life of waking up and feeling I have a sense of purpose in the world….

I worry
I am an over thinker

I’m just done....

Sorry for the long winded post, and if it is inappropriate, message me and I will remove it. I just needed to vent an appreciate those who have read this and those who can understand. Ugh just reading this makes me sound like a 'typical' millennial....

Rant time for Avi….

Crew, I need to get some things off my chest considering the current situation. Think after reading Chris’s dealings with Amazon I have finally boiled over myself…

I have about had it with the occupants of the Dover area. I have done as much as I can to not have to go out shopping, and when I do, I have a sense of purpose. I go. I know what I need I hit the isles I have to, and I grab what I can and keep moving to limit my time out in public as much as possible.
  • What really grinds my gears about this is I feel I am the only one that is doing this! Everyone else is just taking their time, strolling along singing their song, side by side, not 6 feet apart!
  • I am tired of having to wait in lines to get into places because of people like this.
  • If I could call ahead and have my order ready I would but that seems to be a feat in and of itself, I tried the Walmart thing once and got quarter of the items I had put in a cart and I had to wait 5 days to go get it!
  • Speaking of Walmart, I will never go back there again, even when this is all said and done, even with them being a mile and a half down the road, it is NOT worth it anymore, my local grocer and hardware store will continue to get my business.
And to hit the point of Amazon. A few weeks ago, I order something, then a day later I ordered another item, and again a day later ordered another item. The first item was scheduled to come before the other (I feel like that is common sense but wait….) and so on and so forth. I wait, nothing comes, I wait the next day, nothing comes, and then I wait three more days because the last item I ordered was slated for a week after the first two. Every day, an Amazon truck passed my house, nothing till the day the final item was do, and there is a big box with everything in it…. No notice from Amazon that the first two items were to be delayed because they wanted to lump sum my items! Then I ordered a few more things last week to complete projects on the 4Runner and Lexus. One item was supposed to be due Monday. No show, Tuesday, notification it may be a day late (fine considering the current status of the world), wed nothing, finally Thursday they give me another notification “your item may have been lost” and they give me a button to either refund or reorder free of charge. Considering I need it, I hit the button which brings me to a page that says “sometimes our orders run a little later then scheduled, please wait till Thursday and if nothing has arrived come back and hit the link again to reorder” mind you, IT IS THURSDAY when I hit the link! Why even give me the option? So finally this morning I hit it again and reorder, then I get a notification “Your item will arrive today by 6pm.” ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! if you had it in stock at the warehouse (which according to the tracking information they did….) why didn’t you just send another one out and have it arrive!?!?!

Due to those two recent wrinkles in my experience with amazon, I have decided not to try to press my luck with their online food order stuff.

My husband still is working every day, and I worry, because 90% of the people I see out and about can not wear a mask correctly. As one person said on Facebook “Not wearing your mask over your nose is like putting a condom on your balls only….” And I understand, people who wear glasses it tends to fog them up, but the people I am talking about ARER’T WEARING GLASSES!!!! And the amount of gloves getting left over all the parking lots just is the cherry on top of the ridiculousness of what is going on!

My last gripe is being stuck at home. Its nice when I can do projects but then sucks when I can’t or its raining. I could still go to work when it is raining…

I want to work.
I want to earn my paycheck.

The idea of having to collect unemployment makes me feel like a failure.
Trust me, if I could find a job that pays anywhere close to what I was making in the field I work in (automotive technician) I would have taken it.

But there isn’t.

I would even do side work, but there are already a million adds on Facebook market place and craigslist of techs looking for work, there are at least 5 alone in my neighborhood!

It’s not worth the fight, even with the clientele around here that are supper sue happy… (you know the ones, ever since….)

Thankfully with all the current perks, the unemployment I do receive is enough to get by without dipping into my savings or project funds that I have worked hard to put aside.

But I still don’t like it.

And to top it off, people make comment about people like me on unemployment wanting to milk it for all its worth.

I don’t.
I want to work.
I hate that I get categorized into that group.
Just makes me feel like more of a failure...

And its not even in my control!

I miss my family, I miss my friends, I miss my co-workers (shocking I know). I miss my day to day life of waking up and feeling I have a sense of purpose in the world….

I worry
I am an over thinker

I’m just done....

Sorry for the long winded post, and if it is inappropriate, message me and I will remove it. I just needed to vent an appreciate those who have read this and those who can understand. Ugh just reading this makes me sound like a 'typical' millennial....

Frankly, to address the final point (as a fellow millennial), I’d say the desire to get back to work and earn a paycheck in a career you built for yourself makes you sound like an ATYPICAL millennial (according to the “common wisdom” definition).

Second - could not agree more with most of what you’ve said. I get so peeved when I go to Walmart and see a family with all 3 of their (maskless) kids running around. There’s no reason both parents and all the kids needed to go shopping. Send one person. I don’t care where you fall on the panic spectrum as far as how bad you think Covid-19 is. Why add insult to injury and put your own family and everyone else at risk to “get the kids out of the house.”

As for amazon - I’m having the same issues - “it’s arriving in two weeks...JUST KIDDING, it’s arriving to day...JUST KIDDING... it’ll be there in 3 days (then it shows up the next day). I think they’re prioritizing “necessities” and everything else is just “you get it when you get it.”

That said, one thing I will say is I’m not willing to give up all my free time! I’m getting a lot of long delayed projects checked off because I no longer have a social life. We are super family centric and used to spend a day almost every weekend with one of our parents, or my brothers or Rachel’s sister. That, and a toddler, made getting anything done on the weekend impossible. I’ve traded my social life for productivity and so far it has been of huge benefit. I’m substantially less stressed because I’m getting a lot of backlogged projects checked off. Soon I might even get back to the Land Cruiser!

Last edited:
Rant time for Avi….

I feel your frustrations, along with billions of other people do. This is all new to me as it is to other Americans and others around the world. We live in a 'fast food' country where we want everything now. I feel bad I can't talk to my students to keep them from imploding. I talk to my 80 year old father and remind him how to stay safe. People are imperfect in uncertain times. I thank the pizza shop for not shutting down. The supermarket cashiers for being brave and dealing with thousands of people a shift. They deserve it. Imagine the pressure they are under. I have always been a patient person and realize this will slowly get better and eventually end. Will it at the speed I want, no. I am lucky to be paid as I am under contract. But a year 1/2 ago I was on unemployment , on SNAP and public assistance because it was just the way it was. I couldn't buy what I wanted but I got through it. Just take a breath, lean on family for guidance, reach out for help and talk to someone you know will listen. It will be over. You're alive and own a Toyota! That's doing pretty good in my book. :)

@TheDeliverator and for everyone ... I spoke to some vendors yesterday and here is what I have learned.

US Foods - (Reading, PA) No personal sales
Sysco - selling to individuals and pickup is on Tuesdays at their local warehouse (Our Locations)
John Gross Foods - cash and carry is still open at their location in Harrisburg
Saval Foods - (Elkridge, MD) They have opened an online portal for personal orders (https://www.mysaval.store)

Also, my two main vendors both confirmed to me that the meat shortages are very real and will be hitting consumer markets in ~2 weeks. They have been getting back their orders from the processors this week with zero'd out items or no orders shipped at all. Both warned me of steep price increases in coming weeks as more restaurants come back online only to realize there may be product shortages. I'm not sure if the shortage will last or not, but industry never seems to waste a crisis as a means of increasing prices. I suppose keeping an eye on the news about if these processing plants continue to be Covid hot spots even after they implement precautions will be the deciding factor.

My wife read on FB that Restaurant Depot was opening up to consumers too. I didn't see it on their website though so maybe call in before heading there.

@TheDeliverator and for everyone ... I spoke to some vendors yesterday and here is what I have learned.

US Foods - (Reading, PA) No personal sales
Sysco - selling to individuals and pickup is on Tuesdays at their local warehouse (Our Locations)
John Gross Foods - cash and carry is still open at their location in Harrisburg
Saval Foods - (Elkridge, MD) They have opened an online portal for personal orders (https://www.mysaval.store)

Also, my two main vendors both confirmed to me that the meat shortages are very real and will be hitting consumer markets in ~2 weeks. They have been getting back their orders from the processors this week with zero'd out items or no orders shipped at all. Both warned me of steep price increases in coming weeks as more restaurants come back online only to realize there may be product shortages. I'm not sure if the shortage will last or not, but industry never seems to waste a crisis as a means of increasing prices. I suppose keeping an eye on the news about if these processing plants continue to be Covid hot spots even after they implement precautions will be the deciding factor.

Thank you for the info.

Got a text from one of the employees today that a customer (woman in her late 40s) came in with no mask and declared that she has a note from her Doctor stating that she "doesn't have to wear a mask". We asked her to leave and she refused to go without getting her food.

She paid by CC and we were able to track her down on FB (Pro Tip - pay cash if you are going to be a jackwagon). Now it seems, I have to deal with the people who are going to exercise their "freedom" or "rights" by putting my staff or other patrons at risk. Seriously, we all follow the No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service guidelines ... even at the beach at the majority of restaurants. How is wearing a mask right now any different?

Hoping this doesn't blow up into a huge thing, but who knows. For fun ... here was the staff only event at the Red Lobster in East York on Mother's day.

vid deleted for language ... you can search it on YouTube

Last edited:
At the grocery store in Pottsville yesterday all meat racks were full, great selection beef, pork, sausage, checken. No toilet paper or tissues but other than that things looked normal.

Still a TP and Paper towel shortage near me. I had to start a week ahead and pick it up when stock was available.

My wife commented to me yesterday about how many people are going to be stocking 2+ months of TP going forward. Kind of like the old timers who lived through the depression never threw anything away....ever.

Actually didn’t have too much trouble getting food today. Shockingly, paper products were low, but present! I couldn’t find chicken breasts, but there was a decent supply of red meat. Oddly enough, the canned soup aisle had been hit hard again. Couldn’t find French onion soup to cheat at making jambalaya. White rice was also MIA. Otherwise, got everything in the list.

[REDACTED]

Last edited:
Being stuck at home is working for me. In the last two months, lost 20 lbs, not even trying. Who knew cutting out all fast food, Wawa, eating out, etc would do that to you?

For fun ... here was the staff only event at the Red Lobster in East York on Mother's day.

So, I'm not entirely clear here, maybe I'm dense.

Is the Red Lobster footage YOUR place, or just an example of idiocy?

Being stuck at home is working for me. In the last two months, lost 20 lbs, not even trying. Who knew cutting out all fast food, Wawa, eating out, etc would do that to you?

I found your 20lbs dude - you want them back? I've been sitting at a desk working from home, drinking lots of beer, and learning how to bake sourdough bread.

So, I'm not entirely clear here, maybe I'm dense.

Is the Red Lobster footage YOUR place, or just an example of idiocy?

Idiocy.

That is NOT my restaurant, that was the York, PA Red Lobster that is 1.3 miles from my place. Also in the same parking lot as the Red Lobster is the 'Round the Clock Diner - East. They are the first restaurant to open their seating area to the public in defiance of the Governor's policy. Seems the owner may have an in at the York County DA's office since the DA has chosen not to fine them or shut them down and instructed local police not to cite them either.

I'm concerned that since places are starting to just decide to open and not follow the guidelines it may become a free for all ... people will just decide to do whatever they want regardless of the consequences it may have for others around them.

Idiocy.

That is NOT my restaurant, that was the York, PA Red Lobster that is 1.3 miles from my place. Also in the same parking lot as the Red Lobster is the 'Round the Clock Diner - East. They are the first restaurant to open their seating area to the public in defiance of the Governor's policy. Seems the owner may have an in at the York County DA's office since the DA has chosen not to fine them or shut them down and instructed local police not to cite them either.

I'm concerned that since places are starting to just decide to open and not follow the guidelines it may become a free for all ... people will just decide to do whatever they want regardless of the consequences it may have for others around them.

The key to understanding the wisdom of this decision will become evident in 2-3 weeks when the virus, if any, has a chance to come out of hiding.

Cass,

You may wish to educate yourself as to exactly what is transpiring in York County... both in the Sheriff’s office and also the DA’s office. Both have issued public statements, letters, etc. Do you know Themi Sacarellos? What are his ties to the DA’s and sheriffs offices?

Other PA counties and municipalities are doing the same. Berks County (especially one attorney, who has written extensively on the subject) is also considering the options to defy the order and open.

In the non-profit world in which I live, we have prepared to close the doors through September at this point. Our lay-off letter goes out this week to 75 amazing and faithful employees who care for those with disabilities. The directives coming from the Governor’s office (and our advocacy group in Harrisburg) are indicating it may be longer. Are you prepared to stay closed through the end of the year?

Choose wisely...

Idiocy.

@BROKEROB1 ... I did attempt to educate myself on the situation. Checking news reports and newspaper articles on Monday about the opening. I do not know Themi personally. I was supposing that someone with his influence and real estate holdings locally would not, especially if consulting his attorney, just make a snap decision to open without first getting a feeler out to the DA's office to check on possible enforcement or fines. I will not make that supposition again. You are correct, I should not speak on what I do not know.

I am surprised to see that other diners or full service restaurants have not followed suit and opened as well. Once it's seen that there is no enforcement, can't anyone open any business?

We closed for 2 weeks, then opened following the guidelines and making ~40% of normal revenue. Many of my staff are on full or partial unemployment as well. Our store looks like it's in a 3rd world country right now, tables pushed aside, chairs stacked up, cold cases empty and unplugged, limited staff, limited hours and limited menu. It's not great by any stretch and I'm really not sure if we will survive long term.

I can fully respect every person's frustration and stress if they are not able to earn a living and provide for themselves and families. I know that stress and frustration is amplified greatly if you are the business owner. I just thought following the rules on this was important, but that is just MY opinion and I am not a healthcare professional nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

I wish all of us to get through this as quickly and safely as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom