Builds Sentimental Restoration of Family 1990 FJ62 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Holding up on the flush on the cooling system while I research replacing with the Mishimoto MMRAD-LCR-81X radiator. Seeing that old radiator bottom makes me a bit nervous. It may be a good time to replace it.

EDIT: Not an easy radiator to find currently. I have one coming from Summit Racing for installation at end of week.

Last edited:
Good news on the ARB front bumper. The last one (that was damaged) came from a vendor to the local shop...and I bet it was an open box that was already damaged. Just guessing.

The next one was secured and shipped directly from ARB in Seattle. It arrived significantly better packed and without damage. It is scheduled for install next week.

First we have to get the Mishimoto radiator here and installed (late this week). It will definitely be pressure tested before installation. I talked to Mishimoto about this with regards to warranty issues, etc.. They said that will definitely catch manufacturing problem or shipping damage caused problem. I will have my guys pressure test it and document the results in the paperwork.

The fellow at Mishimoto also said it is important that we as owners register the product with them. I know I'm pretty lazy about doing such things. I will stay on it for this.

FYI, I do plan to use the Mishimoto's integral transcooler along with the newly installed B&M 70268. As I've mentioned, I'll also be using full Toyota Red mixed with distilled water, and a new OEM t-stat and gaskets.

Last edited:
I installed the four new sealed beam headlights this afternoon. I measured before and after output with a light meter (a tool from my work). The new resulted in about a 20% increase in output and more consistency. That's nice to know, but not a dramatic improvement to our visual perception. For the record...low beams are 1200 foot-candles, high units are 3800 foot-candles. Both measured flush with the front of the logo at lens center. One thing I did notice was a significantly different lens design in the low beam 4656 units (old Sylvania vs new Sylvania). I'll have to test drive in darkness soon.

Powered subwoofer came today, but I didn't have the time to pursue the electrical necessities of power today. Hefty little beast, though.

Last edited:
Mishimoto radiator work begins now. We've all experienced the nightmares that shipping carriers impose on us. With so many such stories here about radiators, I went with the extra expense of 2nd day air so as to minimize the opportunities to handle the heavy package. It was only coming from the DFW area (although through Lexington, too), so it wasn't a major blow, but it adds up. Ouch...but with these in apparently short supply everywhere, I think receiving it damaged would have hurt more.

Package arrived in good shape. The type of cardboard packing is pretty good, although as heavy as such an item is, it doesn't take a high drop to ding it. This one did get dropped but it was a fairly minor impact imprint on the interior cardboard packing. We will pressure test, though, just to be sure all is well.

So far no significant problems with installation of the Mishimoto radiator. We did have to mod the bottom attachment point for the fan shroud on each side because they were in conflict with the lower radiator attachment brackets of the vehicle. See photo. I'm pointing where we had to cut off the back of that shroud attachment.

Pressure test good.

Hmm, didn't run into that fitment issue on mine. Maybe your rad mount brackets were switched to opposite sides(?).

I did have issue with the trans cooler lines seating into the Mishimoto. I had to remove the fixed washer on the OEM trans line fitting to get it to thread in far enough...and had to wrap with plenty of thread tape.

I didn’t have that issue either. The good news is it’s in with a relatively minor mod. It looks right at home in there!

Hmm, didn't run into that fitment issue on mine. Maybe your rad mount brackets were switched to opposite sides(?).

I did have issue with the trans cooler lines seating into the Mishimoto. I had to remove the fixed washer on the OEM trans line fitting to get it to thread in far enough...and had to wrap with plenty of thread tape.

...and @BlackCat

Good eye. That does look like if the two vehicle brackets switched sides that there would be room for that shroud attachment point. Maybe in past radiator replacements, the brackets got swapped. We'll R&D that this morning. Thank you for the tip on the transcooler fittings.

Last edited:
...and @BlackCat

Good eye. That does look like if the two vehicle brackets switched sides that there would be room for that shroud attachment point. Maybe in past radiator replacements, the brackets got swapped. We'll R&D that this morning. Thank you for the tip on the transcooler fittings.

Something is a little different in my vehicle for some reason. The brackets would not affect a change to the "problem." Fan shroud fitment took a bit of massaging to get it on properly. It does have a bit too much gap between the front of the shroud and the back of the radiator (maybe 3/16" or slightly more). I'll use metal furnace tape to seal up that gap all along the radiator/shroud seam.

All that remains is flushing out the system (block and heater cores) and refilling with Toyota Red and distilled water.

Next up later today and early tomorrow is the exhaust and header wrapping, subwoofer power runs, and troubleshooting/restoring cruise control. I'll then install the grille and headlight bezels and head for the front ARB bumper installation.

Looks great!

Thank you. I thought I spotted you Sunday up on my part of the area. It was a red 60, but it was not you. It had a sticker on the left cargo window. It looks like yours does not.

Completion........bwaahhhahahahhahahahah 🤣

Until something requires attention...like the front knuckles, and who know what else will rear it's head to laugh at me.

Thank you. I thought I spotted you Sunday up on my part of the area. It was a red 60, but it was not you. It had a sticker on the left cargo window. It looks like yours does not.

Until something requires attention...like the front knuckles, and who know what else will rear it's head to laugh at me.
It probably was me. The gf and I were at Tanque Verde falls on Sunday. I have a metal tech sticker on the left rear cargo window that I need to take off. I just got my Boss airbags, so it won’t have the saggy bottom anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom