1990 FJ62 running pig rich (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off let me contextualize what I mean by pig rich.

Full tank of gas extinguished in 63 miles. So ~ 2.7 mpg.

That kind of rich.

I have tested and replaced most of the usual suspects: TPS, coolant temp sensor, AFM, fuel injectors, FPR and damper, fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition components, idle air control, cold start injector....

No I will describe the symptoms:

Difficult long crank cold starts. Three crank warm starts. High idle with a coughing erratic black smoke put put put rhythm. Black smoke under load, though the nvh subsides and the truck almost feels normal. Surges when coasting.

One observation: these symptoms began months ago. Truck was running and driving okay with exception of high idle with a hint of vibration. Then while driving on the interstate there was a large thud/bang and the CEL illuminated. Pulled over and the truck was running rich. Shut it down and pulled the EFI fuse for ten minutes. Re-started and it was fine. Over time though this condition became more and more frequent. Now it just is.

Another detail: the CEL does not illuminate when I turn the key to ON. Does illuminate during the cranking process and remains on while the engine is running. Cannot under and circumstance get the diagnostic port to provide codes. Jumpers do nothing.

I have visually checked all grounds and the ECM itself. All looks right and tight. Yes I will do voltage checks in the coming days.

My question: What controls the injector timing and pulse widths? Basically the ECM is telling the fuel system to provide max fueling at all times.

I am thinking this is a wiring issue or the ECM itself. Feedback welcome before I drop $500+ on used components.

First off let me contextualize what I mean by pig rich.

Full tank of gas extinguished in 63 miles. So ~ 2.7 mpg.

That kind of rich.

I have tested and replaced most of the usual suspects: TPS, coolant temp sensor, AFM, fuel injectors, FPR and damper, fuel filter, fuel pump, ignition components, idle air control, cold start injector....

No I will describe the symptoms:

Difficult long crank cold starts. Three crank warm starts. High idle with a coughing erratic black smoke put put put rhythm. Black smoke under load, though the nvh subsides and the truck almost feels normal. Surges when coasting.

One observation: these symptoms began months ago. Truck was running and driving okay with exception of high idle with a hint of vibration. Then while driving on the interstate there was a large thud/bang and the CEL illuminated. Pulled over and the truck was running rich. Shut it down and pulled the EFI fuse for ten minutes. Re-started and it was fine. Over time though this condition became more and more frequent. Now it just is.

Another detail: the CEL does not illuminate when I turn the key to ON. Does illuminate during the cranking process and remains on while the engine is running. Cannot under and circumstance get the diagnostic port to provide codes. Jumpers do nothing.

I have visually checked all grounds and the ECM itself. All looks right and tight. Yes I will do voltage checks in the coming days.

My question: What controls the injector timing and pulse widths? Basically the ECM is telling the fuel system to provide max fueling at all times.

I am thinking this is a wiring issue or the ECM itself. Feedback welcome before I drop $500+ on used components.
2.7 MPG is officially the mud record

I salute you!

How do you know that it is running rich? Everything you’ve described could also be from un burned fuel from a lean condition. You can’t tell rich/lean without a AFR gauge.

AFR below 10:1
Spark plugs fouled and soaked in gasoline

I wish I could see the injector duty cycle. It just seems that the computer detects a wide open throttle condition at all times.

I believed changing the AFM and calibrating the TPS would make a difference.

Diagnostic port being completely unresponsive is driving me nuts. Maybe it is the ECM.

I’ll get the voltage meter on it this weekend.

In the meantime if anyone else has experienced something like this I appreciate the feedback.

I’m assuming you have the FSM? I’d hazard a guess as something in the fuel/air circuit shorted to ground or as you mentioned, failed ECU.

The thud/bang is perplexing and concerning though.

I have a spare, known good ECU you are welcome to borrow if I get it back.

@cruisermatt
Supporting vendor indeed ! Thank you for the offer. I am going to be a responsible beneficiary and spend some time this weekend with a multi meter. Get some additional data. I’ll pm you if I need the ecm.

Dug out the wiring harness.

When I replaced the injectors I noticed that cylinders 1,2,3 had red connectors whereas cylinders 4,5,6 had light grey. Turns out the harness has been hacked and repaired and spliced. So we’re definitely onto something…

@cruisermatt
Supporting vendor indeed ! Thank you for the offer. I am going to be a responsible beneficiary and spend some time this weekend with a multi meter. Get some additional data. I’ll pm you if I need the ecm.

Dug out the wiring harness.

When I replaced the injectors I noticed that cylinders 1,2,3 had red connectors whereas cylinders 4,5,6 had light grey. Turns out the harness has been hacked and repaired and spliced. So we’re definitely onto something…

For what it’s worth I don’t think it’s the ECM.

Update
My starting point for this issue is that the CEL does not illuminate when the key is in the ON position. I consulted the FSM and jumped the W terminal to the body. Still no CEL. The FSM logic flow does not give me an option for what to do next. Just says repair or replace the wiring for the CEL bulb.

However

The CEL does work. It will illuminate during the cranking process; cold starts require extended periods of cranking. Warm starts are fine. Also the CEL stays illuminated while the truck is running.

I have gone through so so so many threads and have not found any that have my exact set of circumstances:

No CEL when key is in ON position
CEL illuminates during cranking process
Engine fires and runs poorly
CEL stays illuminated while running
Diagnostic mode not functioning

So far I have changed/repaired/tested the following:

Fuel tank
Fuel pump
Fuel injectors
FPR
Fuel damper
COR
EFI main relay
Fusible links
Grounds
VAF/AFM
TPS
CSI
CSI timer switch
Coolant temp sensor
ISC valve
EGR system
O2 sensors
Timing/distributor/wires
Spark plugs
Valve adjustment
Compression test (all cylinders over 150; 6 psi delta between high and low)
Installed a good condition wiring harness

I am defeated.

Does anyone have insight into the CEL condition? Most threads that mention no CEL with the key in the ON position are crank/no-start situations.
I have a no CEL with key in the ON position, then CEL illuminates after 7 or 8 cranks , truck fires up around crank number 20. Runs horrible.
The FSM does not give troubleshooting advice for this situation.
If anyone can help me better understand the EFI system logic. Why after 7 or 8 cranks it finds the system conditions satisfactory for starting. Thanks

Uodate
Problem solved
Thanks to @cruisermatt for lending/selling me a spare ecm

Turns out my ECM was faulty.

Capacitor degradation is a thing.
You're exactly right, and after 34+ at the minimum, its likelihood increases more and more.

Assuming you've replaced your faulty unit by now, do you by any chance still have the bad one? I'd be curious to get my hands on a spare to experiment with and see if recapping is a service I could/should offer too.

After all I went through
And all the money and effort we spend on preventatives and maintenance
Yes
I would pay for a service that reconditions ecm’s
I’ll PM you about my spare
@cruisermatt sold me a working ecm but that one of course is old as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom