Cheap Mucken Door Stops! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Okay were getting further along with the body work on my FJ, however I've run into a problem. The door stop hinge is out of the door and unfortunatly there is too much threashold (inside) metal damage to replace the stupid thing. Plus if a good gust of wind catches the door the hinge (stopper) will rip out of the doog again.

I'm thinking about fabricating a device that will function similar to a door stop, but I have no idea where to begin. I was think about using a thin guage braded wire to go into the door and then attach to the frame. Has anyone accomplished somthing similar w/o the ghetto look?

Please let me know.

UNO_RACING said:
I'm thinking about fabricating a device that will function similar to a door stop, but I have no idea where to begin. I was think about using a thin guage braded wire to go into the door and then attach to the frame. Has anyone accomplished somthing similar w/o the ghetto look?
I don't think this would retract when the door is closed, if that matters.

We used short lengths of seatbelt with metal riveted over the ends to protect our truck door up in the Alutians.

My brother had a '76 Ford Bronco and it just had what amounted to the footman loops that are used on the spft tops to hold them down to the sides of the truck with flat webbing straps sewn to them to keep the doors from opening too wide. There was one "loop" on the inside edge of the door and one on the inside edge of the kick panel. That should work fine for you...

Look here:

http://www.broncoparts.com/viewcatalog.php3

And the part number for the strap is 23574-B, I don't see the metal footman loops, but you may find them at another site.

HTH!

Jeep has some nylon door stop straps that would work. Get a piece of roundbar 3/8" dia and bend an "L" out of it. Make a pair. Weld one set to the door, one set to the tub where the limiter would go. Install the door strap. Worked pissah on my TJ. If mine break off, thats certainly what I will do.

EDIT: What the guy above me said. :doh:

UNO, since you don't have rig ID in your sig line, I'm just gonna assume that we're talking about a 74 or older 40.

I have had several people that have had the limiter anchors tear out of their inner door skins. Difficult to weld back in place because they were originally brazed.:eek:

To get a better long term anchor [and completely avoid the booty fab] you can bend a sliightly heavier guage of metal to the shape of the door skin and tack it down over the door, increasing the surface area that the anchor has to pull on. Then I also fab my own anchors using plate washers that have been trimmed down to clear the closed door. Haven't had one of them pull out yet.

Hth

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom