92 FJ80 SHIFT LOCK CONTROL COMPUTER (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Guys,
Its me again working on a 92 FJ80 not the FZJ I guess or I would be alright. I pulled the shift lock control computer out and it is fried like the kernels in the bottom of a pop corn popper!!! I need Part number 85933-60010 and it has been discontinued. I don't want to by pass or override every time I go to put it in gear. This system works so good the have a manual override button installed right above the shifter.
Does anyone have a part that will work, used, or any idea what I can do, and why wouldn't the FZJ part#'s
8593360050 ; 8593333020; 8593333010 work???

Have you tried the classifieds? This is the tech forum.

Well to be fair he is asking a Tech question, even though he is putting feelers out for used part....

I assumed the shift lock computer was the same on all the 80 series, maybe the plug is different? That would be the first clue as to why they are not interchangeable. I have a working shift lock computer out of a wrecked 92, I could plug it into my 97 I will let you know if it works. IF the plugs are the same I will take the shift lock computer out of my 97 and plug it into my dads 91.... if that works ill post up the part numbers that I swapped. If you post in classifieds wanted section like Malleus suggests I might reply to you stating I have a shift lock computer out of a wrecked 92 that i would be willing to part with. :grinpimp:

IMAG0789.jpg
well I got the old C,SL unit and I started to take apart the center console on my 97 but it started to rain. I will update when I have time to do the swap. Of the two plugs I saw (there are three) they looked the same.

Well to be fair he is asking a Tech question, even though he is putting feelers out for used part....

I assumed the shift lock computer was the same on all the 80 series, maybe the plug is different? That would be the first clue as to why they are not interchangeable. I have a working shift lock computer out of a wrecked 92, I could plug it into my 97 I will let you know if it works. IF the plugs are the same I will take the shift lock computer out of my 97 and plug it into my dads 91.... if that works ill post up the part numbers that I swapped. If you post in classifieds wanted section like Malleus suggests I might reply to you stating I have a shift lock computer out of a wrecked 92 that i would be willing to part with. :grinpimp:

Thanks a ton, I will do that. I did find one in Dubai !!! think that's legit ???

I would check car-part.com for some random, common part on that year LC (since they only take the time to list the stuff that's likely to sell), then call the yards and ask for the specific part.

The override exists because toyota envisioned you using your 80 in places far from services. No machine or component thereof is infallible and Toyota knows that. You should send them a thank you note.

The Cruiser Fan from Potter County, Gods Country, will have the one pictured above on Monday.

Will be nice to know if they are interchangeable as that part is NLA here in the U.S.

A week ago I couldnt shift without the lock bypass. Still in the same state. Stoked it is so easy to bypass. I appreciate the little things. Been working on other stuff and have been meaning to figure it out, and didn't want to get flamed if I could find it myself. So there's an entire lock computer I now know about! Thank you brave soul. It also appears to affect my radio turning on so there's that. :clap:

A week ago I couldnt shift without the lock bypass. Still in the same state. Stoked it is so easy to bypass. I appreciate the little things. Been working on other stuff and have been meaning to figure it out, and didn't want to get flamed if I could find it myself. So there's an entire lock computer I now know about! Thank you brave soul. It also appears to affect my radio turning on so there's that. :clap:

That's really good to know, my radio also was messed up. I took out the fuse to the radio and it liked like molten lava !! I tried chasing wires by ripping out the dash panels and putting it on a lift to look under but couldn't find anything other than the shift control comp was literally fried, looked like soda or something close got on it as it had a molasses type secretion on it. When I put a working fuse back in the radio would pulse on and off and really make some weird noises. Pulled the SLCC and the radio was fine. My other electrical problem that hasn't changed is occasionally when I jerk the wheel and do a hard turn all my dash lights come on, is that its just missing Christmas or is there a solution to that !!??

That's really good to know, my radio also was messed up. I took out the fuse to the radio and it liked like molten lava !! I tried chasing wires by ripping out the dash panels and putting it on a lift to look under but couldn't find anything other than the shift control comp was literally fried, looked like soda or something close got on it as it had a molasses type secretion on it. When I put a working fuse back in the radio would pulse on and off and really make some weird noises. Pulled the SLCC and the radio was fine. My other electrical problem that hasn't changed is occasionally when I jerk the wheel and do a hard turn all my dash lights come on, is that its just missing Christmas or is there a solution to that !!??
Because the shift lock ECU lives under the center console, it is subject to all sorts of crap. Likely a cola spilled. Dried sugary drinks become conductive and can cause all sorts of problems.
When I pulled out my front seats and carpet for the first time, I discovered new life forms and collected about $2 in coins. It was fantastic.

so been busy but finally got around to checking this out, I will post pictures to hopefully help someone out in the future doing a search. the 1991 computer (85933-60010) will not swap with the 1997 computer (85933-60050). One of the plugs is indeed different.

IMAG0828.jpg
IMAG0829.jpg

As a bump to the thread, in case that this helps somebody in the future.

I recently worked on a 91 FJ80. It had the same problem. Shift interlock didn't work, only with override button.

I removed shift interlock module and opened it up.

After that, I found that the board had some traces burned up.

To be specific, the trace that goes into the green with red stripe wire on the board.

The trace was burned up from Transistor 1, all the way to the green/red stripe wire.

I scraped all the carbon I could, and cut the traces so remaining carbon wouldnt short the traces accidentally Fixed the trace with enamel wire, as well as another faulty trace just a little bit above that one that was also burned up (from one of the big resistors, passed under a small resistor, and ended up in another component)

When both traces were fixed, I gave a closer look to transistor 1 and found corroded legs on the transistor (C2003 NPN transistor)

I replaced that transistor with a donor one from a Toyota 4runner integration relay. It was a D667 NPN transistor (higher rating one, that's the closer one I got at the time, the rest were quite low specs compared to the C2003 transistor)

Plugged the thing up and surprise, shift interlock works again.

After a closer look, I'm still trying to understand what actually did burned the traces up.

I highly doubt the theory of liquid spillage, as it's very difficult for liquids to get in there. Specially because the module is in a hidden compartment under the center console.

Upon closer inspection to the board, I noticed that some traces, the conformal coating was peeling of from them (mainly traces surrounding the burned up ones), so I covered the bare traces with some clear nail polish to avoid corrosion.

Sorry, no photos to show the carnage nor the fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom