40-55-60-70-80-100 & 200 Roof Racks and Mounts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little 52" x 32" Bak Pak Rak for a customer. These are a great little rack for the back end of any cruiser or gutter style vehicle.

J

IMG_20170830_114153581.jpg

Preliminary drawings for the new 60 rack are about finished up. When I get some time (probably Xmas day) I'll run a couple of sides and a few crossbars. Get everything bent and see what everyone thinks.

No 80/20 aluminum extrusion in this rack!

It will be a put together kit. It's set up is with 8- 3" wide slotted crossbars and a front wind fairing as well. I'll have the "accessories" out in a few weeks as well.

J

60 TT RACK- SIDE PLATE.jpg

Preliminary drawings for the new 60 rack are about finished up. When I get some time (probably Xmas day) I'll run a couple of sides and a few crossbars. Get everything bent and see what everyone thinks.

No 80/20 aluminum extrusion in this rack!

It will be a put together kit. It's set up is with 8- 3" wide slotted crossbars and a front wind fairing as well. I'll have the "accessories" out in a few weeks as well.

J

View attachment 1593575

I'm liking this style more and more, so long as there is plenty of clearance to mount / dismount a tent without taking the rack apart.

I'm liking this style more and more, so long as there is plenty of clearance to mount / dismount a tent without taking the rack apart.

Just depends on the design. If the rack is a true lo-pro (1/2"-5/8" off the roof line, IMO)... It's a PITA no matter what the design and materials are. Proper placement of the slots is key. Ideally a rack will work with most tents with a little frustration to mount a tent, but since less than 5% of buyers have a RTT......You gotta pick your battles. GL.

J

Will there be a fairing offer for your classic style tube racks? :)

Will there be a fairing offer for your classic style tube racks? :)

Yes, I'll have them out at the same time. The older racks will need to be attached with rubber lined pipe clamps and the newer tube racks will have dedicated mounting moving forward.

J

Just depends on the design. If the rack is a true lo-pro (1/2"-5/8" off the roof line, IMO)... It's a PITA no matter what the design and materials are. Proper placement of the slots is key. Ideally a rack will work with most tents with a little frustration to mount a tent, but since less than 5% of buyers have a RTT......You gotta pick your battles. GL.

J

That's true, different strokes for different folks. Even with my simple creations, I haven't built a rack for myself that I'm completely satisfied with in that department. The lower it goes to roof, the more challenging it can be to mount anything permenant with the rack on. I like everything to be slim, low, and easy and all those don't line up often.

I should have all the info back on pricing in less than a week. I'm having billet cnc mount blocks being quoted now. These will be inset into the 1/4" side plates and then back welded. This one feature will eliminate 100-128 pieces of hardware that others use to attach their clamping/mounting systems.

Hoping for a shipped price range of 700-950.00 pending finish options.

Also I'm having the gutter clamp feet and threaded stems made from stainless. Its awesome having a machine shop a few units down. We bounce ideas off each other daily. It keeps my brain hopped up which is a good thing. He is also looking into titanium safety/theft fasteners for everything, but he's gonna have to have one helluva supplier to make that price effective. I looked and it was over 130.00 my cost... OUCH! 316 stainless came in around 26.00 and that included a tube of anti-seize.

A quick rundown on materials and features:

BARE ALUMINUM, POWDERCOAT & POSSIBLY HARD ANODIZING (still working on the vendor)

Side plates - 1/4"
Crossbars- 11ga x 4" wide
Fairing- 1/8"
Stainless hardware
Edge molding for all rack to body contact areas
Versa-tie down pucks option for straps, etc
Each cross bar will have a provision on each end to add a E-track strap
Slotted crossbars for complete adjustability for straps
Stainless hardware and gutter clamps
Adjustable wind faring (light bar option in the works)
Provisions to add rear and side lighting

Future accessories in the works:

3" side rail kit for the guys that want a basket rack
Propane bottle carrier
Upper coffin storage box
Hi-lift mount
Shovel/Axe mount
Jerry can carrier
Bottle opener
Boat/Kayak roller heads

Misc other items

All the prices are in, except for hard coat anodizing (this may be awhile).

A few updates here.

I added an additional crossbar (8 total) to make the open space between bars at 6.5". There is less than an 1/8" of deflection on the crossbar with my 261.3# (per this morning) standing in the center. I doubt anyone will ever have that much weight centered on one bar at one time, ever.. BUT, If they do... it'll handle it!

Fairing was increased from 1/8" to 3/16"

Total weight per the cut removal calcs on the table is 54.18#

Lead time will be approx 4 weeks for bare and 5 weeks for powdered.

Pricing:

Bare aluminum rack is 815.00 shipped to a business address to the lower 48. Add 25.00 for residential address.

Powder coating is 220.00 additional (quite a bit of area to blast and coat on these compared to a traditional round tube rack)

Aluminum track tie-down pucks w/ stainless rings (x4) 35.00 additional

I have 14 people on the interested list. Let me know who is still interested.

Jason

Looks like I have a new favorite rack design! Lots to like about this. Nice work!

Any plans to make one for the 100?

I dont want to over step, but yes he is exact timing TBD.

Yes, I have plans for the 100 and 200 alike. @Kmonty66 has my old Esme rig and I'll use it for prototyping in a few weeks once it comes back up for a front bumper and skidplates.

The 60 rack was test fit today and I'll have it finalized by the weekend.

Jason

IMG_20180111_095706129.jpg
IMG_20180111_095636703.jpg
IMG_20180111_095644506.jpg
IMG_20180111_095736851.jpg
IMG_20180111_095749380.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom