Builds Project Killer B - 1988 BJ73 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The flywheel housing does not necessarily add to drivetrain length. The flywheel is still bolted directly to the crank and the bellhousing is made shallower so that the distance between the rear of the block and the front of the transmission is the same as a bellhousing-only design.

Seems that you don't like the idea of cutting up a bellhousing for either of those two transmissions, so you're thinking you'll make a custom flat plate adapter, like the OM617 engines, to bolt to your H55/RC60F bellhousing to the engine?

The Nissan SD33T used in Patrols, Scouts, forklifts, Jeep airport tugs, boats and various other applications is of the same design since it was used in a wide variety of applications. Numerous "adapeter" plates came on that engine along with a lot of bellhousings so that a lot of different transmissions could be used with it. Smart engineering.

Cheers

How similar are the RA and RC series transmissions? I like that the RC have both 5th and 6th overdrive rather then the RA only having the one overdrive. The close-ratio lowers gears are nice though.

The RC is an evolution of the RA. Aisin fixed much of what ailed the RA, and that was enough to give it a new designation.

Neat. My dad has the RA in his 13 Tacoma and I've always thought it to be a great road transmission. Shifts awesome. The RC should be even better with the good low first and far better overdrive options..

Will be following closely!

Last edited:
IME, the RA shifts ok, and feels decent when the rubber damped shift lever is eliminated. However, th RC is said to be very nice. I need to try one.

Road and Track - Given how satisfying the Tacoma’s six-speed shifter is to use—well-defined gates, solid engagement, and reasonably tight throws for a unit with a nearly foot-long shift lever—we’d like to see it more widely available within the Tacoma family.

Steering! The W04C-T, like many Toyota Diesels, has a gear driven PS vane pump. Being an Aisin unit, it resembles many other pumps produced by the manufacturer. Vane depth grows to 16mm from the regular 15mm that most Land Cruisers have, so it can flow more to support a larger steering box. The matching box from an a Hino FB truck has been procured. It's a bit larger than the LC boxes, and is a push/pull unit, but It might be adaptable to the 70 chassis.

IMG_1408.JPG

True heavy duty rotors that fit under 15" wheels on 40/60/70 Series? Working on it. These are 306mm x 32mm, curved directional vanes, and of high carbon alloy. Hubs are high positive offset IFS mini truck units to work with the chosen wheels, but I may try to build something for the regular hubs if there is interest.
IMG_1413.JPG
IMG_1416.JPG

Last edited:
The Hino steering box has a sector shaft diameter of 40mm/1.57" at the splines above the pitman arm, and 42mm/1.65" where the shaft comes out of the box. Does anyone have the dimension from an 80 or the upgraded 105 shafts?

The Hino steering box has a sector shaft diameter of 40mm/1.57" at the splines above the pitman arm, and 42mm/1.65" where the shaft comes out of the box. Does anyone have the dimension from an 80 or the upgraded 105 shafts?

@GLTHFJ60 might still have his floating around.

Splines on the sector shaft are tapered. Looking for measurements where the sector shaft exits the box (above the splines) and then at the very top of the splines as well?

1.37" shaft diameter. The pitman arm is too close to the bottom of the box to get a second measurement.

IMG_20170807_205029.jpg

Once in a blue moon a part comes along that will work really well in an application for which it was never intended. That situation appears to be transpiring right now. For your viewing pleasure, via duct tape mock up, here is one excellently large HD air to air intercooler. Dare I say, it might be the best off the shelf unit available for the 70 Series. The core measures 21.65" (550mm) W x 17.5" (445mm) H x 2.60" (66mm) D. Inlet and outlet have an ID of 2.55" (65mm) and placement is near perfect.
IMG_1433.JPG
IMG_1434.JPG
IMG_1435.JPG

So this 3B engine... it's not going to be under the hood of my Cruiser much past late fall, maybe the holiday season. It's just too damn anemic, and I can't see spending the money to turbocharge it for such a short period. Is anyone interested in it? I may even let it go with the H55F and split case. Come drive em' before you buy em'.

With that out of the way, the W04C-T may also go up for sale. I had a nice in the flesh look at a 5.1L J05E Hino giant 4 cylinder engine from a 155/195 Chassis. I think it will squeeze in there. 210hp, 440tq... the electronics and emissions parts will be a challenge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom