Thoughts on my 2000 LX470 AHC removal... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ga12r1

The "triple locked" troll himself...
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.cruisersontherocks.com
My Lx is a 2000 with 170k miles. The ahc was operating fine but I'm planning a build for either Cruise Moab or 100s in the hills next year. I will be adding sliders, front bumper, rear bumper with swing out, roof rack, and a drawer system by next spring so I decided I wanted to step away from the ahc.
I decided on ome torsion bars, 860 rear springs, and iron man shocks. I had a set 860s I took out of my 80 just sitting around taking up space so I decided to use them for now. I know I will need to upgrade when I add the bumper and drawers. I got a smoking deal on a set of iron man gas shocks and decided to use them , I may upgrade those to pros at some point in the future.
I did all of the removal and install myself on my gravel driveway. I can honestly say it was one of the toughest and most frustrating things that I have ever done. It took 2 solid days. Like others have said a 12mm flex ratcheting wrench is a must. I believe it would be impossible without that. For my shocks I used GearWrench 891226 25 Piece 1/2-Inch Drive (30mm) Pass Thru Ratchet Set with Locking Flex-Head - Sockets - Amazon.com and it made the removal of the 22mm shock nuts a breeze. It's a really nice set. I found it made a lot of things easier and I can see it being used a ton in the future. I did struggle with the 2 nuts holding the ahc lines to the passenger rear shock though. I couldn't seem to get in the correct position for those. That was an exercise in pure frustration and patience. Removing all of the ahc lines was not too bad, just messy. While I was at it I replaced all of my sway bar bushings front and rear. I also replaced the front diff vertical bushing and mounting arm.
When I finally go it all back together the last bolt ruined my day. The drivers side torsion bar adjusting bolt somehow seized up in the anchor arm when I was starting to set my ride height. I tried everything to break it loose and it wasn't happening. I finally ended up grinding off the head of the bolt and then used a sawsall to cut the anchor in half to remove it. That was wild stuff to do on my back in the driveway. 2 days later the local dealer had a new bolt and anchor for me and I made sure I used a liberal amount of anti-seize this go round. No problems after that.
I am blown away by the feeling of solidness the truck has now. It's not as plush as it was but it is much more planted. The steering feels better, it corners better, even seems to brake better. Almost a feeling of invincibility:).
It was tough but so well worth it.

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

Dude! Love the SCS wheels!

That's a sweet looking LX man.

Thanks. I'm running a 295/75/16 KO2. I plan to go to a 285/75/17 Toyo Open Country MT on TRD Rock Warriors within the next month though. I would like to move to a taller skinnier tire on a wheel with more positive offset as part of the transition from daily driver to trail rig. I had originally picked up the RWs to use on my future 200 but have now decided to run them on the hundy. I am going to go with Tundra TRD Pro wheels on the 200. And I'm going to do something I never thought I would do. I'm going to sell my 80. The 100 will take her place as trail rig.

Clean.

That looks great. I'm about to do the same thing early next week. Originally I was planning on doing this in December, but December in Michigan just isn't fun.

Were you able to re-use the stock washers for the shocks? I keep seeing conflicting information about converting from AHC on the 470 to non-AHC and needing to order land cruiser washers.

That looks great. I'm about to do the same thing early next week. Originally I was planning on doing this in December, but December in Michigan just isn't fun.

Were you able to re-use the stock washers for the shocks? I keep seeing conflicting information about converting from AHC on the 470 to non-AHC and needing to order land cruiser washers.
I just used the washers and bushing that were supplied with the Iron Man shocks. All seems great. Nice and tight. Solid. I love it.

I'd be very interested in buying those SCS wheels when you're ready! Let me know if they're for sale
Sure thing. I'm getting closer, I ordered the spacers I will need for the RWs from Slee today.

Sounds good. I live in Austin so I don't think shipping would be that bad. I've been considering buying those SCS, they look awesome.
I am also considering ripping my AHC out for the Iron Man Pro Foams. Which ones did you get? Hows the ride compared to AHC when it worked well?

Once you do a AHC delete in lieu of a good standard suspension lift- you'll never want to go back.

Sell the bits and pieces on eBay to recoup the money for your lift. :cheers:

I'm in Austin as well and a new owner of a 98 LX. AHC works well on mine currently, but based on another thread, the AHC fluid is becoming scarce. I had figured that once my AHC went on the fritz, I'd do the swap. However, the idea of stripping the AHC components and selling them to recoup cost of the transition is certainly an interesting consideration.

I'm in Austin as well and a new owner of a 98 LX. AHC works well on mine currently, but based on another thread, the AHC fluid is becoming scarce. I had figured that once my AHC went on the fritz, I'd do the swap. However, the idea of stripping the AHC components and selling them to recoup cost of the transition is certainly an interesting consideration.

Well, sorta - they changed part numbers. The previous 2.5L container might be hard to find at this point, the 1L container is the replacement. No idea on its availability, I haven't looked yet.

Well, sorta - they changed part numbers. The previous 2.5L container might be hard to find at this point, the 1L container is the replacement. No idea on its availability, I haven't looked yet.

Thanks Planomateo! I called my Toyota dealer here in Austin a few minutes ago and they said they have the original 2.5L in stock. I really like the AHC, but making sure I have a contingency plan for when it fails......or, I armor up the LX and exceed the AHC specs :)

Sounds good. I live in Austin so I don't think shipping would be that bad. I've been considering buying those SCS, they look awesome.
I am also considering ripping my AHC out for the Iron Man Pro Foams. Which ones did you get? Hows the ride compared to AHC when it worked well?
I have the Iron Man Nitro gas shocks. I bought them last year as part of a black friday sale. At that point i didn't plan to add front and rear bumpers to my 100, nor wheel it. Next year I may swap them out for the faom pros but I am impressed with the gas shocks so far.

If i could do anything different it would be to not wait as long as I did to remove the AHC. Dont get me wrong, I think AHC is awesome for what it was designed for, a 100 running factory tires at factory ride height. I was very impressed by how robust the system was when i started taking it apart. Very well designed. When we start doing sensor lifts and adding larger tires we take the AHC out of its design element though. I could tell from the first drive the improvement the added down travel of the Iron man shocks vs the AHC shocks/pistons made. The lack of down travel of the AHC becomes an issue when doing a sensor lift, that's why some add an extension to the AHC shocks. This helps get them back in spec travel wise, sort of adding down travel (while perhaps limiting upward travel but I've never heard of this being an issue). I thought about the AHC extensions/spacers for awhile but decided against because i felt it was a band aid mod just trying to get the AHC closer do its design range. But again i think AHC is great if you aren't trying for too much lift via the sensors. I should also note that I am running SPC UCAs and im pushing the the limit of acceptable droop. I feel in my application a non-ahc setup is best.

All of that being said I love the way the truck feels now. Its definitely stiffer at times, but it actually seems to absorb larger bumps better, especially at slower speeds. I like the stiffness though, its more planted, more precise. My first two tanks of gas since the changeover I've actually seen a decrease in MPG! I realize its because Im driving the truck harder now. Its more fun, Im not taking it easy because of AHC limitations, and it actually just feels that much more solid. Its so solid cornering on the Hwy now, and so solid when I take large low speed bumps and transitions. I know i keep using that word "solid" when i post to describe it, but that's how it feels. I only wish I would have done it sooner. Its almost like driving a sports car now!

Last edited:
I agree and that's why I'm ripping it out. Loved it when it was working well but now I feel every bump on the road and want a lift anyways.
I think I'm going to buy the Ironman Kit with the springs, torsion bars, and the Nitro Gas shocks. I'm hoping this rides nice and I can't feel every bump like some report with the OME lift. I wish I could find those pro foams though! They're a month and a half out everywhere!

I posting here to prove to myself that it can be done.

I bought a 2000 LX this week and failed to really get under it and inspect everything. Truck may have 150k on the clock, but being from Maine, it looks like it has 500K on the underside. Rust EVERYWHERE. So bad that the passenger side sway bar stanchion is completely sheared off.

Would you mind PM'ing me a parts list for the swap you did so can i try to start sourcing components?
Mine is the same Black and Grey as yours, beautiful trucks!

I posting here to prove to myself that it can be done.

I bought a 2000 LX this week and failed to really get under it and inspect everything. Truck may have 150k on the clock, but being from Maine, it looks like it has 500K on the underside. Rust EVERYWHERE. So bad that the passenger side sway bar stanchion is completely sheared off.

Would you mind PM'ing me a parts list for the swap you did so can i try to start sourcing components?
Mine is the same Black and Grey as yours, beautiful trucks!
Here are the parts I used to replace the torsion bar adjusting bolt and anchor I had to cut out ..

48169-60010 Swivel Anchor, $41.85
90101-18010 Hex Bolt, $7.33

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom