Real time busted LCA (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
can I limp this home 150 miles on back roads at 45-50mph? LCA busted where the torsion bar mounts to the LCA. (known weak spot failure)

Thanks in advance

IMG_0755.JPG
IMG_0737.JPG

Given your load (including kids) kinda tough to say go for it. If it were me I would give it a go but slow! See how it goes. Remember anything in the cabin becomes a projectile in a rollover. The risk with passengers is my only hold back. Be safe.

Given your load (including kids) kinda tough to say go for it. If it were me I would give it a go but slow! See how it goes. Remember anything in the cabin becomes a projectile in a rollover. The risk with passengers is my only hold back. Be safe.

We got mommy, baby and three big kids in other vehicles. We are halfway home no issues yet...keeping it under 50 on back roads with no traffic. Thanks

The weak spot on the LCA is the weld.

UPDATE: Home! Safe and sound...truck did fine just cruising around on the bump stops.

Once I get the wheel off I'll report findings.

UPDATE: Home! Safe and sound...truck did fine just cruising around on the bump stops.

Once I get the wheel off I'll report findings.

Thanks for the update I was wondering how you were all doing. Good work and good call with your passengers. Have a good new year. I had some Wheeler's bump stops on my LX and took them off now I will just throw them in my tool kit in the event of a failure like this. You could jack up the front end pull the factory bumps and put in the Wheeler's in both front locations and have some added clearance and cushion for a emergency drive out.

Weld on is not required but is recommended for maximum strength.

Good everyone made it safe. Seems like something worth installing as preventive upgrade. Part # or link to purchase those? quick search turning up with nothing, but maybe I'm searching with the wrong key words.

Weld on is not required but is recommended for maximum strength.

Makes me wonder on higher mileage rigs with heavy loads and stiffer bars having compromised the area welding them in may weaken it further? Maybe a good idea to replace with a new control arm then weld in the tabs? Just one of those things I forget to consider routine maintenance. We are gifted with vehicles that can last a lifetime so things like this just pass their intended life cycle when a significant amount of extra stress is applied. I will likely replace the lowers and ball joints at the same time.

Thanks for the update I was wondering how you were all doing. Good work and good call with your passengers. Have a good new year. I had some Wheeler's bump stops on my LX and took them off now I will just throw them in my tool kit in the event of a failure like this. You could jack up the front end pull the factory bumps and put in the Wheeler's in both front locations and have some added clearance and cushion for a emergency drive out.

Funny, I almost used wood.

Makes me wonder on higher mileage rigs with heavy loads and stiffer bars having compromised the area welding them in may weaken it further? Maybe a good idea to replace with a new control arm then weld in the tabs? Just one of those things I forget to consider routine maintenance. We are gifted with vehicles that can last a lifetime so things like this just pass their intended life cycle when a significant amount of extra stress is applied. I will likely replace the lowers and ball joints at the same time.
I think the general consensus amongst the Aussie 100's is it only takes one good bottoming out of the bumpstops to achieve this type of damage. The bumpstop is rather close to the LCA's pivot point. Those Superbumps (or Timbrens) would probably reduce chances of this type of failure. If installing the reinforcement brackets, you can apply crack dye penetrant to see if any cracks are present prior to welding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom