Early Aussie FJ40s - Were they imported from US? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all this has been playing on my mind for a while and I am happy to be proven wrong. Some pics we have seen of early 40s in Aust look very much like the US (Tail lights, and lever on the dash). Although other seem to be quite specific to the Aust market - Tail lights on my 65 and others. Please put in your two cents - if you have an 61-65 FJ lets see some picks. The one below here is about to be auctioned - I will try to get down to see it later this week but if I can get a few reference points to sort out if it was directly sent to Aust from Japan or via the US that would be great.

11791279165_c933e995e4.jpg

11792047086_5efd5730d1.jpg

11791524693_cf42324938.jpg

11792047086_5efd5730d1.jpg
11791522583_ddc048ec1e.jpg

Something else that adds to the confusion - Engine numbers although they were F Motors wern't added to the compliance plates in the definitely Aussie originals.

Cheers Dobster

RHD would not have been a FJ40 that was intented for the US market. I believe 65 was the first year Australia started with the amber/red tail lights. For 64 and maybe 63 amber turn signal lights were added across the bottom to comply with the laws in Australia. I have no idea why the engine numbers weren't stamped on the VIN plate. In the US the number was there thru 65 at least. But after it was dropped. If your saying there isn't a place for it on the VIN plate and it's later than yours that would be normal. If your saying the place for the number is there but it's not stamped I don't have a clue why. The transmission floor shifter was always a option here. Not sure how early the transfer case floor shifter was availavle but I believe pretty early. I think it was standard in other market. The that always gets me is in the US we got almost all oil bath air cleaners until the 68 model. Australia got paper element filters. I guessing since the oil bath was a option it was suppose to be better. Since it would be easier to carry the correct oil to replace then carry paper elements you would think was all the dirt roads in the center of Australia with few auto parts stores the oil bath would have been imported.

On my 65 Compliance Plate - There is no place for the engine number - so I assumed this would have been the case for earlier more then later.

Am I correct in assuming FJ40 is Right Hand Drive and FJ40L is Left Hand Drive? If so the compliance plate on this one is definitely set up for right hand drive. Wasn't one of the great production values of the 40 that they were made to be able to be right hand or left hand with ease.

I have also done a little reading and it appears that 40's up until 65 still had some small amount of assembly to be completed in Australia. bonnet, doors etc. It took about 6 hours to get a cruiser ready for sale. This maybe adds a little to the theory they were the same as the US model except RHD.

Thiess Bros began the importation of Landcruisers into Oz, I'm fairly certain it was for the Snowy Mountains scheme. The Rover's just weren't cutting it. All of the early pics I've seen of FJ25's/28's/40's that arrived were RHD in a CKD format, ready for final assy. once they'd cleared customs. Country of origin? Japan.

You're correct in that they were manufactured with a RH or LH end product in mind, hence the simplicity of the design and parts interchangeability, but to send trucks to the US and then to AUS would be cost-prohibitive for poor old post-war Toyota. And not make much sense.

Beautiful example though. Any idea what it'll go for?

Did the FJ40s still have a VIN Plate as well as a compliance plate? Would the 63 have as compliance plate or did that come later. US market only had a VIN plate under the hood until 3/69 when a second plate to the driver's A pillar. This plate included a month and year of production. Unlike the VIN under the hood this one was riveted on. The one under the hood was attached with screws and nuts at first. Then with just sheet matel screws. In 78 when it was moved back to the firewall from the fender it was riveted from then on.

Since no one else brought it up the spare tire carrier was on the left side. Even if the vehicle was switched from LHD to RHD I doubt they would have bothered switching the tire carrier.

I had a friend who used to have a garage he owned. Dealt in lots of thinks. Had a few construction water trucks. Bought and resold military surplus items. He also converted muscle car to RHD that were being sent to Australia. While it wasn't as easy as a FJ40 he say it was that hard. While the speedometer cluster looks like it with the glove box door. there really wasn't a advantage on production line. They of had a rectangle glove box door just as easy. I think it was mainly to give the dash a balance look not for ease of converting which side the steering wheel was on. If I want to switch a RHD FJ40 I was replace the cowl. Then it just a matter of mounting the base for the steering box, Install the bell crank which I believe the hole would already be there. Then the tab for the steering damper where bolts to the front crossmember. Those hole may be there also. If I had bought the early RHD FJ43 that sold on eBay a few years back that's what I probably have done. Unlike the 68 and later 40 series these early ones with dual wiper motors didn't need to switch windshield frames just wiper motors. Not sure that is really needed. I had put some thought into converting that FJ43. Other than a custom canvas top the only pieces I figured I needed to restore it as a LHD were the bow pieces that run from the B pillar to the back which is just straight pipe.

In all the reading "The Long Run Toyota the First 40 years in Australia" I have looked at - Australia was where Japan identifired the potential of the commercial export market and in 1962 Theiss nearly lost the distribution rights due to not enough sales an investment. They kept is for another two years but lost the right to Papua New Guinea and all passaenger cars. Toyota required Thiess to purchase 600 Landcruisers and 1200 Stouts per year. In 1961 372 Landcruisers were sold and 156 stouts.

I wonder if this is the turning point and prior to that the Landcruisers were set up for the US market with the only difference being RHD? I'll get out the above truck today and am hoping to get some photos of a 1961 in fairly original condition.

Cheers Dobster

Dobster... remember this truck>>> https://forum.ih8mud.com/fj25-owners-group/466481-1963-fj40-build-thread-3.html

it was a late 1963.... had lights added to underneath.... most definitely to pass your DOT

then 1964 they just came out with a whole new light setup... probably by the Au requiring it to do done and the extra small lights wouldn't cut it anymore

the truck was definitely not intended for USA... too many things would need to get fixed... in a big way to make look factory... spare tire holes when moved to other side... holes in firewall for the clutch and brake when moved... fender to be replaced so there is no cut out for steering on leftside... seats .... there is just WAY too many things IMHO

IMO always intended for Au... added lights under to comply to Au laws

Thanks JonnyC - On fire!! - this was the truck that got me thinking about this stuff. (I couldn't find it earlier) And It is clearing up my mind that these were definitely sent to Aust from Japan.

I went out to Shannons today and took a heap of photos. This truck has 16 inch one piece rims (not available US?), and although the transfer lever is on the dash it hasn't been added.

It's definitely a 63 and has the orginaly generator, and many other parts. A couple of minor things not correct. It was restored 19 years ago and has sat in a shed since - approx 100 miles since resto. No photos unfortunately. It has the original tool kit and new tools, jack and poles. The rubbers are in great nick and it comes with a heap of parts - including a Red screw on lens for the indicators (wont fit). The indicators are two sided (red and Amber) although one is clear). Also in the back are Toyota original hoses and the tail light assembly that goes with my 65.

Asking range they think will be about 20K AUST. Will post pics shortly and will also post the 1961 that are coming.

Sold for peanuts compared To what its worth world wide. At least the price of our old trucks is on the increase as good one are getting scares as all the models are getting shipped around the world.

My 1962 fj40 going by plate was made in Japan would this be right and is there any way of tracking the history of the old girl ? Any info would be great cheers

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom