Building for Alaska/ TransCanada Adventure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Building for "Continental Divide"-ish Trip

Next summer I will be going on a trip to Alaska from Colorado and doing the Dalton Highway up to the Arctic Circle, as many here have already done. After that though, and this is still undetermined, I will be making my way from West to East across Canada. First off, I would like any useful information from those who have made the trip or one like it because I know there will be alot of details I may miss. So routes and stop-off ideas are totally wanted.
Mostly though, I'd like some recommendations from the equipment list I am compiling.
My budget is around $10,000 for the build I am thinking, but I am building from stock, so the expensive items really add up. Here is what I have so far:

What I need:
ARB front bumper
Warn XD9000
Superline Synthetic Winch Line--------I read an article in Overland about the incompatibility of synthetic line with certain winches....Anyone know about this?
OME Heavy 2.5IN Lift
ICOM IC-706MKIIG CB Radio----Might still go with this even though theres alot of nays as to its usefulness way out in BFE.
CDL Switch
ARB Touring Rack
Eezi-Awn Rooftop Tent---Not sure if funds will stretch this far. I may stick with my 3 season tent.
National Luna Dual Battery Setup
Slee Step Sliders
Engel Freezer Fridge-considering size still and availability of funds
Pull-Pal
Slee Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier.

Items I would like more input on:
Delorme Topo USA 7.0----------Still going back and forth between this and NG Topo.
Lowrance GPS-it wont be leaving the vehicle-----Eh...Maybe
Toyo Open Country MT/ BFG KM All-Terrain 315s (6)
Snorkel with prefilter
Driving Lights-Lightforce, IPF, PIAA, Hella (I am aware of build
quality issues with some of the Hellas)
Ive seen various setups, but looking for whats best for me--------Leaning more and more towards lightforce, but theyre HUGE

Ive already PM'd most of the vehicle:
Axles, Fluids, PHH, etc. More ideas welcome.

Again thanks for all the input and I am really looking forward to this build. I'll be in Afghanistan from May of this year until May of the next, so I'm still deliberating on leaving it with someone to be worked on, or just waiting and doing it all at once when I get back. But I look forward to all the input while I plan this trip.:cheers:

Last edited:
Sounds like an incredible trip. I don't know how I would ever be able to pull it off, but I would love to do something like this one day. keep us updated, and most important, thank you for your service to our country.
Clint-

try to bring a canoe and some fishing poles. western ontario is covered with lakes. i've done trans canada east to west a few times and always wished i had brought a canoe.

ICOM IC-706MKIIG CB Radio
Kaymar rear bumper
Delorme Topo USA 7.0
Mean Green Alternator (Man-A-Fre)

For radios, consider getting your Amateur Radio license. Then upgrade to a General license. HF frequency privileges will allow you far greater transmission range than a CB. You may also want a SPOT satellite messenger.

Kaymar - I don't like mine. It rattles. After seeing both an IPOR and Hanna, I ordered Hanna's. Both IPOR and Hanna appear to be stronger and better built. Hanna and IPOR also have more jerry can capicity.

I'd suggest National Geographic TOPO!. I also have Delorme Topo USA 7.0, but perfer TOPO! when off-higway because of the detailed information of the USGS maps.

Consider upgrading to a larger capacity Toyota alternator from a Sequoia.

I highly recommend adding an axillary gas tank. I added one for a week long 450+ mile off-highway trip. Much better than lots of jerry cans of gas.

BTW, I'll probably go on the same trip in 2010.

cool. sounds exciting. i'm planning just a road trip from east to west coast, so no need for the hardcore true expedtion stuff just yet (but that's the goal eventually if/when the funds come)
well, if you're headed east and want some solitude, i say hit up Radisson in northern quebec, the road just ends there, middle of nowhere (on my to do list) and just find some loging roads to play on. then you definitely gotta hit the east coast, as in nova scotia, and hit the cabbott trail (one of canada's most scenic roads) if you're there around august, it's whale watching season, you can see humpbacks right from shore. get some cheap lobster right off the boats from their morning catch and get the pot going.

my one plan is labrador. with your rig, it'll be easy peasy. check the map, and find your way to churchville and into happy goose bay, take the ferry from there and it'll take you to some small towns on the east shore, aparently, gravel roads connect them all and they eventually plan on finishing the roads there all the way down to where you have tot ake the ferry to newfoundland, might as well head
there too!

you can do up all the provinical parks along the way, or anywhere with your RTT set up. northern ontario is beautiful, hwy 17 along lake superior will give you a pacific hwy 1 kind of feel, but it's a huge a$$ lake!

anyway, just ramblin on here cuz i'm stoked for ya! lookin forward to watchin the build.

Drop the Mean Green alternator--waste of money

MULE rack: I don't think Kaleb is making them anymore. I think I got one of his last units. They are bee-u-tee-ful.

x2 on the HAM. CB ain't gonna give you much range or help except when you are on highways near civilization.

Possibly rent some satellite phones if you are worried about being out of communication range.

I'd say drop the Toyo MT's and go with a good all-terrain.

That list below is going to put you well over $10K. Probably closer to $15-16K.

Have a great trip.

-o-

315's without gears makes the truck pretty slow in general and especially on hills. I've still managed to tow my 40 without gears on 315's but it is pretty painful.

You could save a couple hundred bucks by sticking with standard winch cable. While I have synthetic and love it, unless you think you will use your winch a lot, it may not be worth it if budget becomes an issue.

Slee's 4" springs are badass. If I didn't have a 40 to blow money on, I would have swapped my J's out for them a long time ago.

Now that I have part time 4wd, I don't think I will have another 80 without it, especially one that is lifted.

Beno is right- mean green is IMO not worth the money.

Thanks for all the input so far. Unwired- I actually had the same sentiments against the Kaymar, I actually prefer the Slee setup, but will look into IPOR and Hanna.

Getto- I had actually considered bringing a Kayak that I already have. I look forward to doing some water bound excursions.

Romey-this is just what Im looking for. Ill get m maps out later today.

Beno- I am TRYING to stick to $10K on this. We'll see. As for the alternator, Im not sure I'll even need one, but Im going to look into a sequoia one as mentioned. And damn you for the rack. What happened? I hadnt thought of the HAM...how do I go about getting licensed?

CruisinGA- I forgot to mention Im changing the gears to some just a little higher to accommodate the bigger rubber. As for the list, I have long considered the 4 inch kit from Slee, and with all the armor on board it may make since for my needs.

Thanks for all the info and keep it coming.

I to have been planning a trip similar to yours, check toyota parts trd accessories grill at trdpart4u.com. they have bunch of things that would help you out. I can only give input on a few things... As for a radio get your HAM license and buy a good HF radio you will be able to communicate much further than VHF or CB. LORAN is great but a bit over kill if you have all the current maps in your Garmin. As for tires I give two thumbs up for the Goodyears. As mentioned above a SPOT is a great piece of gear I currently have a PLB personal location becon on my flak jacket just in case. SPOT is very affordable and does it's job. I am not a fan of Mean Green nothing bad just didn't find a use for alternator that could crank out enough amps to run my house. I know its not much but I hope it helps Stay safe over there and if you ever make your way to Kabul hit me up. I will be there in late August. Good Luck with the build

Thanks Slee... I plan on paying you a visit for the build. As far as tires go, I have heard great things abut both tires, but does anyone have any idea which one wears better? I noticed that DMCs tires at the end of his South American Expedition were very worn. I obviously am not going as far, but Id like the tires to last for more than a trip.
I think I am definitely going to have to go the HF route too.
Any other PM you guys see Im missing?

Oh, before I forget, I forgot to ask about gearing...Ive seen some variation on gears for 315s and this area really isnt my forte. 5.29s too high for highway driveability? Whats the next step lower? 4.56?

Also, while Im on a roll: I have yet to mention any of the oddities and other things that would be nice to have along the way including everything from jerry cans (which I already have 5- thanks Army) to coffee makers. I feel like I may be giving off the impression that I may be in over my head, but the truth is I am OCD when it comes to planning and logistics. Again THANK you for the ideas!

Unwired_ in reference to your comment on DeLorme and National Geographic. Is this the same software that can be found at REI or the likes of REI?

As far as eastern canada goes, do some research on route 389 from Baie Comeau, Quebec up into Labrador/Newfoundland. I've never been on it, but I hope to do it one day. Hopefully someone will chime in that may know more. If you can find it on the map you'll see how remote this drive is!

Thanks street tractor...ill add to to list of routes to investigate.

If you head to Eastern Canada.....make sure you visit Newfoundland. You won't be disappointed! Let me know when you are coming and we will go wheelin! We also make at least a few trips to some new corner of the island every summer and you would be more than welcome to come along! Don't make the mistake of calling it a cross Canada adventure and stop in Nova Scotia like a lot of people do! Newfoundland is a unique and unforgettable part of Canda......you will love it!

I'd suggest National Geographic TOPO!. I also have Delorme Topo USA 7.0, but perfer TOPO! when off-higway because of the detailed information of the USGS maps.

Who has Topo maps for Canada? I have Topo USA 7.0 from Delorme but I haven't seen Canada maps from them. What about others?

On tires, find ones that are tough with thick treads and sidewalls. Many of the roads up there are really rock, not gravel. 2" to 4" gravel size is routine. Some roads are made with 4" to 6" gravel.:eek: Have a minimum of two spares and know where you can order replacements from. Seriously consider E or F load range tires even if you don't need the carrying capacity.

As for fuel. Plan on carrying enough so you can get to a fuel depot and be able to make it to the next one without refueling. You still fill up at every depot, but carry enough spare fuel in case the depot is out.

James Bay Road is the road that goes up to Raddison. The Trans-Taiga Road heads east from it for 666km with no services at all. There are some hunting lodges along it where you may be able to get some fuel. The hydro power company towns have no general public services. There are various roads to villages off of the James Bay Road. Some may require river crossings, others have bridges. The James Bay and Trans-Tiaga roads both have bridges at every river crossing but you may run into a washout but they get repaired fast as the road is used for construction work. Both roads should be travelable in a stock vehicle, but you will want stronger tires and a couple spares. All the segments of the Trans-Labrador Highway should be stock capable too.

This is pretty cool I just bought one a couple of guys on mud run these in different configurations Unsupported Browser

Wow sounds like an exciting trip - I have driven Canada both ways West - East and East - West you are going to love it. Haven't done it in the cruiser yet but would love to one day soon. First time was in my Civic coupe with my then GF (now wife) the two of us camped our way across. Obviously we stuck mostly to decent roads (had UHP summer tires on - got into trouble in Sask when we ran into a HUGE storm and the roads turned to mush - but that is another story. Not sure the car liked some of the spots we found ourselves in but hey that is part of the adventure right? Using your brain instead of your brawn tends to be wise when you are not in your own backyard. Used a cooler (not a fridge) and made out just fine (we are used to backcountry camping where electricity and power are not available). We like to use the K.I.S.S rule when camping/ traveling lot less to go wrong.

When we travel we tend to try and hit up out of the way places which tend to be local - so one tip I have for you is to talk to locals. Find out where they go hiking, riding, fishing, wheeling etc. if they are willing to give out the info chances are you will find yourself off the beaten track - likely where you want to be. One example I remember was the Lussier Hot Springs in BC - you drive like 20kms down a forest access road and come to a set of springs right next to a glacial river. Had an awesome afternoon chillin' and would have never found it had it not been for chatting up some locals the day before. Another example this summer was when I got up early to take some pictures while on the Cabot Trail in NS - got talking with some of the crab fishermen on their way in from their morning run and wound up going out with them that night for their second run of the day - that was a highlight for me. Hitting up all the tourist stuff is great for some people but I think true travel comes from one off experiences. Found a Buddhist Monastary out there as well that not even some of the local knew about.... the list goes on.

I have lots of other cool places (as I am sure other guys do) - just let me know.

Going to be doing a similar thing this summer except sans Cruiser and in Central America - unless of course the :princess: lets me get one down there - but that is a whole other story!

j.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom