How to fix a Locker - with Pictures (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am trying to attach pictures. I hope this works.

Anyway, I have been having problems with my front locker getting stuck in the locked position for quite some time. In my opinion, it is worse if it gets stuck locked then if it doesn't engage at all.

Anyway, my first call was to CDan, who told me that Toyota does NOT sell parts for the locker mechanism. If it breaks, you have to buy the entire thing – which retails for about $600! Well I figured for that price I had to at least try and fix my old one. So I decided to pull the locker mechanism and see how it worked and why mine might not be working. It is not that hard to take off. Pull 1 plug and remove 4 bolts.

My obversations:

First, this mechanism is built very similar to a windshield wiper assembly. It also sees VERY limited use and therefore does not "wear out" like other parts that are moving all the time. Other than it being encased in an aluminum housing (which is softer than steel), it is very sturdy and I don't see how it could break easily. If you have problems with your lockers I am willing to bet that it either needs to be cleaned or the electrical contacts need to be tightened a little (I'll explain later), but I see NO REASON why the entire mechanism should be replaced.

How it works:

When you engage the locker, a motor winds up a torsion spring that exerts a force on a steel pin that locks (or unlocks) the axle. It is normal for this pin to bind up in the axle itself – that’s why the springs are used. The springs keep a constant pressure on the pin until you turn the steering wheel from side to side. This unbinds the axle and frees up the pressure on the pin and the torsion spring then pulls (or pushes) the pin into the proper position (either locked or unlocked). Turning the locker switch on or off spins the motor forward or reverse and winds the torsion springs in different directions so the pin is either pulled or pushed into the proper position. You can see the torsion springs in the picture.

What could go wrong:

Well in theory, ANYTHING could go wrong, but in practical terms, it is usually something simple – and after disassembling it I would say probably one of 2 things. Either the pin is not sliding freely or, in my case, the copper contacts in the locker mechanism aren't making good contact.

Once you pull off the locker mechanism, you will see the pin that engages the locker. You can push it and pull it with a screwdriver. The bottom of the pin will have teeth on them that make contact with the locker mechanism. It shouldn't be too hard to slide it back and forth. I slid mine back and forth several times with a screwdriver and after a while it got really loose. JUST MAKE SURE YOU REMEMBER THE POSITION IT WAS IN WHEN YOU TOOK THE LOCKER MECHANISM OFF. This step is critical. Make sure you put it back in the position you found it in! If not, you will screw it up.

Take the locker mechanism back to the workbench. Remove the round clip that holds the outside gear and pull the gear off. Be careful the clip doesn’t fly across the garage when you remove it. Then remove the 3 screws for the housing and then separate the case. You will find a toothed gear with a metal plate on it covered in electrical grease. On the other side will be 3 copper contacts. Look at the attached picture. When you put the casing back together, the contacts “read” the position of the big round gear (the one with electrical grease on it) and know when to stop locking or unlocking (otherwise the locker motor would just keep turning, bind up when it reaches the limit of the torsion spring, and then burn up). So as not to screw up anything, I would put a mark on the toothed gear and the side of the casing. That way if you drop it or move it you can still line it up. IT IS CRITICAL THAT EVERYTHING STAY IN PROPER ALIGNMENT. Some of the electrical grease was caked on with age and that was preventing good electrical contact – that was my problem. Obviously the contact that engaged the locker was working and that was why the locker would engage just fine, but wouldn’t unlock. I cleaned off some of the caked grease and then I bent the copper contacts up so that they would exert more force on the tooth gear and get better electrical contact once I put it back together.

If you want to test the motor at this point you can since it won’t spin the gear and mess up the alignment. I did and the motor worked just fine. When you look at the plug, (the plug that you unplugged when you removed the assembly from the vehicle), there will be 3 pins on one side and two pins on the other. Put 12V DC to the 2 pins side (one is green with a brown stripe and other is green with a silver stripe) and the motor should spin. Mine did.

I put a little grease on the motor’s screw gear and made sure that nothing moved out of alignment on the big round gear and then I put it back together. I installed it back in the truck and it works like a charm. No problems whatsoever.

By the way, when I did this procedure I made the mistake of taking apart the motor as well, which is unnecessary (there is nothing to fix inside), but I didn’t know that until after I took it apart. When you take the motor apart the brushes will pop out and it will be virtually impossible to put the motor back together. If this happens, don’t panic. You can use a piece of string to pull the brushes back in place until you put the motor back together. Then pull the string out. I took a picture of it, if anyone is interested, I will send it.

Hope this is helpful to someone.
Inside Locker 2.JPG
Inside the locker 1.JPG

Nice write up. Now, will the next chapter be on the ARB's? I've never had a problem, but others have. Anyone ready to step up to the FAQ / Archive plate for the pitch? Nice pics too.

Inside the Motor

When I pulled the motor apart, the brushes popped out (look at the photo).

In the second picture you can see how I used a piece of string for one brush and a small piece of wire on the other to put it all back together. The string worked better than the wire.

Anyway, for whatever it is worth that is what the inside of the locker motor looks like.

Hope it is helpful!
Brushes popped out.JPG
Pulling back the brushes.JPG

By the way, the ugly guy holding the locker mechanism in this picture is me. Thought I would introduce myself. Cruiser is in the background. The wife takes good pictures (of the Cruiser that is)
Me in the garage.JPG

great write-up dude! Sounds like FAQ material.

Good write up pics.

Vince

Sweet write-up I was just playing with my lockers tonight (testing them all out) and found out my front and center engage according to the solid lights on the dash but the rear kept flashing. I don't know if it has anything to do with it being below freezing here or not but since I don't have a repair manual yet I was leary of taking them off yet. With this now all I'm waiting for is a nice warm day to lay under the truck and I know how it works before opening it up :) Thanks a bunch
Definitely add to the FAQs

Also keep in mind that if you have a locker that is locking, but not stopping the flashing that the indicator for the locker is not in the actuator...

be ware that the rear has some importand diffrences, similar write up for the rear, post 7 has text, post 13 has soem pictures

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17701

biggest problem with lockers is water getting inside and rotting the whole lot

So my front locker is causing me a headache. It wouldn't engage, but I could hear it click. No action, no matter how long I would turn, etc. The locker actuator was not working.

So...I undid the harness, removed the housing, and carefully disassembled the actuator...it was a bit dirty but not terrible. I cleaned, scrubbed, etc and brought it back to "like new" condition...including cleaning the contacts on the three copper prongs (I "tightended" them too).

So, I have everything clean, line it all back up...hook it up to the truck for power without bolting it back up...nothing. No click, no motor, no nothing. It seems like the motor is drawing but no motion or sounds, etc.

The only things I can think of:

1. The magnets in the motor were loose when I took it all apart and had appartently bound up the motor. There was dry adhesive on the walls of the motor cap so I readhered them in the same pattern (evenly spaced on four sides). Could have burnt it up before I even go there? Nothing looks burnt.

2. The large drive gear that meshes with the worm gear had ZERO grease on it when I disassembled. I didn't see this writeup so I didn't add any back/didn't have any. Anyone have a source for the right stuff? Do you think that the grease is preventing the "control" of the prongs from properly working?

3. I need this fixed before this weekend :)

The pin in the diff is in the same place it was when I removed the actuator...I haven't actually messed with that at all...need to make sure it is free, etc.

I just used some generic wheel bearing grease, just make sure the grease is not conductive, ie molly grease woudl not be a good choice

IIRC the magnets are alternating polarities (N/S/N/S), are you sure you put each one in its proper place?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I let me sister do it, I am positive they are wrong :)

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I let me sister do it, I am positive they are wrong :)

You LET your sister do it? WHATEVER you ungrateful little s**t.:flipoff2:

He DIRECTED me to reglue the magnets back in, which I did. Then hours later he calls me and says "Raven says that they should be alternating polarity, did you notice if there were 2 kinds of magnets in there?"

HHHHMMMMPPPPFFFFTTTTTT!

All I have to say is that I accomplished what I set out to do, those magnets are in there and aren't moving. Good luck getting them back out again Dan!

Raven, obviously from this little sibling squabble, you probably have figured out that we didn't notice a difference in the magnets. Do you have a good way to tell which is which before re-re-glueing?

Amen sister! We completely didn't pay attention ( I am completely and totally owning up, so don't worry :)).

I will be melting your glue tomorrow and trying to figure out the orientation...plan on just finding the poles and arranging them.

LOL

Well you can put them in two groups by using another magnet, see if one side of the other magnet attracts or repels, but that does not really tell us where they go, is it nsns or snsn, if you get it wrong it will spin backward of where the locker ecu tells it,

Probably best to compare it to a known good motor, I would assume that the rear motor would have the same magnet orientation, but you know what assume does,

I have not done my front yet, if you want we can use it as a blue print, add it to the docket?

Be careful heating them, magnets do not like heat

I plan on using acetone or the like...

Sounds like I need to buy you beer and food this week.

Email me :)...locker and temp thingy party!

I have no idea what she put on there...some low end stuff...not epoxy or anything fancy.

Update: The magnets in the motor DO have poles, and they ARE a concern if your locker is not working. They come unglued over time and jam the motor. Mine was loose and caused mine to jam. I have validated that the slide in the diff does move, the motor is free to turn, and the brushes needed a little polish.

The large gear is positioned the way I took it out, dielectric is smothered on it to prevent corrosion in the future. Everything is together except the motor cap. I need to get some adhesives to stick em back on there. Since I know they have poles and have them alternating on the bench now I am going for some 5 minute epoxy to slap em back in...hope they never come loose again! :)

Will update when I get it working *crosses fingers*

Ahhhhhhh... a write-up with pics. My favorite thing ever. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom