Parking Brake weak? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, I am new to the LC scene, but am learning lots here on the forum.

My first question is regarding my brakes. My e-brake (or parking brake) is weak, it barely holds the truck.

I assume this is directly related to the fact that the brakes on the truck are weak. If I slam them to the floor, I can't get the ABS to activate, even for a big truck, they should be better than this.

Thoughts on first course of attack?

Bleed brakes?

Check MC?

anyone?

thanks!!!

first thing to do is to pull the wheels and check the pads and rotors all the way around

if everything is good there, then bleed the whole system-- there are 5 points at which you can bleed.

also search Mud, this has been covered.

e-brkae is a seperate system to the regular "foot" brake. Easy fix might be adjusting them - wheel off, rotate hub so hole is downwards, insert screwdriver and rotate the adjusting star washer upwards - proper procedure documented on here, you don't want my version ;)

You need to adjust your parking brake, I've had this problem a hundred times.

Also- your ABS should not activate on dry pavement. You've got a very large contact patch and unless the asphalt is slippery you won't activate your ABS.

I'll check the pads/rotors. and search for adjusting parking brake.

I assume that adjusting the PB will not make my pedal feel firmer, so I'll do those and see what I can find.

Adjusting the hand brake on a disk brake rear will do nothing for the pedal. The handbrake is strictly a mechanical set of shoes in the drum of the rear rotor. It is not effected by the wear on the rear pads and unlike the rear drum brake Cruisers, does NOT have an auto adjuster to keep it set properly. You must periodically manually adjust it as described in your FSM.

my bad... forgot that the newer 80s have the drum in rotor parking brake.

But for the soft pedal- it is probably just old fluid that needs to be bled, but it could also be old pads that are too worn. Might as well check the pads, it isn't very difficult.

you have to adjust the toothed cog. There is a hole in the brake rotor that you align at the bottom and stick a screwdriver thru to flick the cog up (tighter) or down (loosen) the parking brake pads. The design is sucky and requires frequent attention.

I usually adjust all the way tight and then back off each side the same amount of downward strokes so both sides grab equally.

so imagine the brake rotor covering the photo below but this is what you are doing-
3051541170_e19f88a0d5_b.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom