New emblems (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Lka1988

Beating the Highlander
Threads
Hmm, I should probably start this off with a

***BLING ALERT***

Anyways...

I'm replacing the black "Toyota Land Cruiser" liftgate emblem with chrome "Land Cruiser" lettering from a 100.

I posted in the 100 section a few days ago to find out where to get the emblems... Someone named "pint" pointed me to SOR. Nice guy.
Scored both emblems for $61, including S&H. Even came with a complimentary FJ Cruiser magazine and catalogue on CD. Sweet.

Now to make this tech, I'm
wondering how the hell I should get the old emblem off *without* breaking it. I've read a few threads that suggest dental floss or fishing line for the smaller emblems (4WD, etc...), but I'm doubtful that this will work for the big black 2-foot-wide emblem. Anyone had success with this?

Now for you nay-sayers, I'm doing this tomorrow. Your feeble attempts at persuading me otherwise are futile. :flipoff2:

Thoughts? comments? flame? I'll post 'before', 'during', and 'after' pics, just for you pic-whores out there, m-kay? Cool.

Emblems:
attachment.php

Last edited:
I think there are holes behind the old emblem strip. what are you going to do if there are some holes back there? I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure there aren't holes.

The same emblem on my friends 80 is broken half off, there aren't any holes under hers.

Appreciate the tip though, I didn't think of that.

Floss or line should work as well if not better on the bigger emblem.

Please don't post pics. Please? I usually read the forums right after dinner.

-Spike

Floss or line should work as well if not better on the bigger emblem.

Please don't post pics. Please? I usually read the forums right after dinner.

-Spike

:lol:

I'm trying to go for a more subtle type look, where you look at it and wonder, "there's something different about this one..."

I have a feeling there's gonna be something different about my keyboard if I see a pic of that on an 80.

I already have to pass over LX_TREME's threads for fear of redecorating my office. ;p

-Spike

I have a feeling there's gonna be something different about my keyboard if I see a pic of that on an 80.

I already have to pass over LX_TREME's threads for fear of redecorating my office. ;p

-Spike

:eek: :lol:

Well, I already gave my word to the pic-whores....

Guess we won't see you in here tomorrow. :frown:

You can pass by this one, I won't be offended. :frown: ;p :flipoff2:

Use a blow dryer on high to heat the emblem thoroughly for ease of removal, also. It helps to have small wedges of some sort to jam in the side you're starting on to keep pulling it slightly away from the body to prevent it resticking. Spraying into the crack you're slowly widening with soapy water also helps prevent a restick. When you're done, some 3M Adhesive Remover in the red aerosol can is effective along with a plastic scraper to remove the gummy residue until it's thin enough to begin wiping off. Spray, scrape, repeat. When it's only a thin film, just spray, wipe, repeat.

DougM

Use a blow dryer on high to heat...

LOL, I got so caught up in the horror of what you're doing to that poor truck that I forgot to actually give you some help. Doug's got it nailed though. An actual heat gun will work faster (and possibly damage more stuff- cool :D) if you have access to one.

-Spike

Alright, while I'm waiting for the Goo Gone to do its thing, I'll post up some progress pics...with a test fit. It'll look better, I promise.

Enjoy. :flipoff2:
before_1.jpg
during_1.jpg
test fit.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really good. Where do you keep your spare? If you get a rear tire carrier no one will see the hard work.

Thanks!

Spare is still in the stock location. I plan to move it up top...whenever my buddy and I decide to finish the roof rack...

More pics...

#1- The emblem itself. I'm keeping it, so no offers!!
#2- Goo is almost off............. :D:D:D:D
emblem_1.JPG
during_2.jpg

Well, it's finished!! Took a little longer than I thought to get that last bit of goo off, but I did it! And it looks AWESOME!!

Pics:
#1- All gone!! notice the puddle of goo on the bumper....there was more on the hatch, not visible in the pic.
#2- Took it down to the local wash to clean the goo off the hatch and bumper.
#3- Emblems attached...

Whaddaya'll think?
all clean.jpg
washing....jpg
finished!!.jpg

This stuff kicks butt.
goo gone.jpg

Oh, definitely. It was dark when I took those last ones, I'll get better pics in the morning.

This thing works great too. It could remove all that adhesive in a couple of minutes. Also, works well on removing pinstriping.

p65.jpg

Nice. Wish I would have thought about that earlier...

wonder if you could get one in Gold... I better start searching!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom