BMW Seats into an 85 FJ60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DFXR

SILVER Star
Threads
My weekend project was getting a pair of '91 BMW e30 seats into my 85 (10/84) FJ60. These are the "comfort" version as opposed to the leather "sport" version. They are cheaper to come by than leather ($150-200 vs $300-500), but definitely less sporty. Completely manual. I got them off CL a few months back after a lot of unproductive junkyard trips.

This will seem pretty mickey mouse to any experienced welders or fabricators but hopefully it'll help someone (like me a few weeks ago) wrestling with the aftermarket seats thing and not wanting to spend a big chunk on the IPOR/procars. It's one way, not the only way. But pretty much any seat that was meant to bolt down to a flat floor like these BMWs can be mounted on a bracket like this - it's just a matter of where you drill the holes.

Bolt pattern on these seats and others from the same period (84-91 3-series or e30) is 16.75" wide, 12.25" front-to-back. They were made to bolt onto a flat floor, and the sliders are integrated into the rear hinge so you've got to stick with them.

Things I learned along the way:

*FJ60s up until 86 or 87 have a unique floor, resulting in unique seat mounts. They might not seem too special but once you start poking around junkyards and really looking at other seats, you'll understand.

*The only junker seats I came across that looked like a direct drop-in fit were from the Dodge Neon. This has been noted on Mud before. The good news is that they will pretty much bolt right up, and from what I saw many Neons ended up at the pickers with relatively low miles. The bad news is that Neon seats are about as comfy and well-made as the car they came from.

*These BMW seats are tall once they're mounted. Very comfy, but tall. I'm 6-1 and I wouldn't want these to put me any higher than they do. I'm not ready to put a bubble on the roof but you get my drift...

*Whatever seats you choose, plan on having to fabricate some kind of mount or bracket, and plan on it being either a small PITA or a big one, depending on your skills and tools. And plan on pulling the new seats in and out of your truck about 400 times while you figure it out.

These seats into this truck (more details in the next post):
BMW_seats.jpg
85_FJ.jpg

Last edited:
Materials used:

3/16 X 2 X 2 angle
3/16 X 2.5 flat bar (could have used 3" and been happier, anything wider and you will start bumping into things)
3/16 X 2 X 1 channel
3/8 X 2 grade 8 bolts

Some details of the pass side bracket. Driver's is pretty much identical. It goes without saying that I am not a master welder so go easy...

They just need a little grinding on the sharp corners and some paint to be done.

Forgot to mention - one goal here was to re-use all of the stock, threaded mounting points for the original FJ brackets/sliders.
PS_frame.jpg
PS_FRAME_DETAIL1.jpg
PS_FRAME_DETAIL2.jpg

Last one - BMW seat in the cruiser, slid forward. The seat belt receiver needs to be removed of course...

Hope this helps someone-

DF
DS_SEAT.jpg

Nicely done! I installed some LS300 seats a few years ago...and it made a huge difference in comfort. BMW seats are awesome (prolly better than the Lexus). Nice pics of the brackets.

Looks great, but I don't know if it beats the comfort of my wore out originals! I mean they have molded perfectly to my arse

Nicely done! I installed some LS300 seats a few years ago...and it made a huge difference in comfort. BMW seats are awesome (prolly better than the Lexus). Nice pics of the brackets.

Not trying to knock you but it must be a LS 400 or a ES 300.
Regardless I think if you like the cushiness then you will like the Lexus seats, If you like a firmer seat then the BMW would be better suited.

I recently installed some leather Subaru Outback seats with a little modification to adapt seats to the cruiser sliders. Certainly worth the minimal efforts

BTW- the BMW seats look great in the brown interior! Good stuff

Last edited:
Looks great, but I don't know if it beats the comfort of my wore out originals! I mean they have molded perfectly to my arse

I know what you mean but unfortunately my originals were molded to someone else's arse - they were 26 years old and I've only owned this thing for a year.

The leather Outback seats sound pretty nice. I failed to mention that finding seats that can be attached to the stock sliders is a much easier route than what I did. I actually thought I could do something like that with the BMWs until I brought them home and spent a few minutes messing with them.

Once I convinced myself that my seats had to change I found myself staring longingly in lots of car windows...

Yeah, I've been debating the seat thing but kinda want to re-upholster and stuff the originals, but not sure on how much that might run. Haven't really looked into it yet. Im kind of concerned about loosing the rear space for kids.(They already kick the hell out of it when I'm driving around).

How do they ride?

I located an older set of Recaros from a 3 Series that I had re-upholtered and refurbished, then fit them into my '85. I made adapters which allow use of the original Toy slider mechanisms to bolt to the seat bottom. Everything went together well, but when I started driving for real I noticed the seat front rides very high relative to the back, putting your knees very upright. This give the ol' quads a bit of a isometric exercise when holding the clutch in traffic. Let's just say the bottom side bolsters are a bit "aggressive" form my Wife, and I've now put the original passenger seat back in for her. Looks a bit odd, but that's what custom is all about.

Are you noticing any of this? I like your custom frames and may try that at some point.
FJ 60 Recaros 1.jpg
FJ 60 Recaros 2.jpg

Last edited:
Everything went together well, but when I started driving for real I noticed the seat front rides very high relative to the back, putting your knees very upright. This give the ol' quads a bit of a isometric exercise when holding the clutch in traffic. Let's just say the bottom side bolsters are a bit "aggressive" form my Wife, and I've now put the original passenger seat back in for her. Looks a bit odd, but that's what custom is all about.

Are you noticing any of this? I like your custom frames and may try that at some point.

I think that I am getting a little of the "high front" issue you describe, but with a little hacksawing I can probably get the front down another 1/2". There is an extra flange on the bottom of the front of the BMW sliders that can be removed. The side bolsters are pretty mellow on these seats, though from what I can tell the leather "sport" versions have much bigger bolstering. Enough that getting in and out of a lifted truck could become a little annoying.

I would love to be out test-driving the $#%! out of these seats but as soon as I finished getting them mounted and cleaned up and ready to roll, I went to check the oil and the dipstick tube broke off, flush at the block! Classic. So I've got a wooden dowel tapped in the hole while I wait for the part to come in, and I'm trying not to put too many miles on in the meantime.

ColoRado - as far as the re-stuffing goes, I think that Specter sells new foam and fabric but it's very pricey. Enough so that I would prob just go for the drop-in Procar/IPORs for the same or even less money. Also, I haven't lost any of the space behind the seat, and the back still folds down just like before too.

DF

I love the way those BMW Seats look - and I can only imagine how much more supportive they are. I'm on the fence about taking out the originals - but I'm planning a big road trip for next summer and would love something a bit less fatigue-causing than these terrible seats the 60 series came with. My friend's dad had a new one in the late 80's and recall how uncomfortable the seats right off the lot!

For some of us, that "high front" position works well. I've got long legs and finicky knees, so I had my seat bracket designed to provide good leg support and take the pressure off my knees when cruising. That said, those seats look like they're very nice, and it was a great idea to put them in there!

EDIT:
I'm a clown and didn't realize I was getting sucked into an old thread...disregard me...

Last edited:
Know that this is a bit old of a thread but what lift and wheel/tire combo are you running? So jealous as that is exactly how I will want my cruiser to look like, color and everything. Now if it had a diesel and H55f/NV4500 in it I would be changing my shorts right now.

Search feature for the win.

Very nice instructions to be found in this thread. It has helped me tremendously!
Bill D.

Last edited:
so are you going to start selling these for us guys without any welding abilities? ;)

My welding "abilities" are so limited that it would feel like a scam...

I do think someone with a shop could crank out a version of these pretty easily and make a couple bucks. But then the shipping costs would make everybody go back to trying to make their own.

What seats are you trying to put in?

^ Those are cool, but they don't work on older 60s (pre-86 or 87). The floor and mounts are different.

Last edited:
I will post a few pictures this week. My design plan doesn't require a welder but a plasma cutter does come in handy ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom