Cracked dash pad repair (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I got tired of looking at a cracked dash so iI decided to fiberglass it. Not a hard job just a few hours of labor. Total cost about $40
Not the greatest pics, but you will get the idea.

The first 2 are the cracks. Third pic is the fiberglass layer.
cracks.JPG
cracks 2.JPG
fibre.JPG

Here is the finished product without the brown paint. Going to finish it tomorrow.
Next week I will be making a new center console. Taller than stock, closer to shifter and with front and rear cup holders and 12v outputs. Ill post up pics of that biuld when im through.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

Oh, and by the way. If you go this route you can mould in gauge pods on top of the dash for extras. I did not because my budget is to tight to buy gauges now, hence not buying a dash pad.

Looks good... Like to see how the console looks, too. Nice work.

That looks great

Jeez, that's a great idea. Embellish the details on how this is done!

I like my crack!:D

Please post some simple instruction for those of us who have never done fiberglass work ... I'm ready to learn !!

that looks fantastic!

most definitely put up details!! I am in need of doing this also.

This is what I did

1- cut out high spots in pad and clean with acetone or some type of wax and grease remover.
2- lay out the fiberglass or in my case I used a fleece material(it's cheaper, easier to get). I used a 1/4" crown staple gun with 3/8 staple to secure the material on the underside, staple into the foam. Some of the sharp corners have to be cut and stapled into a seam.
3- mix up fibreglass resin and coat entire surface until saturated.
4- when dry, go around and trine edges with a dremel cutoff wheel. Then a rough sand whith 80 grit from the orbital sander.
5- set the vent trim bezels back in(only the bezel, not the ball and housing).
6- skim coat with bondo, entire surface. Run the bondo up to the bezels for a clean finish.
7- sand bondo and re apply as needed. Finish sand to 180 grit. Some sanding needs to be done by hand to make the round areas smooth.
8- I sprayed a coat of primer, then textured paint, like the metal finish rattle can to give it texture(not needed if you want it smooth)let dry over night
9- paint with color( I used brown and then top coated with a flat clear.

I will post up some pics tomorrow of it installed.To dark for pics now. It looks pretty much stock, thats what I was going for. I found a brown rattle can at home depot that matches the factory brown really close.

Last edited:
Rover,

Summerville Class of 93! Go Greenwave!

This is a really nice job. Any chance you have any hi res photos you could send or photos of it once installed?

Great work!

What is this fleece material you speak of?

smicko work there chief::

how did you coat the fibreglass??

marine or car fibreglass??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom