Speedometer gear problems again, look what I found... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Bought ans installed a new Speedo driven gear from CDan last week for my speedometer which started working good after about two years without having a speedometer. Well, after 215 miles it went out again on me:crybaby:. I pulled it off again and I found a chunk of metal (not aluminum) stuck to the gear (2nd pic). The one before lasted 100 miles and the gear was also messed up on it. 1st pic shows the metal piece, 3rd pic shows the gear that lasted 100 miles on top and the newest one on the bottom.

This TC was rebuilt when the wagon got the vortec (~10K miles ago) and I have only used 4wd about 5 times (no more than 20 miles). Is there a way to look for something obvious inside the TC without pulling it out?

Thanks,
ML
MVC-008S.JPG
MVC-011S.JPG
MVC-013S.JPG

The first thing I'd look at is the idler shaft tab. If it starts backing out you'll have all sorts of issues and they really don't give you much notice until it slips enough to have a gear fall out of place and then bam you're screwed!

You can pull the back half of the transfer case off without removing it. You have to get the vehicle way up in the air to have room to work but it isn't terrible.

The first thing I'd look at is the idler shaft tab. If it starts backing out you'll have all sorts of issues and they really don't give you much notice until it slips enough to have a gear fall out of place and then bam you're screwed!

You can pull the back half of the transfer case off without removing it. You have to get the vehicle way up in the air to have room to work but it isn't terrible.

Thanks Eric,

My wagon was missing the idler shaft tab and temporarily put a washer in its place. It did not apper to have slipped out at all, but now I have doubts...here's my post from last week.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/367314-transfer-case-part-name.html

Remove the transfer case PTO side cover and have a look in there.

Jim, this would be the cover on the back, driver-side of the TC, correct?

Thanks,

ML

No, remove the cast aluminum cover on the driver's side of the case. It's held on w/ about six 12mm hex head bolts.

The rear cover is held on w/ 14mm bolts, and removing it won't show you very much

Finally got to open the TC and found more metal pieces inside including the one in pics 1 & 2. Any ideas??? picture #3 shows one of the gears with what appear to have broken pieces.

TIA,
ML
MVC-029S.JPG
MVC-030S.JPG
MVC-031S.JPG

there is normally a big ring shaped splash shield that bolts there, looks like it got totally torn off somehow.. how does the rest of the stuff look? are the gear teeth OK, I can't believe it ate that part...

WOW....thats crazy

there is normally a big ring shaped splash shield that bolts there, looks like it got totally torn off somehow.. how does the rest of the stuff look? are the gear teeth OK, I can't believe it ate that part...

some of the teeth have small chip on the edges but not too bad...

WOW....thats crazy

who do you think did the rebuild???

there is normally a big ring shaped splash shield that bolts there, looks like it got totally torn off somehow..

anybody have a picture of what the shield looks like?

Thanks,
ML

Looks like you spilled your cappuccino in there David, good thing you rebuilt it. :p

Looks like you spilled your cappuccino in there David, good thing you rebuilt it. :p

that was after one of our many mudd trips that include at least one or 2 rivers to cross ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom